Bane (210)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RobertF View Post
    Not the greatest episode, but I liked the bugs! The first shot of the episode, showing the empty city with the skyscrapers and rail line above the water (monorail?) was pretty cool.

I spotted my first Stargate blooper. While SG1 is in the abandoned city in the opening scene, you can see the reflections of moving vehicles in the glass behind O'Neil. Also, I heard seagulls in the background while Teal'c was stumbling into the abandoned warehouse. They must have filmed the scene close to the dockyard in Vancouver. The scene where Teal'c assaults his guards in the truck was filmed on a stretch of Canadian highway (with the towering pines growing on either side) that looked familiar from several X-files episodes.

Also, I'd never noticed until this episode - does Carter wear lipstick on every mission?
    Just about, and on the last ep of SGA she's wearing diamond stud earrings. It reminds me of this poster:
    Senior Airman Polly Bobseine.jpg

Bwahaha!
    sigpic
    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Pros:

Tangling with Maybourne. Jack has some great, classic lines:
      "Request permission to beat the crap out of this man."
      "I'm not going to hit you, Maybourne...I'm going to shoot you."
      Jack's accidentally-smart moment that saves Jr. (the larval goa'uld).
      Chris Judge's acting.
      The team's love and dedication to finding a cure for Teal'c, and not giving up.
      The street-wise little girl who's not jaded enough to ignore Teal'c's plight.
      The watergun fight at the end.

and I thought Daniel flapping the wet shirt at the end was funny.

Cons:

It's icky gross with the metamorphosis and Teal'c could burst into a bug hive at any moment.
      sigpic
      sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
      "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

The way I feel about this episode is that it's basically one of the stronger weak episodes, if that makes any sense. You can see my full review for it here, but I don't get the hate...
        ...but I'm also a really big X-Files fan. So I dig the grossness, which we didn't even really get that much of, relatively speaking. No livers were eaten. No maggots came out of anyone's stomach. No Cancer Man tried to kill Scully. No bugs were eating people's faces from the inside out. No crazy women were ripping out people's spinal cords with their teeth and sucking out the spinal fluid.
        X-Files/Fringe rant aside, the point is, the grossness factor of this could have been much worse.

Teal'c had some good moments, I loved to see O'Neill gain up on Maybourne (who is a seemingly eternal jerkface), and Ally is my hero. She's probably the coolest kid that's made an appearance so far.
        And it was really neat how she stuck up for Teal'c even though he's so weird.

Also, that ending is the goofiest thing in the universe... but I don't care. It's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
          Pros:

Tangling with Maybourne. Jack has some great, classic lines:
          "Request permission to beat the crap out of this man."
          "I'm not going to hit you, Maybourne...I'm going to shoot you."
          Jack's accidentally-smart moment that saves Jr. (the larval goa'uld).
          Chris Judge's acting.
          The team's love and dedication to finding a cure for Teal'c, and not giving up.
          The street-wise little girl who's not jaded enough to ignore Teal'c's plight.
          The watergun fight at the end.

and I thought Daniel flapping the wet shirt at the end was funny.
          Totally agree with all your points...and I'll add that I loved Ally telling Mayborne off "I don't like the way you smell". Besides that, I had completely forgotten about this episode until the rewatch. Not amazing, but not the worst Stargate episode out there.

Comment

Personally, I thought it was nice to see some more of the playful side of Teal'c, because I don't think we see it very often...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
            "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
            a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

This episode was pretty bad..
              Only scene that was good, was at the end when Teal'c played with the water guns, I have to admit that I kinda smiled, haha.

Comment

AAAAAAH! BUGS! BIG HONKIN' BUGS!! *runs in panic* Get them away, get them away!!!!

Sorry... Anybody got a can of Raid?

This is yet another 'icky' episode. *shudders* Bugs? Giant cobwebs? Ewwww! Nice to see Teal'c interact with the girl, though. The water guns at the end were awesome. The way he puts on those sunglasses, 'shoots' Daniel, and then leaves to play is great.
                "Y'know; Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No Longer in posession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WHACKO!!!!!"

The perfect couple!

Comment

not a bad ep, I didn't like Maybourne's lot as much before they got the sleek black SUVs.

Loved the last little scene, Ally was so cute and I loved her on the phone "I had to speak to, like, 15 people" just like a teenager...
                  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Big bugs!! And a pigeon-problem that reminded me of a TV-show over here where they explore what-if situations in a funny way... one of their sketches this season was "What if pigeons are bigger?" -- I think you can all imagine what happened in it.

Maybourne - loved it when Jack asked permission to hit him and Hammond had to think for a second. Yes Maybourne, for a moment there it looked like he was grant Jack's wish.

Big disgusting bugs and bug-things... ew!

Aw, Junior almost died, but Jack saved him... sort of anyway. If he hadn't talked about ER, Sam and Janet might not have considered the thought.

And Ally's the coolest kid ever in the history of Stargate!

And oh yeah, an uninhabitat planet should be uninhabitat, meaning digitally delete those cars moving in the windows.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Guess I'm going to land in the camp of those few who enjoy the episode. Okay, it isn't a great one, but it's not that bad one either. I've noticed that most of people have problems with oh, so-cliche-space-bugs here, but I do not. Maybe that's because I didn't watch/read/listened to enough space bugs stories, or because I play Starcraft 2 best for the Zerg... Anyway, here's my opinion:

First of all, the props and VFX for the bugs were indeed well done. Then we have some funny bits of Teal'C telling the punks about his tattoo, even funnier interaction between him and Ally and the final scene will always make me smile. I did laugh at the Mayborune-Jack/Ally interaction too. Timothy's line about the garden variety mosquito went into the Russian dub as "one @#$% of a gnat" so it was a shocker to hear it in an entirely different tone in English

Also, nobody seemed to notice that: Ally's baseball cap has a bio-hazard sign on it

And it'd have been real entertaining to see Ally under consideration to join the SG program, having her basic training completed with Teal'C as mentor and stuffs.

So, not really that bad IMO.

Rating: 7/10
                      Last edited by Vagabond Serpent; 09 January 2014, 09:31 AM.
                      Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

Just finished watching this ep, and I did feel some similarities with the X-Files, which I love. Ally is great, as is the ending.

I'm looking forward to seeing her return as Cassie.

Comment

For me among the best episodes. Nice bugs, nice metamorphosis and a great kid.

Funny ending with Jackson in his wet shirt - that shot must have hurt from close range!
                          CARPE DIEM
                          ANJA

Comment

Originally posted by Anja View Post
                            Funny ending with Jackson in his wet shirt - that shot must have hurt from close range!
                            That was actually an adlib from Michael Shanks, and it worked beautifully.

Comment

Not one of the greats, but lots of fun comedy moments.
                              sigpic

Comment

Big ugly bugs wreaking havoc on the human population -- sounds like the ever returning mosquito problems during summer-time. Except that we don't get transformed into mosquitos like the bugs are doing here.

It's an ew-episode, which gives me the creepy crawlies all over, but I do enjoy the interaction between Ally and Teal'c. And of course, the supersoaker ending.

Maybourne's always a hoot to have around and that moment when Jack asks Hammond permission to punch him and the General looks like he might actually permit -- that look on Maybourne's face though -- PRICELESS!

We get some more info on Junior and what he needs to survive outside of Teal'c's pouch.

Also, when you want a local place to look like it belongs on an uninhabited planet, which used to belong to a more advanced race than us, perhaps check twice what's going on in the background, cause those cars really do ruin the moment, you know.

How would you rate SG-1's "Bane?"

Excellent
                                Good
                                Fair
                                Poor
                                Terrible

3-episode quiz -- THIS WAY!

Jigsaw puzzle!
                                Last edited by Falcon Horus; 03 January 2018, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X