Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

Quote Originally Posted by QuiGonJohn
    Early on in this episode, like just after we see Daniel's facing his parents die, I thought the intention of the Gamekeeper was to show Jack & Daniel, to resolve completely in their minds, that there was no way they could have done anything different to change the outcomes of their situations. Like a sort of letting go of their pain, type thing. Of course, it went on to a different tack.
    I know what you mean, though, speaking for myself, I never saw anything particularly altruistic in the Gamekeeper's actions. Once he finally showed himself, his only real concern was that Daniel and Jack get back into it and have another go at changing their pasts - as though it was one of those 'choose your own adventure' stories and they merely needed to select a different option. "Get a move on! Chop, chop!"

Even his determination to 'protect' the people of his world was less than charitable. He wasn't interested in keeping them safe - more interested in keeping them from ruining his nice, pretty, regenerated planet!

Great performance from Dwight, of course (I remember Murdock, too!). His Gatekeeper comes across as comical, irritating and sinister, all in one go.

Lieutenant Colonel

Post Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

This is one of the very few episodes of SG-1 that do not improve with viewing. I didn't like it the first time, or the second, or the third. I think Dwight
    was fabulous, as usual, but on the whole, the show was weak. I don't think we learned all that much about Jack's past, except that he had unresovled issues, as do we all. It was good finally learning how Daniel became orphaned, but the story wasn't about that. It was about selfishness, the selfishness of the Keeper. I think he was so self absorbed, he truly didn't realize the pain he was causing Jack and Daniel, he just wanted "new" material for his residents.

It was definitely a stand alone episode and one that I think would have been best left out, but that's just my opinion.
    On fighting:
    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka's_Mum
    I know what you mean, though, speaking for myself, I never saw anything particularly altruistic in the Gamekeeper's actions. Once he finally showed himself, his only real concern was that Daniel and Jack get back into it and have another go at changing their pasts.
    Well when he was pushy like this, at least in the earlier parts, I thought he was just pushing them to keep trying different ways, to show that there was no way they could have changed the outcome. Kinda like in Wargames, when Joshua plays tic-tac-toe over and over, real fast. Of course, after a while it was obvious this was not what he was trying to do. But to a point, it looked like that might have been where they were heading with this episode.

Chief Master Sergeant OrangeShipper's Avatar

Wah, the Gamekeeper's Barclay? Wow!!! I never noticed!! Anyway...
    Does the Keeper remind anyone else of Harlan from Tin Man (S1)? I think he's very similar - particularly when he said something about them "being able to do things - different!" . Reminded me very much of Harlans "better"!
    On the whole, I liked this ep. I watched it recently, but before that I only saw it once when it first was shown on TV, yet it stuck with me. You know when there's just the odd one, and you don't know why but you can remember it almost perfectly even though you've only seen it once years ago? Well, I did with this one. I liked the plotline, I love character centered eps and thought it was a good idea.
    Also, the scene with Jack looking behind Hammond's ears, well that was hilarious! As was Hamond (aka Keeper) running away from them! The end scene was good too, typical SG-1.
    I don't really know why I liked it - it just strikes a chord. I like whumpage, so that could be it. I just like situations like that, I found it really interesting.
    Just my thoughts, anyway!
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l5...ngeShipper.jpg Sig by SamJackShipLover, thank you!!

"The Titanic lies in 13,000 feet of water on a gently sloping alpinelike countryside overlooking a small canyon below. Its bow faces north and the ship sits upright on the bottom. There is no light at this great depth and little life can be found. It is a quiet and peaceful and fitting place for the remains of this greatest of sea tradgedies to rest. May it forever remain that way and may God bless these found souls." - Robert D. Ballard, 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeShipper
    Wah, the Gamekeeper's Barclay? Wow!!! I never noticed!!
    Just to add to the bizarreness, UK Gold are repeating the A-Team at the moment, so we're revisiting Howlin' Mad Murdock too!

First Lieutenant Heru'urs_first_prime's Avatar

who was that actor (the keeper) ive seen him somewhere before..... (this has probebly already been asked, sorry if so)
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...213/heruur.jpg
    Heru'ur is a God, he will rise and take revenge

Right next to the Stargate, the one I made.

Earth Symbol Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

Quote Originally Posted by Heru'urs_first_prime
    who was that actor (the keeper) ive seen him somewhere before..... (this has probebly already been asked, sorry if so)
    Barcley from Star Trek TNG, and that guy from the A-team. For further details, read on up the page.
    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

http://i2.tinypic.com/20gmk8w.jpg
    Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

oh yeah! wow! i totally dind't realise that he's that crazy guy form the A-team!

thanks Daniel's twin!

And how!

It was always so weird for me to see him playing Reg Barclay after seeing him as Murdock. They are absolute opposites.

I love the sheer prissiness he brings to his character as the Gamekeeper, though. You can almost see him dusting things and then wiping his hands with a tissue.

lol!

First Lieutenant KorbenDirewolf's Avatar

Yeah.. To tell the truth I'd never seen any TNG until after seeing this season of Stargate but I did recognize him from A-team.
    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

http://home.graffiti.net/kdiw/indiv.jpg

He must be a brillinat actor: to play all those different roles, they all have their different personalities!

Given that Murdock had the equivalent of a different personality in virtually every single episode of the A-Team, I'd second that assessment!

I third it

(^^)

good
    For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

The first time this episode was shown I only caught it half way through and hadn't a clue what was going on in it! Anyway, I quite liked this ep. The scene with Daniel's parents was sad But it had some good funny moments in there aswell.

BORING, really it was, if anyone liked this episode they need to see someone to get help

Second Lieutenant

I thought it was interesting..........I loved how Daniel tried like twice to save his parents, but gave up....you could see the angst in his facial expressions

Only 2 stars from you guys? Come on!

Great episode. I'm a big sucker for virtual reality nonsense, so this was right up my alley. The only thing annoying about it is how they give up so easily. Maybe they feel abused, but I would really like it. Once you realize that it is just a game, there shouldn't be any pain in seeing it over and over again. I would be driven to make things right. Maybe it's just the gamer in me, but I really don't think I would even be able to leave until I "won." But still, very cool stuff.

When the towers were hit in NY, it was very disturbing to me to see them collapse again and again on the TV. I can undersand where they are coming from.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3967&dateline=1196580684
Your Current Signature Picture

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!