Shadows = Pagh Wraiths Evil Supernatural folks
    Sinclair = Sisko Commander who becomes a religious icon to a race
    Shadow War = Dominion War Sector/Galaxy wide war
    Ivanova = Kira Fiesty first officer
    Franklin = Bashir Smart and handsome doctor
    Garibaldi = Odo Haunted and paranoid security officer
    White Star = Defiant Smaller than other warships but packs a big punch
    Narn = Bajorans Spiritual People who suffered an occupation
    Centauri = Cardassians Imperial former occupiers who becomie puppets for a greater evil, and are left in ruins
    Drahk = Founders Insidious enemy

I've even pointed out in so many words that the Andromeda premise would probably have made better "Trek" than anything else in other threads.

But given the parallels between DS9 and BAB5, both of which did well, I'm not sure it couldn't be done.
    Oh my, let's bring up a topic that has been beaten to death! God. Jump off that ship. It's not like they were that close. They were completely different IMO. The reason those two worked is because it was coming from two different creators. Andromeda and ST are both painted in the Gene Roddenburry universe, or one of his many alternate universes. It just wouldn't work. Not with the Writing staff for ST, they would just pack on all the Andromeda ideas, use some ST lingo and bam, ship it out as a movie. It just wouldn't work, IMO.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
      Oh my, let's bring up a topic that has been beaten to death! God. Jump off that ship. It's not like they were that close. They were completely different IMO. The reason those two worked is because it was coming from two different creators.
      Quite right! I'm arguing that despite a lot of surface similarities, both shows were unique. Just goes to show that the shows can be similar in premise but have entirely different execution. I enjoyed Babylon 5, and I enjoyed Deep Spade Nine. Never had a problem with them being too similar, despite all the parallels.

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
      Andromeda and ST are both painted in the Gene Roddenburry universe, or one of his many alternate universes. It just wouldn't work. Not with the Writing staff for ST, they would just pack on all the Andromeda ideas, use some ST lingo and bam, ship it out as a movie. It just wouldn't work, IMO.
      For a movie, you are probably right.... though you could still make it different in execution. The characters would certainly be different!

Moreover, Andromeda strayed a great deal from the original script by Gene Roddenberry. The whole thing was based on a story about Dylan Hunt who had been FROZEN for how ever many years, as played by Alex Cord. Mariette Hartley played a cute but double naveled evil master race. This was set on a post apocalyptic earth, with transportation by superfast subways that moved through laser drilled tubes in the earth's crust. Check it out on IMDB: http://imdb.com/title/tt0070101/ It was really prety bad.

I suspect this would work better for a TV series than a movie, though. I also suspect that a Trek version could be VERY different... especially if you could have it run by Manny Coto as opposed to the evil Bermaga. Too bad Ron Moore was chased out of Trek by Bermaga... his treatment of BSG tells me he could have done an excellent job with such a concept, much as he did with latter years of DS9.
      Last edited by Darth Buddha; 06 May 2005, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
        (Each planet has its own defence force/police, besides Starfleet)
        That's not true, I don't think. Each planet's defence forces are absorbed into Starfleet when it joins the Federation.

We've never seen any Federation troops out of Starfleet uniforms, not even on Earth or Vulcan, which, if that were true, should have the most advanced defenses being the oldest members.

Also, I recall several mentions on DS9 speaking of the logistics that would be involved in Absorbing the Bajoran militia into Starfleet after the membership treaty was signed.

As for the movie, though, it should've followed Garak and the rebuilding of Cardassia, IMO. DS9 itself wouldn't lend well to movies, but DS9 character spinoffs like him would be fantastic.
        Sentio Aliquos Togatos Contra Me Conspirare

Comment

Actually, in TNG "Gambit", they did have a separate Vulcan intelligence.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
            Actually, in TNG "Gambit", they did have a separate Vulcan intelligence.
            That was Vulcan security forces - police - not a military...
            Sentio Aliquos Togatos Contra Me Conspirare

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
              Quite right! I'm arguing that despite a lot of surface similarities, both shows were unique. Just goes to show that the shows can be similar in premise but have entirely different execution. I enjoyed Babylon 5, and I enjoyed Deep Spade Nine. Never had a problem with them being too similar, despite all the parallels.

I think if you look hard enough (and sometimes its glaringly obvious!) that there are parallels with most scifi shows. They all rip-off each others ideas and concepts, heck all the Star Trek shows (Original/TNG/DS9/Voyager/Enterprise) steal each others ideas for episode concepts regulary. I have watched Farscape episodes and recognize a theme or idea for an paticular episode that I had seen on DS9. Every single sci fi genre tv show uses the old time travel idea (whether it's going forward or backward into the future). You see alot of ST in Andromeda, you see alot of SG ideas for episodes that have already been done in one form or another in ST. I think it keeps the shows familiar and stale all at the sametime.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Frankly, I hope to God that they don't do Romulan Wars. I always got bored of those idiots... And i hope its not the bloody Enterprise team as well, they bore the hell out of me. Would it be so bad to see some DS9/Voyager action? Come on, they really do kick ass.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I sure do hope there's a movie in the making. I am a sucker for ANYTHING Star Trek ...even something as bad as Enterprise---watched every stinkin' episode hoping for something funny!!!!!
                  Desperate Thunker

Comment

I really hope that there will be a movie involving the Deep Space Nine cast and premise. There are so many wonderful ideas for Deep Space Nine and the many wonderful books haven't even scratched the surface! Although it would be a great idea as well to work with the books, maybe a movie that spins a new story based on a book.

And of course there we have the aftereffects of the Dominion Wars and the rebuilding of Cardassia, both with an excellent, established universe and great actors. They have so much material to work with, they would just have to start filming. It would be a true waste if they wouldn't make good use of Deep Space Nine.

I'm very worried though that they'll try to milk Enterprise for more money and use that crew for a movie.

The Romulan War would be interesting, though I do have to admit that I feel a bit queasy about anything related to Romulans after the Nemesis fiasco.

But there are so many other plots which could be used, Star Trek is after all such a huge universe and we have seen so little of it. A Star Trek movie in completely different surroundings would also be a good way to test if the fans are willing to accept a different concept, with the next spin-off in mind.

For one thing, there is that Academy-based show that so many people have been talking about. I think it could work for a movie, too.

I don't know if a Klingon ship would work for a movie, since they probably wouldn't be brave enough to deviate from the usual "human crew" and "space ship" routines at the same time when there's so much money at stake.

Then there are other loose ends to be tied up, both those that were a big issue and those only mentioned in passing, like for example that attempt from the genetically engineered people on earth to seize control (I don't remember the episode, but it's in one of these episodes that dealt with Dr Bashir genetic improvements).

Such a post-apocalyptic Star Trek movie could be intriguing and if it's done right, I don't think it would be too similar to Andromeda. It also could be apocalyptic on a smaller scale.
                    Who says that people would even want the Federation back and that there would necessarily be a star ship crew? Maybe the Federation has become the enemy of it's own people and our heroes have to fight the corrupt remains of the Federation.
                    Maybe they are aliens who struggle to survive on a newly xenophobic earth or humans on some planet that has paid the price for the Dominion War by being almost totally dstroyed and the people there want revenge on the Federation. Then we wouldn't need the great new enemy, either, since our heroes would have to first struggle with their own demons.

As something similar, we could be dealing with Section 31 or like-minded people. I think now that the Dominion War is over, the Cardassians are "neutered" for the time being and the Romulans allies, the inner threats of the Federation are the most dangerous ones. Maybe the Section 31 members and their supporters have used the chaos at the end of the Dominion War to gain great power. It would also be a complete change from the star ship routine to see both Federation intelligence special ops members and diplomats, maybe with some Starfleet added into the mix, struggle to return the Federation into the hands on those who honour it's spirit and values.
                    We did see, after all, both in Deep Space Nine and "Insurrection" that the Federation isn't truly the perfect little democratic world that it's made out to be.

There is also that uprising of the newly dis-Collective'd Borg in the Delta Quadrant, see Voyager. For a while, I had hoped that the new Star Trek series would just maybe be dealing with these Borg. It would be something completely different and unrelated to all other shows and movies, so we wouldn't have to deal with continuity problems.

Then we have the Temporal Starfleet officers, also from Voyager. For those people who want to make a great leap into the future, how about we revisit the time ship U.S.S. Relativity from Voyager or one of it's friends? We would have completely new and exciting adventures, new villains, new threats, new allies and maybe the Temporal Cold War from Enterprise could finally be used in a suitable way as well, because I rather liked the premise. If it wouldn't have been stuffed into a show that it was completely disconnected from, it could have made a good plot.

There is also completely different stuff that could be used. We have seen so much Starfleet and visited many worlds, but we still don't know a lot about the life of civilians in Star Trek. That's one of the things why I love Atlantis so much, because it's a civilian expedition with civilian leadership. Sure, there are soldiers in Atlantis, but not everyone is the perfect little soldier and this causes very interesting friction between the scientists/diplomats/administrators on one side and the soldiers on the other. There are so many civilian plots that the writers wouldn't even have to worry that they're going to resemble Atlantis too much, simply because barely anyone has ever made a science-fiction movie that isn't military or star ship crew.
                    If anyone can pull off a science plot with good character development, excitement and intrigue rather than the big battle against the great villain and still make it a big success, then certainly that would be Star Trek. It would also be a nice return to the roots of Star Trek movies, which weren't half as much about battle in their core as the newer ones.
                    O'Neill: You did it, Sam. You won.
                    Carter: Wasn't me.
                    O'Neill: Oh yes it was. You hung in there, you beat it.
                    Carter: The Goa'uld gave its life for me. It saved me.
                    Sharush: Selmak is a wonderful Tok'ra. She is selfless and caring, she is good company, she has a wonderful sense of humor.
                    Carter: Well, that's good, Dad. You can sit around for hours cracking yourself up.

Comment

I agree Jolinar! (great post by the way!)....DS9 was the deepest of all the Star Trek Genre's and probably one of the deepest of all the scifi series (Farscape and Babylon 5 being equally as deep). I still want a glimpse of Starfleet and Star trek in general in the 26th+ century. A very futuristic look like they gave us a glimpse of in Enterprise during the Xindi conflict when Archway was taken into the future to see Xindi actually in Starfleet serving on a 26th century Enterprise.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Working...
                      X