• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the Line of Duty (202)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE SG-1 - SEASON TWO
    EPISODE NUMBER - 202

Carter is possessed by a Goa'uld who claims to be an enemy of the System Lords. The Goa'uld, Jolinar of Malkshur, is being hunted by an assassin.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 06 February 2021, 10:36 PM.

AMAZING. INCREDIBLE. WONDERFUL. BRILLIANT. FABU. OUTSTANDING.

Amanda Tapping's performance in this is just indescribably good! It's a great plot line, lots of Sam whumping and all that.

Love the Gate Room scene and the "Dont leave me" scene.

Very very very very good episode.

Sam has some excellent lines and the way she goes from 'good' to evil is wicked!

Katie Stuart is back as Cassandra bless her she's such a sweet character and I love the way they used her.
    ------
    Shelby aka JessMerrick

Comment

There aren't many what I'd call "jump scenes' in the entire Stargate series, but watching Sam in the opening scene, mouth bloody, eyes glowing, was a definite jump scene for me(it helps that I hadn't been the least little bit spoiled). It was a great ep, one that sealed Sam as my fav character.
      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

This was the one that got me hooked on the show. AT's acting was excellent, though I thought everyone did a great job on this one. So much emotion held so tightly in check.

Also love the far reaching implications this episode had on the story arc of the show. The Tok'ra were a great addition to the show and this is where it all began.

This one is always in my every shifting top 10 list.

Comment

Basically I really feel that the whole idea of the Tok'ra is insane. We're just getting used to the idea that these parasites are supposedly inherently evil and this.. cop-out appears. Most Goa'uld are bad but there's these OTHER Goa'uld, who (at this point, anyhow) don't really appear all that different. After this episode, I've pretty much tried to ignore any time Jolinar and any other Tok'ra are mentioned. It gets pretty hard..
          The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

One of my half@$$ theories about the Tok'ra is that they are a group of Gou'ald who don't have enough power to be any real threat to anyone in a face to face confrontation so they decided to come together and infiltrate their enemies, using sabotage to defeat them.

IMO their arrogance and their condescension towards the human hosts is just confirmation.

I've never seen the Tok'ra as being truely good, nor truely trustworth exept for Jacob, and I think that has a lot to do with the host being strong willed and independant.
            ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
            The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
              Basically I really feel that the whole idea of the Tok'ra is insane. We're just getting used to the idea that these parasites are supposedly inherently evil and this.. cop-out appears. Most Goa'uld are bad but there's these OTHER Goa'uld, who (at this point, anyhow) don't really appear all that different. After this episode, I've pretty much tried to ignore any time Jolinar and any other Tok'ra are mentioned. It gets pretty hard..
              Now, me, I'm a Tok'ra fan. I see the introduction of the Tok'ra as one of the pivotal points in the series.
              It gave the SGC allies of a sort when they desperately needed them, and aren't all allies looking out for their own group's best interest at heart? By having their own agenda the Tok'ra add dramatic tension to any episode they're in, what's their purpose, can we trust them completely, etc.
              By introducing Jacob Carter and making him a Tok'ra, the SGC have a personal ambassador, a special connection and liason, Jacob/Selmak has conflicted loyalties, Sam Carter has a chance to interact with her dad, as does the rest of the team. I love to watch Jacob and Jack, such a range of emotions and possiblitities there.
              The Tok'ra add texture and uncertainty, drama and tension to Stargate SG-1. The idea of two personalitites living together in one body always seems to be full of dramatic potential.
              Slainte
              "There are many forms of power, my dear. Some more subtle than others." Linea to Captain Carter, Prisoners, S2.

Comment

Originally posted by Slainte
                I see the introduction of the Tok'ra as one of the pivotal points in the series.
                It gave the SGC allies of a sort when they desperately needed them, and aren't all allies looking out for their own group's best interest at heart? By having their own agenda the Tok'ra add dramatic tension to any episode they're in, what's their purpose, can we trust them completely, etc.
                I'll agree with that.

Jacob/Selmak has conflicted loyalties,
                Sadly the closest they've come to exploring the potential there was with Death Knell (s7) Here's hoping for more of it in s8.

I love to watch Jacob and Jack, such a range of emotions and possiblitities there.
                Yes, they have a fun relationship.

I'm a fan of 'having' the tok'ra on the show, it adds to the drama/excitement, but I'm not a fan 'of' the Tok'ra.
                ~BCM =)

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco

I'm a fan of 'having' the tok'ra on the show, it adds to the drama/excitement, but I'm not a fan 'of' the Tok'ra.
                  I am a fan of the Tok'Ra for the very reasons given by KorbenDirewolf <quote> Most Goa'uld are bad but there's these OTHER Goa'uld, who (at this point, anyhow) don't really appear all that different.

Tok'Ra are Goa'uld. They may oppose the Goa'uld philosophically but they come from the same culture and therefore should see things from the perspective of that culture, not from that of a human host.

This "east is east and west is west" mentality highlights the alienness of the Goa'uld species far more clearly than the cliche, hugely under-developed bad-guy Goa'uld. I sincerely hope that TPTB always keep this alienness in mind no matter how much they develop the Tok'Ra.

I agree with Slainte: <quote>I see the introduction of the Tok'ra as one of the pivotal points in the series.
                  Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                  "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                  One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                  resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                  confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                  A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                  The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

I like the tok'ra, but i am annoyed how they were arrogant and concieted, but yah, not all of them are like that.
                    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I guess that just goes to show that everyone has a different view. I'll just keep going my way and let everyone else go thier own. But I'll just say one more thing... Shouldn't both parties in an alliance trust each other? Although that really doesn't belong in this thread.
                      Last edited by KorbenDirewolf; 15 May 2004, 06:49 PM.
                      The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

... Shouldn't both parties in an alliance trust each other? Although that really doesn't belong in this thread.
                        That's a valid question and does belong in a thread about the Tok'ra and the SGC.
                        Ideally, yes, of course, allies should trust each other. Just take a look at so many alliances today and in the past, it's rare to find high levels of trust between allied countries. The UK and the US seem to have a continuing close relationship, but even between these two countries there have been rough patches over the years.
                        In regard to the SGC and Tok'ra, there are so many differences in culture and goals that it's amazing the alliance lasted as long as it did. Jacob Carter/Selmak did a great job keeping things together.
                        Slainte
                        "There are many forms of power, my dear. Some more subtle than others." Linea to Captain Carter, Prisoners, S2.

Comment

Just meant it didn't belong in an episode thread for "In the Line of Duty" as there is no alliance at this point in the series.

And from the way I interpreted what I saw, the SGC and the Tok'ra have never really shown any level of trust.

Comment

And from the way I interpreted what I saw, the SGC and the Tok'ra have never really shown any level of trust.
                            Not being big on world politics... or politics in general the closest analogy I can think of is the US and Russia, after the Soviet Union collapsed, by no means did we completely trust eachother but it was a starting point for future cooperation. And while we still don't see eye to eye on everything a measure of trust has grown.
                            ~BCM =)

Comment

I wish the Tok'ra would be more open with Earth... but that would mean the government would have to be more open with the Tok'ra and that is just impossible for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X