This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request, Omnipedia "Actor" Section

To D&D & everyone else: can we add a section to the Omnipedia, "Actors/Actresses". The "Characters" section tells us lots o stuff about the characters these people play, but what if we wanted to know more about the actor?
    I remember the first time I saw Felger, I thought he looked a lot like the guy on the Red Green Show, so I had to go to imdb.com, look up "Red Green Show, The", see who played that guy, and see his "notable TV appearances" section just to confirm that was him. It would be nice if we could come to gateworld.net, click on the character in the Omnipedia, and it would bring us to a different page for that Actor.
    Right now, the "Played By:" links in the Characters section just loads their respective page on imdb.com. If they had a page on gateworld.net, it could also include quotes from that actor about their character, past interviews with that actor, etc. The link to their imdb.com page could be nested in there.
    imdb.com is a great resource, I use it all the time, but since it is not Stargate-centric, which is what people using this website want to see.
    Also, with this added section, when people post to the forums, a step could be added to look for phrases, like "Amanda Tapping" or "AT" or "RDA" and when these phrases are found, they are hyperlinked to that actors page. This will be explained more in another thread tho...
    -GuyFromOH
    I'm a guy, from Ohio.
    ------------------------------------
    Teal'c: "Chelnak!"
    Daniel: "Direct translation: Very
    cool!"

Dude, that is a really, really good idea.

I'd love to do a Stargate-specific version of IMDb at GateWorld, especially as the SG universe expands to more than the one show. It probably wouldn't be a part of the Omnipedia, though, which is intended to be an exhausive encyclopedia of the fictional universe.

As such a project would likely need to be heavily database-driven, it will be some time before we can really tackle it and sink our teeth into it. But we will give it some thought!

And sorry for calling you "Dude."
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
      And sorry for calling you "Dude."
      Dude, It's cool.
      -GuyFromOH
      I'm a guy, from Ohio.
      cool!"

Comment

Yeah good idea!

Whoa! Darren, you changed your avatar! Ahhh!
        sigpic
        Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

I'm still brewing this idea in the back of my brain. It would be a stand-alone section of GateWorld, and would probably have a lot of similarities to the Omnipedia (such as framing).

What we would need to get it going is really a volunteer who wanted to be a full-time editor for this section of the site, writing and HTML-ing new entries and updating existing entries with each new episode. If anyone here is interested -- no, not just interested ... really, really enthusiastic -- please drop me a line at [email protected] and tell me a bit about yourself!

Comment

I'm still brewing this idea in the back of my brain. It would be a stand-alone section of GateWorld, and would probably have a lot of similarities to the Omnipedia (such as framing).

What we would need to get it going is really a volunteer who wanted to be a full-time editor for this section of the site, writing and HTML-ing new entries and updating existing entries with each new episode. If anyone here is interested -- no, not just interested ... really, really enthusiastic -- please drop me a line at [email protected] and tell me a bit about yourself!
            well, this message is a bit old, but if you are still looking for someone to work on that, I offer my services to help out. Especially since it was my idea anyways... what is the current status on the project?
            -GuyFromOH
            I'm a guy, from Ohio.
            cool!"

Comment

Originally posted by GuyFromOH
              what is the current status on the project?
              David recently said it was being considered - so I guess that means it hasnt been started yet
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

The current status: Nobody has e-mailed me.

It's something I very much want to do, but we don't currently have the manpower (personpower?) on staff to maintain it and keep it up-to-date week to week with each new episode.

Comment

I think it's a great idea and I am very much interested in doing something like this. The question I want to ask is what database technology are using where do we get the info that is accurate, reliable and up to date.
                  "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

I would, but I would proably screw it up

Comment

The current status: Nobody has e-mailed me.

It's something I very much want to do, but we don't currently have the manpower (personpower?) on staff to maintain it and keep it up-to-date week to week with each new episode.
                      Email sent...if you are still looking...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                      "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Working...
                      X