This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major Appreciation Thread

So, this thread is being born out of a late night conversation/thread story line (aren't those the best?). This is a place where those of us who are multi-thunkers and appreciaters of all those (of both genders) who over the years have borne the title of Major in the Stargate franchise can celebrate our favorite rank.

So, who's your favorite major & why?

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
    still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Major Davis

He's a hunk *drools*

I'm sure Davis thunkers would agree
    Last edited by SilverRider; 02 May 2005, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Kawalsky was pretty cool...not exactly thunkable, IMO, but a man with great potential. I'm glad we got to see him again briefly in Point of View, and his friendship with Jack was great in Enemy Within.

Comment

Originally posted by yasureubetcha
        Kawalsky was pretty cool...not exactly thunkable, IMO, but a man with great potential. I'm glad we got to see him again briefly in Point of View, and his friendship with Jack was great in Enemy Within.

He was good in the first ep, sinckering at Carter/O'Neill banter

Comment

Major Carter

No-one even comes close IMO

Comment

MMM... Majors!

Okies then. Kawalski was neat guy, and it's really to bad we don't get to see him more in the series. He was quite the commedian in the movie, and it would have been nice to see that carry over. Too bad...

Major Davis! *Drools* Do I have to say more?

Ok, I will. His char often appears in my fave epis! I liked seeing him, what was the one with the clones? Oh yea. Foothold. That was a GREAT Davis epi, IMO.

Major Carter ~ Awesome chick! Wonderful to see a female obtain such a high rank! AT plays Carter quite well, and her relationships with the team shes on are great. Yes, relationshipS, plural, ie, friendships as well. I like that whole team dynamic. Probably one of my fave chars on the show.

Major Sheppard! OMG! He is an amazingly well-rounded char, especially for a show in its first season. I love his and McKays banter, adds a LOT of lightness to a storie that could otherwise be heavy-laden with the 'We're going to die' line. Defintitly my fave on Atlantis.

And I think thats all the MAJOR people I thunk... mmm. So, there's my opinion!

Oh yea! HI HAH!!!

Comment

OMG! i totally agree kip!! with all of it!!

and ya know what, it's sooooo hard to choose a favorite major!! it's weird how many of my favorite military characters have all been majors

i'd have to say davis, shep, and carter are all at the top

Comment

Major Kawalsky. I thought he was a great guy and provided some good comic relief in the early eps. I was really disappointed when they didn't carry the character on as a regular. It would have been really good if they had of done.
                The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
                The viewpoint of one person is not the viewpoint of all - ShadowMaat
                Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori - Horace
                All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
                Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
                An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi
                Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon

Comment

yeah, it was pretty disappointing that they killed off a character with such potential to be a great recurring ally RIGHT in the second ep...

Comment

Okay, I guess since I started this, I should weigh in on it...

1. Maj. Sheppard
                    2. Maj. Carter
                    3. Maj. Davis
                    4. Maj. Kawalsky

Shep edges Sam out just by a nose for me, because (aside from the *GUH* factor) I really admire the way that he stepped up to the plate and became the military leader of the Atlantis expedition. He admits his fallibility, but is unapologetic about his goals & takes full responsibility for his actions.

Sam, on the other hand, seemed a bit intimidated in her first couple of command missions (although, at the moment, I can't remember whether or not the occasion I'm thinking of was when she was a Major or not...) Overall, I think as a major she proved herself as a brilliant and confident scientist and soldier who didn't need to pull a gender card to be a valuable member of her team.

Maj. Davis...we don't get a whole lot into his character, but we do know that he is loyal and intelligent and dedicated to the SGC (and yes, SR, he *is* thunkworthy ). In their world, the members of the SGC generally have a difficult time trusting someone who isn't one of their own, but they have a true ally in Maj. Davis

Maj. Kawalsky would probably be higher on my list if he had been around longer (or maybe not, since it's a pretty short list..). I, too, enjoyed the banter he shared with the members of SG-1. For the most part, I really liked him, although, occasionally, he showed an arrogance that put me off a bit.

Comment

So, next question, I guess is, what's your favorite scene of your favorite Major, or what scene do you think defines who they are & what they do?

Comment

ooh!! well i can't possibly pick a FAVORITE scene for most of 'em too many to choose from!!

but a few that i think define a few of 'em...

i love the turn-around that major davis makes from "into the fire" to "nemesis"... in into the fire, he's just kinda going along with his superiors on a anti-rescue stance... but i think he really took to heart how much hammond cared about the team and he got to experience first-hand what kinds of strange things go on in foothold... and then by nemesis, HE'S the one defending them!! and he really shows genuine concern for the team stuck on thor's ship so i think nemesis (can't remember exact scenes at the moment) and small victories

also prometheus i think was a GREAT major davis episode... we get to see him really doing his JOB and once he realizes that everything's gone terribly wrong, he does everything he can to try and save both the ship and sam and jonas inside... then of course there's descent... well, i could go on for hours...

as for sheppard, i'd have to say LFP was a great defining episode for him... we get to see (at least to the greatest degree in the season) what he's about... in the stressful situation he lets slip some of his frustration and inner turmoil, even if it's just a little, and when he says "oh, we could do a lot. it'd just be the last thing we ever do." you really get the sense that he WANTS to help and he thinks it's the right thing to do, but if they got themselves killed going out on a suicide rescue mission it wouldn't do ANYONE any good... so he's compassionate and really cares and definately shows a lot of guilt, but at the same time he's practical and does the most that can be done with the most benefit for the cost that's really what he's all about i think, and LFP just REALLY defines that...

we get the same sense when he leaves the chair for the jumper in siege 2... he knows someone has to do SOMETHING, and that he's the one to do it, so he goes and does it, not caring if he dies in the process since it would be worth it if it saved the city... but at the same time, he only does this as a last resort, though when he suggested the original plan i get the feeling he knew it was possible he would have to fly the jumper anyway... but that's a whole other thread

as for sam... oh boy... SO many eps!!! lol... just to list off a couple great sam eps: singularity, nightwalkers, jolinar's memories/devil you know, reckoning 2 ()... umm... there's lots more... so many....

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                          Major Carter

No-one even comes close IMO
                          Agreed!...Major Carter stole my heart and saved the planet numerous times and kicks major azz
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

You forgot to add Major Pierce and Reynolds to the list.

Comment

Maj Sheppard... of course...

He's smart, witty, overprotective and all too human...
                              sigpic
                              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Working...
                              X