X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ancient tech

ok heres a question for u all

the ancients left earth 12 million years ago ok and they went to pegasus so in that 12 million years dont u think they could of colonised pegasus with a lot of ppl and loads of ancient technology and wasted the wraith.they only got defeated 10,000 years ago so how long was this war goin in

another thing

the ancients are the most advanged race in the galaxys they have been to (maybe universe) and this has been goin through my heads for long time .......the ancient weapon that took a wraith hive ship out should of been the same size of a pea shooter n took 2 of em out still lol this is really bugging me lets see what u think.
    http://www.phpbbforfree.com/forums/i...forum=atlantis

The Ancients went to Pegasus and set up shop a long time ago. For most of that time they just puttered around seeding humans on the various worlds and doing whatever they usually did, researching etc.

Then one day about 9,900 years ago the Wraith suddenly sprang up as a bizzare man/bug mutation and just started to swarm out from their home planet. In less than 100 years the ancients had lost the entire Pegasus galaxy and all the human worlds they were formerly protecting to the Wraith. After hiding behind the Atlantis shield for some as of yet unknown length of time they realized they could never take back Pegasus from the Wraith, sank the city and went back to Earth through the gate.

The ancient weapon was a defence platform that attacked with the advantage of surprise, the Wraith thought it was long dead since it had been for the last 10,000 years or so.

It also only destroyed one hive ship, the other two then destroyed it when the bodgework Mckay had done to its weapon shorted out.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with the pea shooter thing. It wasn't a tiny satallite by any means since several men went inside it. It was also originally part of a vast network, the rest of which the Wraith presumably destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros

I'm not sure what you're getting at with the pea shooter thing. It wasn't a tiny satallite by any means since several men went inside it. It was also originally part of a vast network, the rest of which the Wraith presumably destroyed.
      it just seems like with the ancients being so advanced they could have made the same weapon, just as powerful that is like a tenth of its size and a lot more of them. and:

Ouroboros, very good break down on the ancients "timeline".. it would be understanding to someone that has never even seen the show.. good job
      I am JJ, the Supreme Commander of the Furling Fleet!!!!

Comment

what i dont get is why atlantis doens't have one of those. i mean, sure, it would make the season finale a lot less dramatic, but it would be smart of the ancients to do something like that.
        ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

it just seems like with the ancients being so advanced they could have made the same weapon, just as powerful that is like a tenth of its size and a lot more of them. and:
          Maybe all those freaky seemingly useless wings and spikes it had all over it played some vital role beyond the understanding of our mere human monkey brains.

Comment

atlantis is a ship it must have sum mega powerfull weapons if it was the ancients last hope for civilisation and i think !Ancient! meant that with how advanced the ancients were they should have a hand weapon that took down a hive ship lol.......just look at the tolans they took an ha'tack ship with 1 blow n they was pretty small from the ancients weapon they used and that didnt look like a weapon powerfull enough to be built by the ancients to defend atlantis to be honest

Mckay: Size doesnt matter

Sheppard:thats a myth

I like farris wheels,college football and a good cup of tea.

Comment

I honestly think we're all blinsided by the fact because there is a war going on between humans and Wraith and there was one 10,000 years ago between the Ancients & the Wraith we're thinking there should be stockpiles of weapons everywhere because we need them. We just can't seem to get past our idea of what's practical to think that the Ancients probably didn't sit around all day thinking about all the best ways to blow something up in a big way.

If you were planting apple seeds all over the planet and you were sure there was no one around would you bring a machine gun and a wagon full of grenades to defend yourself against mysterious unknown forces you haven't come into contact with in the last 2 or three+ million years?

As long lived as the ancients might have been, they probably had several generations none of whom knew any kind of conflict, had no reason to build more than the most basic of weapons and didn't have an army of any kind to give weapons to if they did build them. I honestly don't believe they used all their knowledge and technology to produce the best of weapons. It was a case of too little too late. by the time they could have brought out their best they were already overcome.

Who's to say they even stayed in the Pegasus Galaxy for the entire time after they seeded the human populations? They could have explored elsewhere and come back at a later time believing there plans would have gone exactly as they set them forth. Any weapons they built may have been hurried in the last hundred years of their stay.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

so your telling me that if u was an ancient you would go into a diffirent galaxy not knowing whats there with basic weapons that might not be any use against enemys they know nothing about....in my opinion thats kind of dumb thinking.and by the way if the ancients were at war they would of built the pride of there technology to defend there only hope of a new life not just stick with weapons they used 1000 years ago.

Comment

remember, the ancients said so themselves, that they were very arrogant about their place in the galaxy. They thought they were the bees knees when it comes to advanced technology, so they didn't consider a threat from another race.
                  The Wraith, who are warlike people, came out of nowhere and wasted the Ancients. Because the Wraith are warlike, they already had guns and stuff built and were ready for war.

My off topic question is what did the Ancients call themselves? It would be stupid to refer to themselves as ancients becasue they're there. Did they call themselves "Presents"?

Comment

i think they was called either lantians or galaxians

Comment

ok whos the guy who took my rep points just for having a big sig?

Comment

Originally posted by True!Ancient
                        so your telling me that if u was an ancient you would go into a diffirent galaxy not knowing whats there with basic weapons that might not be any use against enemys they know nothing about....in my opinion thats kind of dumb thinking.and by the way if the ancients were at war they would of built the pride of there technology to defend there only hope of a new life not just stick with weapons they used 1000 years ago.
                        Actually they seem to have had the technology to investigate ahead of time and knew for a fact that the galaxy they were going to had no life. SPOILER Since it seems the Wraith evolved after they arrived there really was no one to shoot at when they arrived even if they had the weapons.

I personally believe the nature of the Ancient's civilization is to build on demand. It avoids waste. So they wouldn't have built more than the basics until it was evident they needed them. Could they have built better weapons, I absolutely think so. Did they think they would need them? No. They arrogantly thought what they had was good enough (and it must have been 99% of the time if they survived for millions of years)

Furthermore most of the ancient technology is built to last. If it was good a million years ago, chances are it was still good 10,000 years ago and still good now. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

so you would stay with the old weapons when you know that your losing? anyone with a brain cell would build the best tech they could or mass produce there most affective weapons to make the balance of power go back there way

Comment

Originally posted by True!Ancient
                            so you would stay with the old weapons when you know that your losing? anyone with a brain cell would build the best tech they could or mass produce there most affective weapons to make the balance of power go back there way
                            Personally, no but I don't think that was an issue in this case. I don't think it was a matter of their weapons being ineffective. Their weapons worked just fine. But if you have few people to fire them and weak battle tactics...

I suppose they could have built a bigger weapon, destroyed the glaxy and that would be that but I doubt they were on a genocidal kick.

The Wraith didn't even need to destroy the ancients or beat them down just cut them off from the resources they would need to build those weapons and wait patiently. It's an ancient tactic that works wonders no matter how advanced you are.
                            The ancients were obviously not inclined to fight anyway.

Comment

well anubis got the kull warrior tech from them so why didnt they build advanced ones or clones

Comment

Working...
                              X