This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dark side of Jack O'Neill

one of the things that makes the character of Jack so compelling is that there are so many layers to him... especially that something dark streak that comes out every once in a while.

I was watching "Red Sky" again and was just riveted to the screen during the scene where (highlight to read poss. spoiler)
    Jack storms in, completely loses it and threatens to kill the villager who sabotaged the rocket.

What amazing acting! What an amazing character! What glimpses of Jack's dark side have you found (broadcast episodes I mean, I know there's plenty of it fan fic land) and why do you think it fascinates us so?

Ravinia

I cant really think of any other times, when hes been serious..

But its quite a nice thort in an odd sort of way!!
    Sig by SamJackShipLover, thank you!!

"The Titanic lies in 13,000 feet of water on a gently sloping alpinelike countryside overlooking a small canyon below. Its bow faces north and the ship sits upright on the bottom. There is no light at this great depth and little life can be found. It is a quiet and peaceful and fitting place for the remains of this greatest of sea tradgedies to rest. May it forever remain that way and may God bless these found souls." - Robert D. Ballard, 1985.

Comment

In "The Other Side" when the team finally realized who the other side was and how the war started and Jack wanted nothing to do with the guy in charge, he guided the enemy missiles to the base and when the team left, he told the guy not to follow. When they stepped through the gate, he let them shut the iris and you hear the thunk of the guy hitting. The whole time they're standing on the ramp, Jack holds Sam's eyes and never flinches, while she is visibly upset with him. I thought this showed some of the dark side in Jack very well.
      In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
      so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
      Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
      Hic Comitas Regit
      Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
      Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Jack is a very dark character...and that's one thing that draws me too his character

The Other Side's a good example as LadyJeep's explained

But, there's also Abyss

Jack: Ba'al would be dead and it wouldn't stop with-
        Daniel: You're a better man than that
        Jack: That's where you're wrong!
        sigpic
        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

I don't know how anyone else feels, but In A Matter of Time, when Col. Cromwell asks Jack for forgiveness about the Iraq incident, I was very disappointed that Jack wouldn't forgive him. Jack responds with "what happened to no man left behind?".....and Cromwell points to the screen showing the fate of the crew doomed by the black hole, and Jack says "that's different". Yes, it's a different scenario, however, Jack wasn't left behind on purpose and I found it very disturbing he couldn't find it in his heart to forgive a man who was just following orders.

That's just my take on it.
          On fighting:
          Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
          Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Oooh I love the scene in Abyss and the scenes from Red Sky. Great episodes...

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
            Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

There's also Jack's special ops background...while canon doesn't tell us exactly what he did back then, he does mention having done "some damned distasteful things".

Also, while it's never confirmed, in the ep Need, there's hints that he may have been an addict...I don't remember the exact line, but when he's in the storage room with Daniel, he says something like "I know this" in reference to the withdrawal.

And, in the film, Jack was clearly contemplating suicide.
              Co-President of F.O.R.D. My SG-1 Slashfiction MyLiveJournal

Comment

Its a bit like Anakin in Episode 2 - when you can see him beginning to lose it
                Maybe Jack will turn into an uber-villain in Season 12.
                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                love Torri

Comment

Jack having a dark side makes him abit more...whats the word? ...interesting or appealing as a characture. It would be abit boring if he did'nt have a dark side and oooh what a nice dark side! LOL
                  SAM & JACK 4EVER!!

Comment

It makes him more real, too. If he was a stable character, then he would feel fictional because no one is that stable. I mean, I totally have by bad days, my worse days and my I'm-gonna-kick-your-butt-if-you-talk-to-me days, but I also have my good days and my I'm-so-happy-to-be-alive days. I mean, if he were always dark and dramatic, then it wouldn't be so real--and it would be kinda creepy But since he's a darker character balanced quite nicely with his kind, caring, sensitive side and his sarcastic, funny, doesn't-give-a-damn side he's much more real, believable and likeable. I think the dark side in him--just like the dark side in Daniel--is one of the things that makes him such a likeable and believable character.
                    thankee toasteronfire

Comment

Jack is definitely a multi-dimensional character which makes him great. He has endured quite a bit in his life...the special ops days, losing his son, etc. All he has experienced would definitely lead one to have a "dark side." Although...he does have a good side as well. Both prove very interesting to watch.

Comment

I like Chain Reaction when he points the gun at Kinsey. I'm not sure he would have killed him. but I think he was pretty close. Oh I love the scene in Serpents Song when he turns to Janet and says "Let me know when he dies" and Janet looks caught off guard by the force of his hatred. Very deep.

Comment

Speaking of leaving people behind...I know lots of people disagree with me on this, but Unnatural Selection defininately is a darker Jack time for me.
                          I hate that he thinks betrayal is not only necessary but justified when dealing with Replicators. If he'd claimed a necessary evil, that would've told me that Jack betrayed him because Fifth was so powerful and therefore a threat to Earth. It still would have bothered me, but even worse is that he said it was "the right thing." That seems to imply that he couldn't even seriously consider the possiblity of Fifth being genuinely good. Jack's inability to consider that his "enemy" might be honorable (like his early-season assertion that he will "never trust a Goa'uld") or worthy of remorse, at least, is for me a component of his dark side.

Comment

I agree about that presentation of Jack's dark Side. He didn't seem to want to believe there was any good in the little feller. I remember a Samurai teacher who said while describing how the Samurai fought face to face with swords that they did so because while fighting, one is able to see the humanity in thier aggressor and the same for the aggressor. There was good in Fifth - but Jack helped to shatter that by playing on his fragile innocence and making Sam (who did so only too willingly) betray him. That lack of trust could be in the end, technically, Jacks downfall.

... but then, I'm a bit pessimistic.
                            TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
                              I agree about that presentation of Jack's dark Side. He didn't seem to want to believe there was any good in the little feller. I remember a Samurai teacher who said while describing how the Samurai fought face to face with swords that they did so because while fighting, one is able to see the humanity in thier aggressor and the same for the aggressor. There was good in Fifth - but Jack helped to shatter that by playing on his fragile innocence and making Sam (who did so only too willingly) betray him. That lack of trust could be in the end, technically, Jacks downfall.

... but then, I'm a bit pessimistic.
                              If sam must've known somewhere deep down jack was right or she would have protested more, me thinks. I can't see this causing sam to lose trust in jack, shes always trusted him, disagreed with him but always trusted him!
                              SAM & JACK 4EVER!!

Comment

Working...
                              X