This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exploding consoles.

Does anyone else think that it's stupid how SG has those stupid exploding consoles like in Star Trek? I mean come on, are Goa'uld and Asgard technology incompatible with surge protectors? Who else thinks that they should get rid of exploding consoles?

PS, Didn’t there use to be a poll option?

Things that merely stop working aren't as exciting as a sudden brilliant spark flying everywhere explosion!

Comment

What makes you thing the Goa'uld or Ancients have any concept of AC/DC? Not to be critical, but an overload is totally within the realm of possibility.

Comment

ya... u sorta need exploding consoles to make it look good... although they should come up with something else...

o and u need the pipes with steam in them... that serve no useful purpose... lol

Comment

One other possibility:

Some surges may be too much for even the SGC's surge protection to protect against.

But really, you lose all the excitement if the consoles don't blow up!

Comment

Well, at least they have seatbelts, or at least I think the earth ships have them.

Comment

lol, all ships should have seatbelts, just in case
              Save us from danger, save us from evil
              Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

Originally posted by jack and sam 4eva 2getha
                lol, all ships should have seatbelts, just in case
                Airbags, too! Can't forget the Airbags.

Comment

They have to have exploding consoles, otherwise no one can get cool burns on thier faces. Realisticly Inertial Dampners are more effective than seatbelts and airbags.

Owen Macri

Comment

I think the pipes are funny! and the sparks are sort of annoying.

Why is it so hard to repair the consol? can't you just replace it quickly.

Comment

Totally agree. You would think any species advanced enough to build a starship would be smart enough to design consoles that don't blow up in the operator's face

While i think these will always be around in sci fi for the oooh ahhh effect, a more realistic way of portraying it would be having the console simply report a loss of data, kind of like when your internet connection kicks you.

IE instead of *death ray hits engine, engineering console on the bridge blows crewman 20 feet through the air* it would be *death ray hits engine, crewman at engineering consol on bridge reports he has lost data from engine*

Comment

I wonder if they buildt the Daedalis(sp?) with OnStar?

See related thread:
                        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=11361

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                        Airbags, too! Can't forget the Airbags.
                        Last edited by chyron; 20 April 2005, 04:50 PM.
                        "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Comment

No offense, but consoles and computers have been blowing up like fireworks on the 4th of July since the days of Irwin Allen, and probably back to Commander Cody, come to think of it. In reality things don't blow up like that, but since TV is a visual medium....

Comment

You always see the consoles exploding and steam or gas pipes burst, but how often do you see some type of liquid container leak or burst. They should have someone show up after a fight covered in hydrolic fluid or worse, 'waste' water.
                            If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dotus5
                              You always see the consoles exploding and steam or gas pipes burst, but how often do you see some type of liquid container leak or burst. They should have someone show up after a fight covered in hydrolic fluid or worse, 'waste' water.
                              But the only places where usually find such containers are in storage or transport bays. But you could place such containers in the engineering area i suppose.

Comment

Working...
                              X