This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Vs. Startrek

Maybe it's just me, but when someone out there confuses Stargate with Star Trek I get pissed off. They are nothing alike exept that the Prometheus and the Enterprise thing thats starting up.........Kinda fishy.........Well anyways for what I have to say it's that I'ved never really enjoyded the few few times I sadly watched Star Trek when there was nothing else on TV, so i could be wrong. DO NOT CONFUSE STARGATE WITH STAR TREK.......EWWW YOU TREKIES
    In the end.............I much rather have action in SG-1 that to sleep though Trek..

sorry Trekies
    http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/7...itebeam6aw.gif

doesn't bother me that much. i'm used to people confusing anything that starts with "star" with anything else that starts with "star".

but while were here, who'd win in a fight between kirk and o'neill? i'm going with o'neill, mainly because his shirt doesn't get torn in the first 2 seconds of a fight, which means he's tougher, but perhaps not neccessarily cooler. *raises eyebrow*

Comment

Originally posted by anubis3355
      Maybe it's just me, but when someone out there confuses Stargate with Star Trek I get pissed off. They are nothing alike exept that the Prometheus and the Enterprise thing thats starting up.........Kinda fishy.........Well anyways for what I have to say it's that I'ved never really enjoyded the few few times I sadly watched Star Trek when there was nothing else on TV, so i could be wrong. DO NOT CONFUSE STARGATE WITH STAR TREK.......EWWW YOU TREKIES
      In the end.............I much rather have action in SG-1 that to sleep though Trek..

sorry Trekies
      I agree totally. I live in a fraternity house, and on Monday nights when I have the bigscreen playin StarGate SG-1 for a few hours straight, there's people walkin in all the time, "Is this Star Trek?". It doesn't really bother me, I've seen every episode of every StarTrek series, and I can honestly say that StarGate SG-1 is ten times better in every way.
      What is more frustrating is the people that won't watch a TV simply because it is on the SciFi channel.
      -GuyFromOH
      I'm a guy, from Ohio.
      ------------------------------------
      Teal'c: "Chelnak!"
      Daniel: "Direct translation: Very
      cool!"

Comment

as i've already said, the confusion itself doesn't bug me.
        what bugs me is people who act like they've never seen star trek, slag you for watching star trek (and by star trek i do mean anything with that starts with "star") and then go and make bad (supposedly insulting) jokes about klingons or tribbles or something invloving character names or whatever. i'm sorry but if you don't know anything about it you, a) should not be insulting those who do for the sole reason that they watch it and, b) should not know so much about the freaking show!

how do these people know so much about the show if they hate it and never watch it?!

and yes although i have been known to partake in watching the occational (ahem!)episode of star trek, i do think that stargate is way better. i also prefer star wars to star trek, but not to stargate for the record. and yes i am the ultimate in geekiness. and i'm damn proud of it too.

Comment

We have this "Stargate V Star Trek" debate all the time,between me, my family, and Trekker friends!

I always vote Stargate.

You didn't specify which "Trek", btw,so I assume you mean ALL the different ST Franchises?

I have to admit I enjoy ALL the different Series of Star Trek,but Stargate wins overall ...........
          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie

how do these people know so much about the show if they hate it and never watch it?!

Is there anybody out there who doesn't know at least something about Star Trek or who hasn't caught an episode before, even if they decided they didn't care for it? If they have a friend or family member who watches it they're likely to hear about some aspect of it (I've explained red shirts to a few people myself). Over the last 30+ years it's invaded popular culture, it's hard not to know something ST.

I also had a friend who didn't know what Stargate was until I explained it & then he realized he'd seen a few episodes. Other people seem to presume anything sci-fi is Star Trek related and that anyone who watches science fiction watches Star Trek - which yes I do.

Comment

yeah sure people will generally understand the whole red shirt thing and the klingon thing and the captains log thing, those have pretty much been integrated into pop culture by now, i mean things like tribbles or gorns or something like that.

one thing that really bugs me though is people who argue that its dr. spock and not mr. spock (on star trek). the very same people who can't tell the difference between star trek, star wars, and stargate and sometimes even the very same people who insult people for liking either of those franchises.

Originally posted by joshing123
              Other people seem to presume anything sci-fi is Star Trek related and that anyone who watches science fiction watches Star Trek - which yes I do.
              i actually know people who are not usually into sci fi at all and they watch star trek sometimes and some people who don't really like sci fi, and yet they sometimes watch stargate (but not star trek). i think star trek has become so pop culture that it has to a certain extent exceeded the realm of sci fi (mainly ST:TOS), and i think that SG-1 is sometimes so vague in its sci fi, that one does not need to be a sci fi kind of person to really enjoy it. thats one of the things i like so much about stargate, its potential to gather such a wide audience. it is not a typical sci fi show, its something of a combination of genres in a way. star trek doesn't really have that. star trek, a lot of the time, is just a soap opera with VFX and weird costumes and set designs.

Comment

I actually pity those who can't tell the difference. It show an alarming amount of ignorance on their parts and belittling SG fans is their only way coping with their own inequities (Frat Dude, I feel your pain)

Yet comparing Trek (any iteration) to 'Gate is like comparing Red Delicious to Granny Smith. I enjoy them both but for different reasons. I guess that I would pick Trek over 'Gate because of the broader canvas that 'Trek had (more main characters, more villans, more "complex storylines").

Of course Doctor Who (third doc) blows them both out of the water.
                Major Kawalsky
                I've clawed my way from Mature to Fodder! WOOHOO!
                U.S. Stargate Command

Comment

Originally posted by MAJKawalsky
                  I actually pity those who can't tell the difference. It show an alarming amount of ignorance on their parts and belittling SG fans is their only way coping with their own inequities (Frat Dude, I feel your pain)

Yet comparing Trek (any iteration) to 'Gate is like comparing Red Delicious to Granny Smith. I enjoy them both but for different reasons. I guess that I would pick Trek over 'Gate because of the broader canvas that 'Trek had (more main characters, more villans, more "complex storylines").

Of course Doctor Who (third doc) blows them both out of the water.
                  hey you are mature. huh.

Comment

There's a lot of prejudice for whatever reason. Pretty silly.

I'd heard on and off of Stargate but never got into it recently, and it's now my OotM (Obsession of the Month), and hopefully longer than that. Two good friends got me sucked into the show, and despite my initial reticience, I find myself getting more and more interested. The show is great because it's so full of dynamics -- there are serious episodes, a lot of comedy... hey, what other show has so much of a disrespectful attitude when it comes to alien invaders, and I'm not talking about only actions but words? *blows stuff up*

Star Trek: Enterprise is getting better lately IMO, but I'm not as interested in it as I am in Stargate SG-1. SG-1 has great standalone episodes and a long-term arc, and despite various contradictions in continuity over the years, manages to hold itself together pretty well!!
                    Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                    more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

When I was a kid,I was a huge "Star Trek" fan{after it had gone into syndication}.I watched some of the other incarnations of the franchise,but never really got a chance to get into them.
                      I do believe I'm a bigger fan of "Stargate SG-1" than I ever was of "Star Trek",but there'll always be a soft spot in my heart for Tribbles,Mr.Spock & the sight of crew members being flung about the bridge after an attack because,despite being technologically advanced,they forgot to put in seatbelts .
                      Last edited by nugglebugget; 05 June 2004, 08:13 AM. Reason: Typo
                      nugglebugget

greetings from the "Bluegrass State"where the grass is actually green,just like everywhere else

Comment

Originally posted by anubis3355

sorry Trekies
                        As a Trekker and a Gater, I believe this thread to be rather pointless as one truely does compliment the other. It has been stated many times that if it were not for Gene Roddenberry's vision, not much would take place in the way of serious Science Fiction. And further more, for those out there that despise Star Trek fans, get over it...for we are every where. So to use a Vulcan blessing: Live long and prosper.
                        THERE ARE THINGS KNOWN...
                        AND THINGS UNKNOWN...
                        AND IN BETWEEN...LIES THE STARGATE

Comment

One of my biggest complaints about Star Trek is that for some reason after Star Trek came out everyone who has a slight intrest in Sci-Fi is automattically considered a dork, nerd, geek...and so on and so on. I myself don't really like the spacey sci-fi because most the of the spacey sci-fi I've seen are pretty dumb. I only ever really liked Star Wars and Stargate the movie and the series. I have seen a few of the original Star Trek episodes as well as a few movies and I didn't care for them.

Comment

Well I have to say Stargate is my favorite show.
                            But, I must confess that I really love Startrek Voyager. And I guess I love it because it has some similarity to Stargate. In my opinion, and that's why I like ST Voyager, it focuses greatly the relations between the crew. And that feels good and is where I find Startrek Voyager similar to Stargate.
                            :: How Would You Feel About Life If Death Was Your Older Sister? ::

Comment

in answer to the original post....YOU'R NOT A TREKKIE IF YOU CONFUSING THE TWO...it's just ppl that dont know anything confuse everything...i like star trek and stargate...but i never confuse them

Comment

Working...
                              X