This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ouroboros
    The Ancients went to Pegasus and set up shop a long time ago. For most of that time they just puttered around seeding humans on the various worlds and doing whatever they usually did, researching etc.

Then one day about 9,900 years ago the Wraith suddenly sprang up as a bizzare man/bug mutation and just started to swarm out from their home planet. In less than 100 years the ancients had lost the entire Pegasus galaxy and all the human worlds they were formerly protecting to the Wraith. After hiding behind the Atlantis shield for some as of yet unknown length of time they realized they could never take back Pegasus from the Wraith, sank the city and went back to Earth through the gate.

The ancient weapon was a defence platform that attacked with the advantage of surprise, the Wraith thought it was long dead since it had been for the last 10,000 years or so.

It also only destroyed one hive ship, the other two then destroyed it when the bodgework Mckay had done to its weapon shorted out.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with the pea shooter thing. It wasn't a tiny satallite by any means since several men went inside it. It was also originally part of a vast network, the rest of which the Wraith presumably destroyed.
    i dont think it takes 12 million years to get to one galaxy with the ancient hyperdrives.and the ancients still had plent of time to get a very high population in this time.and i think the ancients would of tied up there lose ends in the galaxy before leaving and if they did see the humans and others like that it still wouldnt take 12 million years

Mckay: Size doesnt matter

Sheppard:thats a myth

I like farris wheels,college football and a good cup of tea.

Comment

I never said it took them 12 million years to get there. I figure they probably got there almost instantly. They just spent 12 million years messing aroung doing reasearch etc in Pegasus until the Wraith showed up and the party came to a crashing halt.

It's kind of a ridiculously long time for the city to remain the same as has been commented on in other threads. I don't see why the PTB felt the need to make them that old honestly. Stretches the old suspension of disbelief a bit.

I mean come on after 12 million years the squids built on Atlantis aren't any more advanced or differant than the ones left behind on Earth 12 million years ago.

So they didn't advance their tech one iota in 12 million years.

In 12 million years...

I speculated in another thread that the ancients probably had Atlantis like cities and other outposts all over Pegasus and the Wraith simply destroyed them all. In the 10,000 years between the time of the war and present day whatever evidence remained was just worn away or covered over by time.

This would help explain why they can just go out in the woods and find a hut with a ZPM in it. That hut wasn't always just out in the middle of the woods. It's just all that's currently left of what was once there. Everything else was orbit nuked by the Wraith fleet and grown over in the meantime.

It did say in "the Seige" that the ancients "controlled" and "protected" all the various worlds of Pegasus and that the Wraith took them from them. It seems likely then that they would have had some sort of significant structures and populations on those worlds they controlled, at least a few medium sized cities per planet.

Any of the other flying Atlantis style cities were probably destroyed in space when the Ancients tried to use them against the Wraith fleet.

Comment

It's kind of a ridiculously long time for the city to remain the same as has been commented on in other threads. I don't see why the PTB felt the need to make them that old honestly. Stretches the old suspension of disbelief a bit.
        I thought the exact same thing. Putting all of this into the context of many millions of years seems a bit much to accept. We have come pretty damn far in our less than a million years on the planet. I have a hard time accepting a race could be that many millions of years old and still manage to look just like their multi-million years younger versions. Their physical evolution simply stopped on the outside?
        On the other hand maybe thats why they're slow to progress with their technology they're just slow evolvers altogether and we're speedier new and improved versions?

It's a little hard to grasp

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
          I never said it took them 12 million years to get there. I figure they probably got there almost instantly. They just spent 12 million years messing aroung doing reasearch etc in Pegasus until the Wraith showed up and the party came to a crashing halt.

I mean come on after 12 million years the squids built on Atlantis aren't any more advanced or differant than the ones left behind on Earth 12 million years ago.

So they didn't advance their tech one iota in 12 million years.

In 12 million years...

I speculated in another thread that the ancients probably had Atlantis like cities and other outposts all over Pegasus and the Wraith simply destroyed them all. In the 10,000 years between the time of the war and present day whatever evidence remained was just worn away or covered over by time.

This would help explain why they can just go out in the woods and find a hut with a ZPM in it. That hut wasn't always just out in the middle of the woods. It's just all that's currently left of what was once there. Everything else was orbit nuked by the Wraith fleet and grown over in the meantime.

It did say in "the Seige" that the ancients "controlled" and "protected" all the various worlds of Pegasus and that the Wraith took them from them. It seems likely then that they would have had some sort of significant structures and populations on those worlds they controlled, at least a few medium sized cities per planet.

Any of the other flying Atlantis style cities were probably destroyed in space when the Ancients tried to use them against the Wraith fleet.
          they cant of destroyed them the shields were to powerfull unless they got destroyed before the ancients realised what a threat they are

Comment

ok i just thought of something ok

we see the woman that was frozen on SG-1 at the beggining of the first atlantas episode flying away in the city but if she was one of the remaining ancients that come back through the stargate she would of been millions of years old when she come back to earth and even older when they found her body so do the ancients live for millions of years? or was that just a mistake from the writers

Comment

I think they just reused the actress to tell you the truth.

they cant of destroyed them the shields were to powerfull unless they got destroyed before the ancients realised what a threat they are
              There's no reason for their planet bound cities to have shields like Atlantis did given that they'd been sitting around in Pegasus for 12million years in perfect peace and harmony without so much as a hint of an enemy until the Wraith showed up.

Why would they put shields over everything? There was no reason to. Pegasus is the galaxy of complaceny. First the ancients fell victim to it and now their former conquers the Wraith are as well, rather ironic.

As for the other Atlantis like cities that could fly in space that was just idol speculation trying to account for what they were doing in all that time. You can take it or leave it. Maybe they built more and the Wraith blew them up in fleet battles maybe they didn't, doesn't really matter in the long run. The idea of them all living on that one city for 12 million years is utterly absurd. Especially when they were all flying around dropping gates everywhere. In all that time no one ever decided to set up a home somewhere else?

Comment

well the ancients were very cautious and built safety measures on everything else so why wouldnt they have shields? things like the storm might happen and it think they need shields for things like that

Comment

Working...
                X