This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateworld.Net Countdown Clock Request

To the MODERATORS, on behalf of all of us gateheads, a countdown clock on the main page of www.gateworld.net would be GREATLY appreciated.

I would personally make a donation to have a custom SG-1 and SG:A clocks created...

http://www.clockdown.com/

Anyone else up for it?

David H
    "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Let me see if I've got this right: rather than trusting the fan countdown threads here and rather than having one of our codemonkeys come up with a simple clock for the main site, you think Gateworld should BUY one? The ones at that site are very pretty, but I can't see forking over money for something so temporary.

Comment

Am I the only one who finds countdown clocks irritating?? We don't need a countdown clock on the main page because most of us are perfectly aware of how long we've got to go.

Comment

I'd like a simple FREE one from a codemonkey. I'm sure SOMEONE would do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Egeria
          Am I the only one who finds countdown clocks irritating?? We don't need a countdown clock on the main page because most of us are perfectly aware of how long we've got to go.
          I'm not a fan of countdown clocks. I'm not even a fan of countdown THREADS. But if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to choose a clock, I'd go with a freebie.

Comment

I did mention that I'd make a donation toward it. Plus I wouldn't call it TEMPORARY since there are three hiatuses(sp?) a year. Besides, I'm not such a gatehead that I can tell you the DATE the new eps start airing. I just know sometime in July.

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            I'm not a fan of countdown clocks. I'm not even a fan of countdown THREADS. But if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to choose a clock, I'd go with a freebie.
            "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Comment

Originally posted by chyron
              I did mention that I'd make a donation toward it. Plus I wouldn't call it TEMPORARY since there are three hiatuses(sp?) a year. Besides, I'm not such a gatehead that I can tell you the DATE the new eps start airing. I just know sometime in July.
              Why pay for something when you can make your own for free? And we'd be limited by their designs, whereas one of OUR codemonkeys could whip up a custom clock just for us.

And just because YOU don't know the specific date doesn't mean that there aren't dozens who DO know, and there are probably a few among them who could figure out the exact time left, down to the second.

If it's that important to you, you could always buy the clock for yourself.

Comment

From my own personal utterly jaundiced and very curmudgeonly pov, I say no. SkyOne won't have any new eps till at least September so I don't really want a countdown clock that will be just plain WRONG

Seriously though, it's not the moderators' call, just Darren's.

Madeleine

Comment

Maybe a countdown clock with all available countdowns, not just the Sci-Fi Channel's, I don't know.

I personally like them to an extent but only to an extent.
                  If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                    From my own personal utterly jaundiced and very curmudgeonly pov, I say no. SkyOne won't have any new eps till at least September so I don't really want a countdown clock that will be just plain WRONG .
                    It would amount to some kind of torture to see the months left.

Originally posted by Jeff O'Connor
                    Maybe a countdown clock with all available countdowns, not just the Sci-Fi Channel's, I don't know.
                    Would these countdowns include countdown clocks until SG-1 season 8 and SGA are shown on UK terrestrial TV? And the extra year + so many months before SG-1 season 9 and SGA season 2 were shown on UK terrestrial TV? That could ONLY be horrifically depressing - seeing the US clock saying they're showing SG-1 Season 9 and SGA season 2 would be like rubbing salt into the wounds.

Personally I don't think we need clocks - the threads in the forum already serve that purpose.

Comment

I don't want a clock. It'd be too depressing.
                      TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                        Let me see if I've got this right: rather than trusting the fan countdown threads here and rather than having one of our codemonkeys come up with a simple clock for the main site, you think Gateworld should BUY one? The ones at that site are very pretty, but I can't see forking over money for something so temporary.
                        That was a truly, wonderfully written put down of someone's idea.
                        Last edited by Lida; 16 May 2005, 01:08 PM.
                        On fighting:
                        Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                        Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                          That was a truly, wonderfully written put down of soneone's idea.
                          If you have anything positive or relevant to say, say it. If you want to disagree or agree with the idea of paying for a countdown clock for the forum (which are, as shadow said, very pretty and which are, as shadow said, temporary) then please go ahead and agree or disagree.

Criticising other posters for not agreeing is pretty pointless and is Off Topic.

Thanks.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by starfish

Would these countdowns include countdown clocks until SG-1 season 8 and SGA are shown on UK terrestrial TV? And the extra year + so many months before SG-1 season 9 and SGA season 2 were shown on UK terrestrial TV? That could ONLY be horrifically depressing - seeing the US clock saying they're showing SG-1 Season 9 and SGA season 2 would be like rubbing salt into the wounds.
                            Yeah, I know. I was just being... well, anyway. Yeah, I know. It'd be quite depressing and so I don't like the other either, personally.
                            If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                              From my own personal utterly jaundiced and very curmudgeonly pov, I say no. SkyOne won't have any new eps till at least September so I don't really want a countdown clock that will be just plain WRONG

Not just that, but it would remind us of how many boring days we have! It wouldn't be until the last two or three days where we actually pay attention.

Plus the clocks would be in all different time-zones. You'd still have to make some changes, anyway .. unless it automatically changes to your computer time-zone settings.

Personally, no, it's probably not a good idea to have one, since it's best to keep the homepage clean - but if Darren did decide to put one up, I'm sure it would be the best countdown clock we've ever seen.
                              __

__

Comment

Working...
                              X