Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Secrets (209)

Chief Master Sergeant kimberlyrose's Avatar

Default Re: Secrets (209)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBee View Post
    I must admit, I thought that the reporters death was a little odd. It was never really followed up on. It's almost as if it was put in as a feed for a later ep. which never got made. Perhaps it was felt to be too contraversial?
    The thing that interests me is the scene where Hammond tells Jack it was an accident. It's kind of hard to explain, but I'll do my best. It didn't feel like an explanation or a reassurance. It was too emphatic. In a way, it felt to me like Hammond was trying to convince Jack, and make sure he didn't look too much into it.

I'm definitely not suggesting Hammond was responsible, but he might know that something untoward happened. He'd already made references to things happening at higher levels.

I'm not sure how clear that is, but I hope people can get the general idea.

I know exactly what you're getting at, Kimberlyrose - the sense to me is also that Hammond knew a lot more than he was letting on. Not that he was personally behind what happened (this is General Hammond we're talking about!), but that he knew it had been 'arranged' and (possibly) who by. For Jack to go hunting would merely re-release the freshly re-canned worms; so he made it as clear as he could, short of issuing a direct order, that it was best to let sleeping dogs lie.

I'm not surprised the remarkably convenient 'road accident' wasn't followed up in a later ep. I don't think it was meant to be. It merely hints that some areas of Government (NID, perhaps?) are prepared to go to extraordinary lengths to secure the secrecy of the Stargate Programme. Or are they? Who's to say it wasn't a genuine accident?

Chief Master Sergeant Harlan's Speechwriter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka's_Mum View Post
    I know exactly what you're getting at, Kimberlyrose - the sense to me is also that Hammond knew a lot more than he was letting on. Not that he was personally behind what happened (this is General Hammond we're talking about!), but that he knew it had been 'arranged' and (possibly) who by. For Jack to go hunting would merely re-release the freshly re-canned worms; so he made it as clear as he could, short of issuing a direct order, that it was best to let sleeping dogs lie.

I'm not surprised the remarkably convenient 'road accident' wasn't followed up in a later ep. I don't think it was meant to be. It merely hints that some areas of Government (NID, perhaps?) are prepared to go to extraordinary lengths to secure the secrecy of the Stargate Programme. Or are they? Who's to say it wasn't a genuine accident?
    Hammond and O'Neill both seem to imply that there was something going on here. But I seem to remember Jack saying that he was going to let the reporter find him, so how could anyone have known that the reporter would have been in the road at that moment?

For me, one of the most moving aspects of this episode is seeing Sam with her father, especially when he tells her that he has cancer. I'm looking forward to Jacob returning and seeing more of his relationship with Sam.
    Please don't laugh, this is one of my first attempts at a banner.

Major General

True, so unless they already had him under surveillance, they must have been watching Oniell.. But rewatching that scene, it does look like the car goes from a complete stop before it hits him, so to me it was planned....

I am just surprised we never heard any more of it... as i am sure the reporter's station would have pressed to find out what was up.

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I am just surprised we never heard any more of it... as i am sure the reporter's station would have pressed to find out what was up.
    I agree - I was surprised that we heard no more about the press. I suppose the journalist could have been freelance, or maybe they were able to convince the station/paper that it really was an accident. Maybe they thought it was too delicate/complicated/risky to persue the matter any further.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan's Speechwriter View Post
    But I seem to remember Jack saying that he was going to let the reporter find him, so how could anyone have known that the reporter would have been in the road at that moment?
    They (whoever "they" are) could have been watching Jack. If the car was already following him, and if they had someone (probably on foot) watching and reporting what was going on, it would probably have been easy to arrange an "accident."

Uncertain Re: Secrets (209)

Quote Originally Posted by kimberlyrose View Post
    The thing that interests me is the scene where Hammond tells Jack it was an accident. It's kind of hard to explain, but I'll do my best. It didn't feel like an explanation or a reassurance. It was too emphatic. In a way, it felt to me like Hammond was trying to convince Jack, and make sure he didn't look too much into it.

I'm definitely not suggesting Hammond was responsible, but he might know that something untoward happened. He'd already made references to things happening at higher levels.

I'm not sure how clear that is, but I hope people can get the general idea.
    Exactly how I felt. But it is SO unlike Hammond! I agree that it is unthinkable that Hammond ordered it done. Nor do I think that if he was given that order, unless it was by the president (and even then only if he could make a compelling case that it was an issue of national security and would save lives), do I think he would carry it out. (there ARE circumstances in the military where you are allowed to disobey or refuse to obey an order.)

On the other hand, I think Hammond might be indirectly involved. Such as being told that this had been a govt job, and then being ordered to disavow any knowledge of that and pretend it was an accident.

On the other hand, why would Hammond be so forceful in trying to tell Jack it was an "accident." that scene meant something, Hammond could just as easily have simply let the matter drop.

And then there's Jack's reaction to this...Oneill and Hammond have a pretty good feel for each other, and Jack definitly recognized something fishy going on.

I'm still on the 2nd season, so I dont know, but from what I'm reading it sounds like this matter with the reporter is never addressed again, am I right? If so....straaaaange.
    (Hammond to O'neill)
    "You know that's my car, right?"

So now that we've all said the exact same things several times over...what have we learned?

anybody?

Nothing. I guess that's why this episode is called-
    (Hammond to O'neill)
    "You know that's my car, right?"

Quote Originally Posted by Saganite View Post
    So now that we've all said the exact same things several times over...what have we learned?

anybody?
    Er - the reporter snuffed it?

OK. I'll shut up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka's_Mum View Post
    Er - the reporter snuffed it?
    Did he??? I never spotted that!

Sorry. I'll go back into my box now.

Chief Master Sergeant

As a relatively new poster, I don't know if this is appropriate. However, I was wondering if the actress who played Shaare was really pregnant since she and MS were together at that point and they have a child together.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilana View Post
    As a relatively new poster, I don't know if this is appropriate. However, I was wondering if the actress who played Shaare was really pregnant since she and MS were together at that point and they have a child together.
    I've heard that she really was pregnant when they were filming, but since she's decidedly not pregnant in her last couple of scenes, I have to wonder. They'd have to have filmed her scenes at the end of her pregnancy, hoping that she didn't go into labor early, and then wait (either leaving the relevant sets up, which eats up space, or rebuilding them later, which wouldn't be all that cheap) for the actress to give birth and return to work, and that'd probably be at least a few weeks.

I'm not saying that she wasn't actually pregnant during the filming, it's certainly possible, just that it seems unlikely to me.

Chief Master Sergeant HelloVelo's Avatar

This was another episode that made me want to hug poor Sam.

Rating: 9/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2008/06/secrets.html
    My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
    http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Lieutenant Colonel captain jake's Avatar

Arrow2 Re: Secrets (209)

Quote Originally Posted by HelloVelo View Post
    This was another episode that made me want to hug poor Sam.

Rating: 9/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2008/06/secrets.html
    I don't know about feeling sorry for Carter, I do feel sorry for Daniel though. He finds his wife only to learn that she has been impregnated and is still possessed by Amonet. Then of course she is taken away by Apophis once more. Though I guess you have a point, Sam is having petty spats with her father...

You have to wonder if a part of the government assassinated the reporter. The culprits could include The President, Kinsey, Hammond, or the NID. In my opinion it was Kinsey and his "associates".

Second Lieutenant

I really liked how Jack handled the reporter. Deny deny deny. His expressions also reveal nothing.

The famous "O'Neill with 2 L's" line. I never get tired of it.

I wonder if it was really an accident.

Why is Sha're back in Abydos? Apophis allowed her to go back there? Is it because he thinks the child would be safer there than with him? If Sha're saw Daniel in the gateroom, wouldn't the goa'uld inside her know it as well?

Heru'ur is such a wimp. Always running away. I loved it when Jack threw the knife.

Quote Originally Posted by L E E View Post
    I really liked how Jack handled the reporter. Deny deny deny. His expressions also reveal nothing.
    Sort of like when Jack was in a similar situation with Martin Lloyd in "Point of No Return".

And of course, the "two l's" quote is definitely brilliant.

Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Lieutenant Colonel captain jake's Avatar

Arrow2 Re: Secrets (209)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulkesh47 View Post
    Sort of like when Jack was in a similar situation with Martin Lloyd in "Point of No Return".
    When you have been in the secret service as long as Jack has you learn how to spin a lie.

Chief Master Sergeant

Awesome episode, has always been one of my favourites - again probably because of the Goa'uld content and the new story arc with Apophis's child and Heru'ur because he is cool - I just love the horus guards compared to the serpent guards.

I don't know if it was just me but Jack seemed to have doubt in this eye or maybe suspicious with Hammond when he got his medal, since he was the only one he told and then "the accident" happen it does put your suspicion right up there. It either really was an accident (because I can't see General Hammond ordering that done) or like others have said the other powers that be in regards to the Stargate program found out and had it done.

I wonder what it is that suppresses the Goa'uld when a women is with child probably some hormone that is increased during pregnancy. I bet it was also a conscious decision by Amauunet as well since she would know what Apophis's plans were, i guess that is also why he needed a new queen someone that could bear his child.

I loved how you got to see the horus suit fully unpack that was awesome special effects.

Heru'ur is so smug just standing there, good on Jack for throwing the knife - great aim.

Interesting back story with Sam's father also being in the Air Force.

I doubt it would be long before Shaur're lost what little control she (in regards to seeing them but not giving them up) had and Amauunet regained full control of the host. Got to feel sorry for Daniel, so close but so far.

Has it ever been actually revealed who the reporter's source was? I just watched this episode for the first time, and my immediate guess was Samuels, but I haven't seen anything to confirm or deny that.

Just throwing a random comment into the mix. I really liked this episode, for many of the reasons people have commented on (2L's comment, Jacob Carter, Sha're/Apophis/Heru'ur storyline, etc). But here are my two tops:

The dialogue here between Daniel and Teal'c ~ where Teal'c berates Daniel for feeling sorry for himself and urges him to do something ~ is fantastic.
    Daniel: Hasn't she gone through enough? I mean, what are you.... what are you talking about here Teal'c? Handing her over to Maybourne for study?
    Teal'c: The knowledge she possesses could one day save your world.
    Daniel: I DON'T CARE!
    *guh
    The later scene between Daniel and Sha're when she's giving birth was more overly dramatic for my tastes, but because of Shanks outrage here, the later scene was made more believable.

....and....

Teal'c: It is a lengthy tale.
    Jack: Long story, Teal'c

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast