Babylon 5-best Sci-fi Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheHammond View Post
    B5 smokes all other Sci-fi shows, the plot arc, the moments, the politics, the complex morality. When people talk about cheesy dialouge I'm always shocked when I think of the conversations between G'Kar and Londo, and some of the speeches. Then I compare it with some of the cheesey muck that assails certain other over-rated and over-lauded short-lived shows.

Shakes head. People obviously want glib childish conversations whereby people sound slightly retarded.

SG-1 has the better team dynamic though and some great villians.

Apart from SG-1 and Farscape, no space opera comes close.
    I started a full re-watch not long ago (this time including Crusade now that I have the DVD set for the first time ). I don't know if B5 would qualify as the best sci-fi ever, but it's certainly my favorite. Though I am a fan of DS9 and other sci-fi shows (including Doctor Who), I keep coming back to B5 because of its uniqueness. At this point, watching Farscape (despite Ben Browder and Claudia Black) doesn't interest me.

The thing about B5 is that it's powerfully philosophical but at the same time, the writing can be very down-to-earth and honest—as down-to-earth and honest as some of the cop shows I've come to enjoy over the years. You don't exactly get that with other sci-fi.
    sigpic

Comment

JMS does incredible speeches. And he has great character interactions. G'Kar and Londo are perfection. It's his romatic relationship dialogue that is painfully cheesy.
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
        JMS does incredible speeches. And he has great character interactions. G'Kar and Londo are perfection. It's his romatic relationship dialogue that is painfully cheesy.
        I agree, but I think that has a bit to do with the actors involved, too. Sheridan/Delenn, for me, work best when they were dying for each other or defending each other; Bruce and Mira had zero romantic chemistry to me.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
          At this point, watching Farscape (despite Ben Browder and Claudia Black) doesn't interest me.
          Really? I would think you'd enjoy it considering it has the wackiness of the Doctor and the epicness of some of the B5 moments. Well, it's slow at first but gets crazy later on. It's unique in its own way as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
            Really? I would think you'd enjoy it considering it has the wackiness of the Doctor and the epicness of some of the B5 moments. Well, it's slow at first but gets crazy later on. It's unique in its own way as well.
            If I do end up watching Farscape, it'll definitely be after the B5 re-watch. It's just going through the trouble of trying to finding a way to watch Farscape since I don't have the DVDs. I'm really not inclined to spend any money on a show I may not even like.
            Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 11 September 2010, 12:55 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
              The only cheesy instance I can think of is "Revelations", with Sheridan mourning Anna...
              sigpic
              Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

""Kiss me like you mean it"

A good chunk of the Sheridan/Delenn romance. Goo-goo eyes, some comments. I try not remember that portion and it wasn't sooo bad as to be burned into my memory like some other show's lines.
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
                X