This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mythology Round-up!!!

I must be spacing but I can think of very few mythologies that SG-1 has encountered, refrenced, and/or explained.

I call on you to try to name a specific mythology(i.e. Atlantis) that only Stargate SG-1 has covered between "Children of the Gods" and the latest episode of the ninth episode that we currently know of.

Originally posted by walter_MacChevron
    I must be spacing but I can think of very few mythologies that SG-1 has encountered, refrenced, and/or explained.

I call on you to try to name a specific mythology(i.e. Atlantis) that only Stargate SG-1 has covered between "Children of the Gods" and the latest episode of the ninth episode that we currently know of.
    Come on walter...you ARE spacing. First, the Norse Gods mythology.....Midgard, Thor, Loki.....all real mythological characters. Then in Brief Candle and The Broca Divide, they touched on Greek mythology, in particular, Minoan legends. In Red Sky, even though the "myth" was Christian based, they bring in demonology and even a touch of witchcraft. Although it was not the first time a System Lord used the persona of Lucifer, it was the main theme of the episode. Sam, based on Jolinar's Memories, actually goes to Hell.

I'm certain there are many more I'm missing, but now I'm blanking.
    On fighting:
    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Well they have covered quite a bit of mythology, some a lot more than others. We know that the Egyptian mythologies have been explained through the Goa'uld storylines The only Goa'uld that don't fit into Egyptian mythology are Lord Yu (Chinese Mythology), Sokar (christianity, but he also fits in with Egyptian), and Kronos (Greek Mythology). There are a few others who fit in with the Keltic, Hindu, Myan, and a few other mythologies.

We know that the Asgard have taken the form of the Norse gods and maybe the Ancients or Orii have dabbled in Christian/Arthurian legend.

I know I am missing a few, maybe a bunch, but that all I can think of right now

Comment

Originally posted by AzMcNeil
        Well they have covered quite a bit of mythology, some a lot more than others. We know that the Egyptian mythologies have been explained through the Goa'uld storylines The only Goa'uld that don't fit into Egyptian mythology are Lord Yu (Chinese Mythology), Sokar (christianity, but he also fits in with Egyptian), and Kronos (Greek Mythology). There are a few others who fit in with the Keltic, Hindu, Myan, and a few other mythologies.

We know that the Asgard have taken the form of the Norse gods and maybe the Ancients or Orii have dabbled in Christian/Arthurian legend.

I know I am missing a few, maybe a bunch, but that all I can think of right now
        Well, in Spirits, they covered the mythology of the Pacific NW Indians.....and Camulus was connected with Gaelic/Celtic mythology, I think.

Now here's a good one....maybe a bit of a stretch....Tin Man could also be viewed as a modern retelling of the Greek myth of Pygmalion. The story goes, the king of Cyprus creates and falls in love with the statue of a beautiful women and and the Goddess Aphrodite brings the statue to life (her name being Galatea). In Tin Man, SG-1 "doubles" are brought to life, by Harlan. OK, it's a stretch, give me a break, it's late. I know I'm still missing many. The Zen Buddhism......many others. Oh well, my brain just doesn't work like it used too.

I just remembed, wasn't there an episode utilizing Aztec mythology....I can't remember the name of the episode, but Jack takes the little girl AWOL, to teach her to have fun......????? I'm blanking and I'm also blabbering, sorry. I'll stop.
        On fighting:

Comment

OK, I just remembered, the name of the episode is Learning Curve and Daniel believes he has uncovered evidence of an ancient Aztec (not Mayan) civilization connected to Teotihuacan, from South America, last known settlement known to be about 700 AD.

OK, I'm finished with school.
          On fighting:

Comment

lots of info on http://www.stargatehandbook.org/
            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
            love Torri

Comment

Salish Native American mythology in Spirits.
              Aztec mythology in Crystal Skull.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your Colonel speaking, welcome to ... P3X-niner-eight-niner ... where it's a balmy ... room temperature."

Comment

i thought it was mayan in crystal skull... dang, i need to rewatch that one...

also, IIRC zipacna was from one of those (i wanna say aztec, but not sure)... just going based off system lords, there's a BUNCH of different mythologies... and between them and episode plots, etc... just off the top of my head: egyptian, canaanite, babylonian, aztec, maya (??), greek, christian, native american, mongolian (?? well, whatever culture was in emacipation...), norse, hindu, shinto, some chinese (yu??), african (olokun), gaelic (??? morrigan ???), the atlantis myths (obviously )...

i'm sure there's more... in fact i know there is i just don't remember the culturefor some of the system lords

Comment

Contains spoilers through SG1 season 8 and Atlantis season 1, spoilers farther ahead than 8 or 1 are marked.

Chinese Mythology
                  Yu ("Fair Game"): Yu-Huang, the Jade Emperor, personally determines all that happens in heaven and earth. There was also Da-Yu, mythical founder of the Xia dynasty, called Yu the Great. Daniel referred to Yu as both the Jade Emperor and Yu the Great, so the Goa'uld Yu may have impersonated either or both.

Japanese Mythology
                  Amaterasu ("New Order I/II"): sun goddess

Egyptian Mythology
                  [ Amonet ("CotG"): Amaunet was a goddess known as the "hidden one", and consort to Aten, the short lived "one true God of Egypt". She is shown as a snake or snake head on which the Lower Egypt crown rests. I'm not certain if that persisted when the Upper and Lower crowns were made into one.] Court. of Lida
                  [ Sobek ("Summit"): the Egyptian crocodile god... according to my book here, the god of "pharaonic might"] Court. of Emily_Reich
                  Ra ("CotG"): sun god, also called Re
                  Hathor ("Hathor"): Queen Goddess
                  Seth/Setesh ("Seth"): God of chaos, war, and deserts
                  Sekhmet ("Resurrection"): Actually called Sakhmet, Goddess of war and divine vengeance
                  Nefertem ("?"): Son of either Sakhmet or Hathor; [according to one book i have, he's the "primeval lotus blossom" so in other words part of the creation mythology] Courtesy of E_R
                  Heru'ur/Horus ("Thor's Chariot"): Creator god, brother of Seth and Osiris. [horus is also the Greek name for the god... and he is also the god of sky and kingship] Courtesy of E_R
                  Osiris ("The Curse"): God of the underworld; [Osiris is the greek name for the egyptian god Wosir] Court. of E_R
                  Isis ("The Curse"): Sister of Osiris and Seth, Wife of Osiris; [Isis is the greek name for the egyptian goddess Ese] Court. of E_R
                  Bastet ("Summit"): cat goddess; [also called "bast"...] Court. of E_R
                  Anubis ("Summit"): Funerary deity, the original Lord of the dead (replaced by Osiris); [Anubis is the Greek name for the Egyptian god Anpu] Court. of E_R
                  Sokar ("Serpent's Song"): Originally called Seker, yet another funeral god
                  Apophis ("CotG"): Apophis is a greek name for the egyptian god Apep, the snake god of the underworld, principal enemy of Ra
                  Thoth ("Evolution Part II"): Greek name for the God of wisdom, inventor of writing. Thoth was originally the Egyptian God Djeheuty.
                  Imhotep ("The Warrior"): Great scholar, who designed the Pyramids; [also the god of wisdom and medicine] Court. of E_R
                  Unas ("Thor's Hammer"): Last king of the fifth dynasty; Unas was identified with the gods Ra and Osiris and was sometimes referred to as the Slayer and Eater of Gods.
                  Spoiler (Highlight to read):
                  Atum ("Origin"): The former lord of the new leader of the Free Jaffa Nation; Atum was a primeval sun god in Egyptian mythology, as well as creator of the world - in later tales he was merged with Re (Ra) and referred to as Atum-Re.
                  *Note 'Harseisis' (child of a Goa’uld and a human) is actually a later form of Horus, meaning 'Horus, son of Isis', as opposed to Horus the Elder (Heru'ur)
                  Abydos ("CotG"): An ancient city in Upper Egypt, often considered holy due to its strong connections to the god Osiris

Yoruba Mythology (West Africa)
                  Olokun ("Summit"): God of the sea

Amerindian Mythology
                  Raven ("The Spirits"): I can't find anything on the name the raven went by, Xel's (pronounced Zales), but the Raven spirit is a very common figure in the mythologies of all the peoples on the pacific coast. Generally a very kind and generous protector of humanity, plagued by the trickster Coyote. His companion in the show, T'akaya the wolf, I can't find anything on. Wolf is a pretty common image but I don't know of any specific stories about a wolf spirit.

Mayan Mythology
                  Zipacna ("Pretense"): Demon of the underworld

Aztec Mythology
                  Quetzalcoatl ("Crystal Skull"): God of the wind, the feathered serpent. A strange mix-up in the writing, Quetzalcoatl is primarily an Aztec god, but the show had him speaking Ancient Mayan. Apparently, his cult was widespread, so he would've had Mayan speaking followers as well, I suppose.
                  Crystal Skull ("Crystal Skull"): Several crystal skulls have been found in Aztec and Mayan ruins, but the Aztec are considered most likely to be the artisans b/c they were more skilled at crystal working and their art is much more commonly influenced with skull imagery. Skulls in Mesoamerica generally represent death and the promise of resurrection. Some claim that the crystal skulls actually originated from aliens or atlanteans.

Hindu Mythology
                  Kali ("Summit"): The mother goddess, personification of evil
                  Nirrti ("Singularity"): Goddess of destruction and death

Slavic Mythology
                  Svarog ("The Sentinel"): God of Fire and Sun

Celtic Mythology
                  Camulus ("New Order I/II"): God of War, originally from the mythology of the Gallic tribe the Remi
                  Morrigan ("Summit"): Goddess of Battle, Strife, and fertility

Greek Mythology
                  [ Thanos ("Fallout"): Thanatos, which is Greek, describes death as a personification or philosophical notion. He has sometimes been referred to as the Greek God of death....] Court. of Lida
                  Pelops ("Brief Candle"): Great warrior, grandson of Zeus.
                  Ares ("It's Good to Be King"): God of War
                  Cronus ("Fair Game"): The creator god, Father of Zeus
                  Per'sus, Supreme High Councilor of the Tok'ra ("Divide and Conquer"): The hero Perseus, son of Zeus, Slayer of Medusa. I have no clue whether or not this Tok'ra could've actually come to earth in ancient times to be the basis of the legend, but the name is close enough to merit interest.
                  Tartarus ("Evolution I/II"): The part of the underworld that is the farthest down. Originally a prison for outcast gods, it later became a place where sinners were punished, similar to the Christian hell.
                  Erebus ("Orpheus"): The upper part of the underworld, where the dead must pass shortly after they die. Also the name of the god of darkness, son of chaos.
                  Athos ("Rising I/II") The holy mountain Athos which had been hurled at Zeus by the Gigante Athos in his attempt to storm the heavens. Zeus dropped the mountain down at the coast of Macedonia.
                  Atlantis ("Rising I/II"): A lost civilization with highly advanced people that sank into the ocean long ago.
                  Heliopolis ("The Torment of Tantalus"): Greek name of the Lebanese city Baalbek. The city was named for the sky and sun god Baal-Biq'ah, whom the Greeks identified with their sun god Helios.
                  Prometheus ("Prometheus"): The first earth battleship is named for the Titan Prometheus, who disobeyed the Gods to help humans by giving them fire. As punishment he was chained to a rock where each day a great bird would eat his liver each day, only to have it grow back overnight. The punishment lasted until the hero Heracles freed him.
                  Daedalus ("The Siege Part 2"): The second earth battleship is named for the inventor who constructed the Minotaur's Labyrinth and built the wax wings which he and his son Icarus used to fly through the sky until his son, against Daedalus' word, flew too close to the sun causing the wax wings to melt and himself to fall from the sky.

Roman Mythology
                  [ The Tok'ra Queen Egeria ("Crossroads"): Roman goddess who inspired and guided Numa Pompilius, the successor of Romulus in the kingship of Rome. She is also regarded as his wife. Egeria is one of the Camenae and was also worshipped as a goddess of birth.] Court. of GuardianKentel; Some more sources I found seem to be split over whether she was actually a goddess, or, in fact, was a nymph.
                  Belus ("Fire and water"): Son of Poseidon, Belus, like many Roman Gods, was appropriated from another culture. He was originally the Semitic god Baal. Nothing in the episode to tell whether or not the Goa'ulds Baal and Belus are the same man...

Babylonian Mythology
                  Baal ("Summit"): God of Rain; [Baal in the show is actually considered to be the Canaanite version but baal is one god that started in Canaan mythology and moved into Egypt, Babylon, and most of the mythologies of the ancient near east. in egypt, he's the god of sky and storms, in canaan, he's the god of fertility and, later, rain... and his name also becomes baalzebub (or Beelzebub) or a fallen angel of Satan, sometimes considered to be the devil...] Court. of E_R
                  Marduk ("The Tomb"): Sun God
                  Mot ("Prophecy"): God of sterility and death, archenemy of Baal
                  Ishta ("Birthright"): Ishtar, Goddess of love and Fertility. Being a Jaffa, she couldn't have impersonated Ishtar, but the name is close enough that the character may be modeled after Ishtar (To be Teal'c's love muffin ;p)

Syrian Mythology
                  spoiler (highlight to read):
                  [Qetesh, Vala's Symbiote ("The Powers That Be"): Originally a Syrian goddess who was later worshipped in Egypt as a goddess of love.] Court. of GuardianKentel

Ammonite Mythology
                  Moloch ("Birthright"): Sun or Fire God of the Ammonites, considered a hideous demon connected with child sacrifice in Judeo-christian mythology (Spoken of by John Milton in Paradise Lost)

Christian Mythology
                  Satan: The devil - The Unas in "Demons" claimed to be a demon working for the devil. [Sokar also took on the persona of "the devil", though "the devil" is unclear as to which mythology, as many mythologies and religions have something akin to christian "hell"... though i think even though sokar is an egyptian god, his persona was meant to be impersonating the christian satan...] Court. of E_R

Norse Mythology
                  Freya, the Tok'ra archaeologist ("Upgrades"): Goddess of Love and Fertility. Obviously, the character probably doesn't have any real relation to the goddess, unless the Tok'ra have done some impersonating of their own, but the name I'd bet is based on the goddess.
                  Thor ("Thor's Hammer"): god of thunder
                  Loki ("Fragile Balance"): the trickster, god of Fire
                  Heimdall ("Revelations"): god of light
                  Freyr ("Red Sky"): god of Fertility
                  Aegir ("New Order II"): The god of the sea
                  Mjolnir ("Thor's Hammer"): Thor's war hammer, which had great destructive power and was associated with lightning and made thunderclaps when it struck. The hammer always returned to its master's hand after being thrown. 'Mjolnir' means 'that which smashes' and it's name inspired the word 'thunder'.name inspired the word 'thunder'.
                  Last edited by grendelsbayne; 17 May 2005, 06:00 PM.
                  Sentio Aliquos Togatos Contra Me Conspirare

Comment

Fantastic job of research! You must have worked for hours.....I've studied mythology and comparative religions and you've done quite a good job. I'm impressed and I thank you for the hard work. What did we do before the net????? Oh that's right, books!
                    On fighting:

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                      Fantastic job of research! You must have worked for hours.....I've studied mythology and comparative religions and you've done quite a good job. I'm impressed and I thank you for the hard work. What did we do before the net????? Oh that's right, books!
                      Not like I had anything else to do this evening ;p

And I never woulda done that if I had to do it from books, that would've taken forever

You know anything about these ones I couldn't find anything on?

Amonet
                      Thanos
                      Omaroca
                      Klorel
                      Tanith
                      Bynarr
                      Ja'din
                      Ter'ok

The last six, I think, are probably made up for the show, but I swear I've heard Amonet and Thanos somewhere before...
                      Sentio Aliquos Togatos Contra Me Conspirare

Comment

Originally posted by grendelsbayne

And I never woulda done that if I had to do it from books, that would've taken forever

Amonet
                        Thanos
                        Omaroca
                        Klorel
                        Tanith
                        Bynarr
                        Ja'din
                        Ter'ok

The last six, I think, are probably made up for the show, but I swear I've heard Amonet and Thanos somewhere before...
                        You are correct, they are made up for the show, however, you are also correct about hearing about Thanos and Amonet before, only the spelling is a bit different.

Amonet=Amunet, who was a goddess known as the "hidden one", and consort to Amun, the short lived "one true God of Egypt", as worshipped by the father of Tutenkamen. She is shown as a snake or snake head on which the Lower Egypt crown rests. I'm not certain if that persisted when the Upper and Lower crowns were made into one. I can't find my books. LOL I'll try and find out.

Thanos=Thanatos, which is Greek, describes death as a personification or philosophical notion. He has sometimes been referred to as the Greek God of death....

Hope that helps a bit. It's been a long time since I cracked those books, which could explain WHY I can't find them. I think my mind is going too....so if any of you know more, please add or correct.
                        On fighting:

Comment

first off, GREAT research!!

...just to add a few things

Egyptian Mythology

Nefertem ("?"): God (of what? who knows... ;p), son of either Sakhmet or Hathor
                          according to one book i have, he's the "primevil lotus blossom" so in other words part of the creation mythology

Heru'ur/Horus: Creator god, brother of Seth and Osiris.
                          horus IIRC is also the greek name for the god... i know it doesn't follow egyptian typical pronunciation as much as we know of it... speaking of which, the multiple names given to the gods by egyptologists USUALLY (when it's just a vowel change) is just for lack of knowing any of the vowels in the words...

and anyway, horus is also the god of sky and kingship

Bastet ("Summit/Last Stand"): The cat goddess
                          also called "bast"... and it is odd that she's just KNOWN as the cat goddess instead of being associated with a certain aspect of life as most of the egyptian gods and goddesses are...

Apophis: Apophis is a greek name for the egyptian god Apep, the snake god of the underworld, principal enemy of Ra
                          just to add about the greek names... a few i've found...

osiris = wosir
                          isis = ese
                          apophis - apep
                          anubis - anpu

...and i know there's more...

Imhotep ("The Warrior"): Great scholar, who designed the Pyramids
                          also the god of wisdom and medicine

Greek Mythology
                          Thoth ("Evolution Part II"): God of wisdom, inventor of writing. Thoth was originally the Egyptian God Djeheuty.
                          thoth is another greek name for an egyptian god, too didn't know thoth was incorporated into greek mythology as well, but do know that "thoth" is the ibis-headed god of knowledge, scribes, and the moon... as you said, originally called djehuty

Babylonian Mythology
                          Baal: God of Rain
                          baal in the show is actually considered to be the canaanite version but baal is one god that started in canaan mythology and moved into egypt, babylon, and most of the mythologies of the ancient near east

in egypt, he's the god of sky and storms, in canaan, he's the god of fertility and, later, rain... and his name also becomes baalzebub (or beelzebub) or a fallen angel of satan, sometimes considered to be the devil...

ah, gotta love baal

Christian Mythology
                          The Tok'ra Queen Egeria: Don't know this one for certain, but my search did turn up a Christian 'Blessed Nun Egeria' who apparently had a great hand in the early church and was famous for her many pilgrimages...
                          Satan: The devil - The Unas in "Demons" claimed to be a demon working for the devil.
                          sokar also took on the persona of "the devil", though "the devil" is unclear as to which mythology, as many mythologies and religions have something akin to christian "hell"... though i think even though sokar is an egyptian god, his persona was meant to be impersonating the christian satan...

hmmm.... the main tok'ra queen based on christian mythology... ooh, that would seem kinda fitting, especially if sokar was "satan"

Comment

a few

Amonet
                            amaunet: snake-headed goddess of ancient egypt... another associated with the primevil creation mythology... female counterpart to amun if i recall correctly.... they are the god and goddess of "hidden power"

Thanos
                            Omaroca
                            Klorel
                            Tanith
                            Bynarr
                            Ja'din
                            Ter'ok
                            yeah, i think some of these are made up for the show, especially tanith and klorel, as they are supposed to be NEW goauld and it wouldn't make sense for them to be impersonating ANCIENT earth mythological figures.... but ya never know...

another one:

mot is the canaanite god who, IIRC, killed baal and when baal resurrected, mot was forced to serve under him (mot serves baal in the show and goes behind his back, so this is kinda a fun one that fits not ONLY the names, but the mythological story as well )
                            Last edited by emily_reich; 07 May 2005, 06:10 PM.

Comment

this is back to Greece, but I still think Dionysus would be fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X