Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 165
  1. #21
    Wade Welles sueKay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In the multifandom region of subspace...shiny!
    Posts
    10,067

    Default Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    Good ep, but nothing special

    I've met the Gamekeeper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ehm

    ..

    ...

    ..

    Alright. I met Dwight Schultz ie. Barlcay and Mad Dog Murdoc!!!

    4 out of 9 chevrons.

    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

  2. #22
    First Lieutenant Liv's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    753

    Default Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    I really like this episode, I think it's a good mixture of comedy and drama. Dwight Schultz is great fun (loved him on the A-Team show *nostalgia*) and I think he fits in nicely with the episode. He's supposed to be a bit dense and not quite understand what it is he actually puts them through.

    Some good (and highly emotional) insights into Jack and Daniel's past.

    And of course Teal'c - with hair! Somehow, that feels familiar...

    Also good to see Kawalsky again, even if he isn't real, this time around.

    And I love the scene in the debriefing room where Jack catches on to the fact that they're still inside the game and starts to look for the edges of a mask on Hammond!

    Jack: "You're obviously not the real General Hammond."
    Hammond/Gamekeeper: "Sit down, Colonel."
    Jack: "I don't think so, bucko. The jig's up, we're on to ya."

    Loved this too:

    Daniel: "Where are we going?"
    Jack: "Back through the 'gate to show them what their planet looks like... in our memories... before the virtual reality... leave me alone."

    And yes, that last bit was funny too:

    Gamekeeper: "Do NOT pull that!" You are ruining the garden!"

  3. #23
    Second Lieutenant Lugal's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    312

    Default Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    Quote Originally Posted by Liv
    I really like this episode, I think it's a good mixture of comedy and drama. Dwight Schultz is great fun (loved him on the A-Team show *nostalgia*)
    You've just dated yourself there (and yes I remember "Howlin' Mad" Murdock, too)


    Daniel: "Where are we going?"
    Jack: "Back through the 'gate to show them what their planet looks like... in our memories... before the virtual reality... leave me alone."
    One of my favorite lines.

  4. #24
    Captain Daniel's_twin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Right next to the Stargate, the one I made.
    Posts
    1,656

    Earth Symbol Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    Daniel didn't listen, did he?
    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

    http://i2.tinypic.com/20gmk8w.jpg
    Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

  5. #25
    Major Lord Zedd's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,956

    Default Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    Did you know that the gamekeeper is Dwight Shultz?? He played the crazy Murdoc on the old serie the A-team
    Lord Zedd

  6. #26
    Major General greytop's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back at my moonbase
    Posts
    12,940

    Default Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    Quote Originally Posted by -Major Woody
    Wish we could have also seen something from Carter's or Teal'c's past.
    I believe that it has something to do with Junior and Carter having that certain protein marker in her blood. So, the Gamekeeper had them share memories of the others.

  7. #27
    Colonel Elite Anubis Guard's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,470

    Default Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    interesting episode and some nice development into jack and danny!

    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

  8. #28
    Second Lieutenant zats's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Good question...think it's Kansas...let me check...
    Posts
    489

    Default Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    To be completely honest (which I am rarely reported to be, but that's neither here nor there), I really don't like this ep. But me being me, I'll get into the good stuff first...

    a. Good emotions. MS plays distraught/going smack out of his mind really well, so any ep where he's two steps short of going totally over the edge is always delicious. And of course RDA is magnificent, but that's standard.

    b. Premis. Very Matrix (although I'm still waiting for them to get a "dodge this" into an ep somehow). Although I didn't like the episode overall, I think that more could have been explored with it.

    c. The Gamekeeper himself. Look, I'm mixed on this one. On the one hand, he's delightfully hateable (one I love to hate, etc.). On the other...he reminds me a lot of my da, especially when it comes to fiercely defending the garden. For some reason, said parental unit didn't find this particularly amusing when I shared this observation with him. Anyway, I spend most of this episode split between laughing and wanting to bean him with a two-by-four. But c'est la vie. (no spellchecking allowed).

    d. Hammond. It's always fun to see He with the Crown of Marble going a little bonkers.

    What wasn't so good:

    a. This is fairly minor, but it still bugs me: the point of origin for the garden planet. It looks very industrialized, which doesn't really mesh with the other stargate glyphs. They look more lyrical. This PoO looked like the logo of an insurance company or something.

    b. I do wish that we could have seen Sam and Teal'c's 'one thing they could live over's. The naquada/symbiote is a plausible enough justification for why the Gamekeeper couldn't access their minds, but it still struck me as a bit of a cop-out. One of these days I'll sate my dissatisfaction and write an AU fic where we see Teal'c and Sam's memories.

    c. Daniel. I'll likely get ripped to bits for saying this, but Daniel's not one of my favorite characters. He's always seemed too predictable; he's too good. Same for Teal'c--he's very static. I like Jack and Sam because they're harder, inconsistent (which usually indicates layers) and always seem like they'd have more demons. Which is why I like Sam/Jack (preferably both)-centered eps. Seeing Daniel burst into tears over...and over...and over again got old very fast.

    Overall, it's been a while since I've seen this one. Forgive me for being too specific on some points and not thorough enough on others: little incidentals have an odd way of sticking in my mind, whereas the big stuff flits in and out as it pleases.

    Agree? Disagree? Please no rotting vegetation w/out providing protective clothing for intended recipient.

  9. #29
    Colonel Elite Anubis Guard's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,470

    Default Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    is it me or was the gamekepper barcely/sherlock holmes and was dannys dad seth?

    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

  10. #30
    Staff Sergeant JackDaniels's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Newcastle, UK
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Anubis Guard
    is it me or was the gamekepper barcely/sherlock holmes and was dannys dad seth?
    The Gamekeeper was Dwight Schultz, who played Barclay in TNG (and Voyager) but Daniel's dad was not Seth.

    Anyway, watched this episode again today as it was shown on UK tv Sky One. This is not one of those episodes that I think about very often or go to my DVD collection to hunt out if it comes into my mind. Like a lot of the other posters it was slightly annoying that there was no Carter or Teal'c, and although issues with their blood and 'junior' were brought up, after watching S8 'Avatar' (spoilers below)

    I find it curious that they had a record of Teal'c mind and his thoughts and feelings from his time in the chair from this time and yet they were not able to access his mind. Are the two not connected, i'm sure there would have been many things he would have wished to have chnaged and if they knew that in hsi mind at this point he did not believe the goa'uld could ever be defeated, them would some scenarios highlighting this have been particularly good?

    Just a little rant. Apologies to those who have not seen Avatar, but when someone has maybe they can give me an answer. Watching old episodes often brings up new questions!

  11. #31
    Major General jckfan55's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Carter's Lab
    Posts
    10,279

    Default Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    How many takes do you think it took for them to get those thingies attached to their heads without cracking up?

  12. #32
    First Lieutenant SmartFox's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    805

    Default Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    Quote Originally Posted by JackDaniels
    The Gamekeeper was Dwight Schultz, who played Barclay in TNG (and Voyager) but Daniel's dad was not Seth.

    Anyway, watched this episode again today as it was shown on UK tv Sky One. This is not one of those episodes that I think about very often or go to my DVD collection to hunt out if it comes into my mind. Like a lot of the other posters it was slightly annoying that there was no Carter or Teal'c, and although issues with their blood and 'junior' were brought up, after watching S8 'Avatar' (spoilers below)

    I find it curious that they had a record of Teal'c mind and his thoughts and feelings from his time in the chair from this time and yet they were not able to access his mind. Are the two not connected, i'm sure there would have been many things he would have wished to have chnaged and if they knew that in hsi mind at this point he did not believe the goa'uld could ever be defeated, them would some scenarios highlighting this have been particularly good?

    Just a little rant. Apologies to those who have not seen Avatar, but when someone has maybe they can give me an answer. Watching old episodes often brings up new questions!

    Spoilers S8 Avatar
    Spoiler:
    In Avatar it wasnt is memories but his brain make up.


    I thougth Dwight Schultz was funny in this ep. Loved how he reacted in the Garden and how he talked to Daniel about it being a great experience to relive those memories.

  13. #33
    Colonel ShimmeringStar's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    relaxing on a certain dock near a certain cabin...
    Posts
    5,183

    Default Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    Quote Originally Posted by zats

    <snip snip snip>
    c. The Gamekeeper himself. Look, I'm mixed on this one. On the one hand, he's delightfully hateable (one I love to hate, etc.). On the other...he reminds me a lot of my da, especially when it comes to fiercely defending the garden. For some reason, said parental unit didn't find this particularly amusing when I shared this observation with him. Anyway, I spend most of this episode split between laughing and wanting to bean him with a two-by-four. But c'est la vie. (no spellchecking allowed).
    <more snip snip snip>
    Agree? Disagree? Please no rotting vegetation w/out providing protective clothing for intended recipient.
    All out of rotten vegetation. Maybe some dessicated foliage?

    The Gamekeeper – behind that delightfully hateable (thanks zats) irritating façade was a control freak. IMO for him it wasn't just about protecting the garden/planet for his own enjoyment, but more so about controlling the lives/minds of the people who’d initially entrusted him with their long-term mental & physical well-being. And his thirst for control extended to those who just happened to wander into the building (like SG1). And he enjoyed watching pain; he had disconnected himself emotionally to the point where it didn't matter to him that these were living beings with the ability to experience pain and anguish and that by making them relive terrible events in their lives repeatedly was basically to commit torture on the mind/souls of anyone captured in the machine.

    I enjoyed the scene with Jack questioning Hammond’s reality too. The first time you watch it and assume they are out of VR - it is a hoot. (And not too bad on rewatching! )
    Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
    My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

  14. #34
    Second Lieutenant zats's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Good question...think it's Kansas...let me check...
    Posts
    489

    Zat Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringStar
    All out of rotten vegetation. Maybe some dessicated foliage?

    The Gamekeeper – behind that delightfully hateable (thanks zats) irritating façade was a control freak. IMO for him it wasn't just about protecting the garden/planet for his own enjoyment, but more so about controlling the lives/minds of the people who’d initially entrusted him with their long-term mental & physical well-being. And his thirst for control extended to those who just happened to wander into the building (like SG1). And he enjoyed watching pain; he had disconnected himself emotionally to the point where it didn't matter to him that these were living beings with the ability to experience pain and anguish and that by making them relive terrible events in their lives repeatedly was basically to commit torture on the mind/souls of anyone captured in the machine.

    I enjoyed the scene with Jack questioning Hammond’s reality too. The first time you watch it and assume they are out of VR - it is a hoot. (And not too bad on rewatching! )
    Overall, I prefer mushy tomatoes or Brussle sprouts...but yeah, anything'll do.

    The scene with Jack and Hammond: it was a bit like those dreams where you keep think you've woken up...and haven't. Hey, for all we know, SG-1's still in those crazy chairs and everything's a virtual reality, Matrix-style.

  15. #35
    Staff Sergeant hermajesty's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    I love this episode because we get to see moments from jack and daniel's pasts that defined their lives. The scene with daniel's parents was definately a tear-jerker. I love the range of emotions played out in that scene, from despair, to anger, and then even to sympathy for the gamekeeper. "I mean, imagine if you were locked in a room for a thousand years with only a VCR, a TV and five movies. How long could you watch those five movies until you were bored silly? What you wouldn't give for just four more." That's one reason why i love daniel so much - he can still feel empathy for someone who just put him through hell.

    I also love the scene with the fake general hammond: its a classic.

    I found a beautiful epilogue fanfic from o'neill's point of view called sometimes i can forget. It's short but really well written - one of my favourite fanfics of all time.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32...-water-sig.jpg

    McKay: In military parlance surprise... is an element on our side.

  16. #36
    Second Lieutenant PugGate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    406

    Zat Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    I thought that the episode was pretty comical. Except for when the evil evil (did I mention evil?) gamekeeper made Jack and Daniel relive those memories.
    Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

    Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

    What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

  17. #37
    First Lieutenant fair_nymph's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston, USA
    Posts
    719

    Default Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    I love how Jack is always the first to notice that something is 'wrong' or 'off' about situations like these. Even though he's not a genius rocket scientist like Sam, he's very clever, astute, and observant. And not nearly as thick as he often appears.

    Although I did find the implications of the virtual reality life interesting, overall I didn't love the episode. I really disliked the Gamekeeper (obviously that's the point), and kept wanting to sock him in the eye. He just irritated the **** out of me!

    In general, I don't like it when eps deviate from the main storyline so much, without some serious main character development to make up for it. It just always seems like 'filler' to me and makes me anxious to get back to the really good stuff.

  18. #38
    Second Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Greystone, NY
    Posts
    445

    Default Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    Quote Originally Posted by fair_nymph
    In general, I don't like it when eps deviate from the main storyline so much, without some serious main character development to make up for it. It just always seems like 'filler' to me and makes me anxious to get back to the really good stuff.
    I thought that the insights into Jack and Daniel's past were fairly interesting and filled out their life stories a bit more. There were even some bits about O'Neill's son which, at that point in the series, was still somewhat unresolved at least in terms of Skaara's fate.

  19. #39
    Staff Sergeant hermajesty's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    Quote Originally Posted by fair_nymph
    I love how Jack is always the first to notice that something is 'wrong' or 'off' about situations like these. Even though he's not a genius rocket scientist like Sam, he's very clever, astute, and observant. And not nearly as thick as he often appears.
    Good point, i noticed that too. The same happens in the season 2 finale which i just watched. Jack has good instinct and he's also not very trusting - sometimes an advantage but also sometimes a problem when people are actually trying to help (eg. the tokra). Jack is definately cleverer than he makes out.

    In general, I don't like it when eps deviate from the main storyline so much, without some serious main character development to make up for it. It just always seems like 'filler' to me and makes me anxious to get back to the really good stuff.
    I didn't find that at all. I liked this episode, because although it doesn't contribute to the season 2 plotline, it's brilliant for character development. In season 2 we knew very little about Daniel's past except that he was an orphan, because he never talks about his childhood. The episode was an interesting way to show both jack's and daniel's pasts. The details we got here lead to some great fanfic too.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32...-water-sig.jpg

    McKay: In military parlance surprise... is an element on our side.

  20. #40
    Second Lieutenant QuiGonJohn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    277

    Default Re: The Gamekeeper (204)

    Early on in this episode, like just after we see Daniel's facing his parents die, I thought the intention of the Gamekeeper was to show Jack & Daniel, to resolve completely in their minds, that there was no way they could have done anything different to change the outcomes of their situations. Like a sort of letting go of their pain, type thing. Of course, it went on to a different tack.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •