This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek or Stargate?

what sci fi to you is more believeable? star trek in the future our the stargate here and now...or somthing close to those lines

i would have to say the Star Trek is a bit more believable...
    "A general is only as good as the people he commands."

Hmm....which is more believable? They are so very different in their flavor.

Star Trek has all that awesome ship based tech. Warp Drive, Photon/Quantum Torpedos, Transporters, Phasers, Shields. Add in aliens and ancient cultures/mysteries.

Stargate has all that awesome tech. Hyperdrive, Ship Mounted Cannons/Missiles, Asgard Beaming Tech, Zats, Shields. And don't forget all those ancient cultures and mysterious aliens.

Hmm....not a whole lot of difference there after all.

--Tom
    Thomas G Sluder
    Smyrna, DE, USA

Comment

Neither of them are really believable.

Comment

I suppose neither is that more believable than the other.
        Which is the better franchise may be a better question?
        I love Stargate(minus season 8)but I'd say I'd rate Trek above it. I'm afraid for me everything in Trek is of a better quality.
        On a stargate board, I'll be in thevast minority, of course.

Comment

DS9, TNG, and TOS > SG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dog vomit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Voyager, Enterprise in terms of quality

Comment

Originally posted by TomSluder
            Hmm....which is more believable? They are so very different in their flavor.

Star Trek has all that awesome ship based tech. Warp Drive, Photon/Quantum Torpedos, Transporters, Phasers, Shields. Add in aliens and ancient cultures/mysteries.

Stargate has all that awesome tech. Hyperdrive, Ship Mounted Cannons/Missiles, Asgard Beaming Tech, Zats, Shields. And don't forget all those ancient cultures and mysterious aliens.

Hmm....not a whole lot of difference there after all.

--Tom
            Except for one major difference......the century they take place in. Oh, and Jack doesn't always get the girl (alien or otherwise).....Daniel and Teal'C have him beat on that score, heck, they probably even beat Kirk. Hmmm, were you comparing ST or ST:TNG?????
            On fighting:
            Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
            Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by david2708
              I suppose neither is that more believable than the other.
              Which is the better franchise may be a better question?
              I love Stargate(minus season 8)but I'd say I'd rate Trek above it. I'm afraid for me everything in Trek is of a better quality.
              On a stargate board, I'll be in thevast minority, of course.
              I loved Star Trek, the original, cheesy at it was. I adored ST:TNG, for boldly going where no ONE had gone before, enjoyed DS9, never missed Voyager.....but couldn't get into Enterprise.

I think many Gaters are also Trekers(Trekies?).....they are not mutually exclusive. Just my opinion.......
              On fighting:

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
                Neither of them are really believable.
                Bingo.

But a future that is Star Trek LIKE (ship based exploration, encountering other space faring races, forming alliances with some, having wars with others) seems a lot more likely to me than discovering that Earth was once ruled by parasitical aliens masquerading as gods and utilizing an instantaneous form of galaxy wide travel that has laid buried in Egypt for the last 5,000 years.

DS9, TNG, and TOS > SG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dog vomit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Voyager, Enterprise in terms of quality
                Confound you Giantevilhead, you made me laugh out loud with that one. I might put SG on a par with TOS, and I might differentiate Season 4 of Enterprise as being far better than the first three, but overall, I think your scale has a lot of truth to it.

Comment

DS9, TNG, SG1, Voyager, SGA, Enterprise, TOS

I never could get into the original series, except for a few episodes, notably the one where Kirk and Spock tricked the female Romulan Commander. Some other episodes make me cringe. But TNG really spurred my love of sci-fi, and the last few seasons of DS9 (Dominion War years) are my favorite series of episodes. Voyager had tons of Borg, and their repulsive yet alluring queen, which is somthing I always liked. Enterprise had one very good season (Xindii) with a few good episodes scattered about. Did anyone else catch the mirror universe ep recently? That was a good one.

SG1, though, has the greatest number of favorite episodes, and good progression, so it's a solid third, practicaly tied with TNG. Maybe once SG1 passes into nostalgia, I might value it even more.

Atlantis only has potential at this point, as it's still too new, but what potential. Give it a year or two.

Seems that on average, I appreciate both franchises equally, but within the next year or two, depending on how good Atlantis turns out, this will change in favor or SG.

Edit: Oh yeah, I got sidetracked. As far as which is more "belilevable" heck, I suppose I was more taken in by Star Trek (eventually), since that was based almost entirely in the future, whereas Stargate drew on mythology, so I approached it with a greater degree of skepticism. Which may sound kind of odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
                    Bingo.

But a future that is Star Trek LIKE (ship based exploration, encountering other space faring races, forming alliances with some, having wars with others) seems a lot more likely to me than discovering that Earth was once ruled by parasitical aliens masquerading as gods and utilizing an instantaneous form of galaxy wide travel that has laid buried in Egypt for the last 5,000 years.
                    True but neither are believable in terms of technology. Although I do find the whole fighting for territory thing kind of unbelievable since space is huge and there are plenty of planets with resources ripe of the taking.

Confound you Giantevilhead, you made me laugh out loud with that one. I might put SG on a par with TOS, and I might differentiate Season 4 of Enterprise as being far better than the first three, but overall, I think your scale has a lot of truth to it.
                    Season 4 of Enterprise isn't that impressive. People think it's good because the first three are so crappy, it's like taking a bite of some stale fries after years of eating nothing but raw rotten potatoes.

Comment

Season 4 of Enterprise isn't that impressive. People think it's good because the first three are so crappy, it's like taking a bite of some stale fries after years of eating nothing but raw rotten potatoes.
                      I don't know, I liken it to DS9 or TNG seasons 3, when each of those series hit THEIR strides. Suddenly they started building plot lines and character stories that made each successive year better. Seasons 1 & 2 of TNG were pretty bad, and Season 1 of DS9 was about fifty/fifty of good as opposed to dreadful shows.

Had Season 4 of Enterprise been Season 1, 2, or even 3, I think the serires would probably have gotten really good. They finally got into the storylines of the foundation of the alliance that lead to the Federation, and the buildup to the Romulan war. That could have and should have been the story arc for the series from day one.

As is, too little, too late.

Comment

Admittadly, I've never been a Trek fan. I mean I got sucked into DS9 for a while, but almost as quickly as I became a regular the show was cancelled. So all and all I'm going to have to say Stargate. Part of my reasoning for this is that Stargate is still being produced in some form where as the future of Star Trek is up in the air. It is interesting that for a show which has the devout fans like Star Trek that it would ever be cancelled. Because lets face it. Trek fans are very well known, very well. But anyway. Yeah, Stargate's still on the air, Star Trek isn't. Therefore Stargate is better. lol. I'm sure DB will have something to say about my logic flow. We'll see what comes of it.
                        ~Teddy
                        "When I started school it was considered a miracle for an ass to talk, now I'm not so sure." ~Anonymous

"I do not agree with what you say, but I defend to my death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

"Like Broadway, the novel, and God, feminism has been declared dead many times" ~Katha Pollit

"I'm a feminist and I don't care who knows it." ~Me

Comment

I love them both, although the new ST series really stunk IMO. I definalty like Stargate better, but I really miss Next Generation & Voyager...great shows!
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm curious....if you think SG is "dog vomit", why are you here?
                            On fighting:

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                              I loved Star Trek, the original, cheesy at it was. I adored ST:TNG, for boldly going where no ONE had gone before, enjoyed DS9, never missed Voyager.....but couldn't get into Enterprise.
                              I'm with ya here Lida!....I loved all of the ST shows (DS9 being my favorite) till Enterprise (this last season was much better!). To me going back in time (early history of Starfleet) should have been left to a movie or two. I like seeing a more advanced ST. I hope the next series goes into the 25th or 26th century (Enterprise J )
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Working...
                              X