• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep I agree!
    sigpic

Comment

Hey, O'Neill lost his hat!

He was walking on the steps with Sam in Washington wearing it and her her beret...and then he leaves to "get some air" and he's neither wearing nor carrying the hat.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

yeah i have just noticed that too wonder what happened too it i thought they had to carry it at all times

Comment

Originally posted by zats
          Excellent. My work here is done.

sure is

Comment

I just rewatched this episode

And I must say one of the best things about it is the music, especially the scenes on Abydos--they fit the mood extremely well!

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee View Post
              I must admit, I thought that the reporters death was a little odd. It was never really followed up on. It's almost as if it was put in as a feed for a later ep. which never got made. Perhaps it was felt to be too contraversial?
              The thing that interests me is the scene where Hammond tells Jack it was an accident. It's kind of hard to explain, but I'll do my best. It didn't feel like an explanation or a reassurance. It was too emphatic. In a way, it felt to me like Hammond was trying to convince Jack, and make sure he didn't look too much into it.

I'm definitely not suggesting Hammond was responsible, but he might know that something untoward happened. He'd already made references to things happening at higher levels.

I'm not sure how clear that is, but I hope people can get the general idea.

Comment

I know exactly what you're getting at, Kimberlyrose - the sense to me is also that Hammond knew a lot more than he was letting on. Not that he was personally behind what happened (this is General Hammond we're talking about!), but that he knew it had been 'arranged' and (possibly) who by. For Jack to go hunting would merely re-release the freshly re-canned worms; so he made it as clear as he could, short of issuing a direct order, that it was best to let sleeping dogs lie.

I'm not surprised the remarkably convenient 'road accident' wasn't followed up in a later ep. I don't think it was meant to be. It merely hints that some areas of Government (NID, perhaps?) are prepared to go to extraordinary lengths to secure the secrecy of the Stargate Programme. Or are they? Who's to say it wasn't a genuine accident?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka's_Mum View Post
                  I know exactly what you're getting at, Kimberlyrose - the sense to me is also that Hammond knew a lot more than he was letting on. Not that he was personally behind what happened (this is General Hammond we're talking about!), but that he knew it had been 'arranged' and (possibly) who by. For Jack to go hunting would merely re-release the freshly re-canned worms; so he made it as clear as he could, short of issuing a direct order, that it was best to let sleeping dogs lie.

I'm not surprised the remarkably convenient 'road accident' wasn't followed up in a later ep. I don't think it was meant to be. It merely hints that some areas of Government (NID, perhaps?) are prepared to go to extraordinary lengths to secure the secrecy of the Stargate Programme. Or are they? Who's to say it wasn't a genuine accident?
                  Hammond and O'Neill both seem to imply that there was something going on here. But I seem to remember Jack saying that he was going to let the reporter find him, so how could anyone have known that the reporter would have been in the road at that moment?

For me, one of the most moving aspects of this episode is seeing Sam with her father, especially when he tells her that he has cancer. I'm looking forward to Jacob returning and seeing more of his relationship with Sam.
                  sigpic
                  Please don't laugh, this is one of my first attempts at a banner.

Comment

True, so unless they already had him under surveillance, they must have been watching Oniell.. But rewatching that scene, it does look like the car goes from a complete stop before it hits him, so to me it was planned....

I am just surprised we never heard any more of it... as i am sure the reporter's station would have pressed to find out what was up.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      I am just surprised we never heard any more of it... as i am sure the reporter's station would have pressed to find out what was up.
                      I agree - I was surprised that we heard no more about the press. I suppose the journalist could have been freelance, or maybe they were able to convince the station/paper that it really was an accident. Maybe they thought it was too delicate/complicated/risky to persue the matter any further.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Harlan's Speechwriter View Post
                        But I seem to remember Jack saying that he was going to let the reporter find him, so how could anyone have known that the reporter would have been in the road at that moment?
                        They (whoever "they" are) could have been watching Jack. If the car was already following him, and if they had someone (probably on foot) watching and reporting what was going on, it would probably have been easy to arrange an "accident."

Comment

Originally posted by kimberlyrose View Post
                          The thing that interests me is the scene where Hammond tells Jack it was an accident. It's kind of hard to explain, but I'll do my best. It didn't feel like an explanation or a reassurance. It was too emphatic. In a way, it felt to me like Hammond was trying to convince Jack, and make sure he didn't look too much into it.

I'm definitely not suggesting Hammond was responsible, but he might know that something untoward happened. He'd already made references to things happening at higher levels.

I'm not sure how clear that is, but I hope people can get the general idea.
                          Exactly how I felt. But it is SO unlike Hammond! I agree that it is unthinkable that Hammond ordered it done. Nor do I think that if he was given that order, unless it was by the president (and even then only if he could make a compelling case that it was an issue of national security and would save lives), do I think he would carry it out. (there ARE circumstances in the military where you are allowed to disobey or refuse to obey an order.)

On the other hand, I think Hammond might be indirectly involved. Such as being told that this had been a govt job, and then being ordered to disavow any knowledge of that and pretend it was an accident.

On the other hand, why would Hammond be so forceful in trying to tell Jack it was an "accident." that scene meant something, Hammond could just as easily have simply let the matter drop.

And then there's Jack's reaction to this...Oneill and Hammond have a pretty good feel for each other, and Jack definitly recognized something fishy going on.

I'm still on the 2nd season, so I dont know, but from what I'm reading it sounds like this matter with the reporter is never addressed again, am I right? If so....straaaaange.
                          (Hammond to O'neill)
                          "You know that's my car, right?"

Comment

So now that we've all said the exact same things several times over...what have we learned?

anybody?

Nothing. I guess that's why this episode is called-
                            (Hammond to O'neill)
                            "You know that's my car, right?"

Comment

Originally posted by Saganite View Post
                              So now that we've all said the exact same things several times over...what have we learned?

anybody?
                              Er - the reporter snuffed it?

OK. I'll shut up now.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka's_Mum View Post
                                Er - the reporter snuffed it?
                                Did he??? I never spotted that!

Sorry. I'll go back into my box now.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X