This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vampires?

When are they going to relate the Wraith to vampire mythology? They're still doing that right?

Huh?

What?

First I've heard of this...

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
    Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

No way they are not going down that route I'm sure of that it would make Atlantis look like the new Buffy.
      "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Huh? this is the 1st i'v heard of this.

Comment

Actually, vampire mythology is the first thing that sprung to mind when I saw the concept drawings for the Wraith for the first time.

I'd just been doing gothic lit, so the parallels were hard to miss; feeding off human life and therefore being bound by it; those teeth that look like they're for more than decorative purposes; the porcelain skin; the emaciated look; the large mouth with red lips; superior strength/mobility related directly to the feeding process; ability to affect their victim's state of mind; and really, really hard to kill...almost undead if you will.

All those things are everywhere in the vampire literature of the 18 and early 1900's.

Not to mention the Wraith Queen, who is a dead giveaway as a Vamp; Vamps were basically women that walked the streets at night, luring men into dark alleys, and were often depicted with red hair and large, red lips (think scarlet woman stuff).

Most vampire literature (that I've read) seems to have stemmed from Victorian anxieties about sexuality and the spread of disease through the cities, as well as anxiety over the influx of hedonistic foreigners (and so Dracula was born heh).

I'm pretty sure a lot of these parallels weren't by accident, but I've never had the impression that they were going to reference it more strongly in the show...

Comment

Shep even killed her by staking her which dropped her like a rock after 3 round bursts from a p-90 were doing essentially nothing to her insta-heal powers.

Rapid healing's another vampire trait and I don't need to comment on staking.

Interestingly enough some myths also state that Vampires are burned by water, not just holy water but water in general.

Remember the bug in 38 minutes and the ancients sinking their city.

I hope they leave it as a behind the scenes sort of thing the fans can connect the dots with on their own. I don't want to see it figuring into the actual show plots with "Count Steveula" or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
              Shep even killed her by staking her which dropped her like a rock after 3 round bursts from a p-90 were doing essentially nothing to her insta-heal powers.

Rapid healing's another vampire trait and I don't need to comment on staking.
              Ooh yes the staking...how could I have forgotten

Interestingly enough some myths also state that Vampires are burned by water, not just holy water but water in general.

Remember the bug in 38 minutes and the ancients sinking their city.

I hope they leave it as a behind the scenes sort of thing the fans can connect the dots with on their own. I don't want to see it figuring into the actual show plots with "Count Steveula" or something.
              Yes, so do I. I love that they put in little winks and references for us like that.

Personally, I'm wondering if the whole plague thing is another little reference, what with the relationship between vampirism and disease - particularly social disease.

Comment

Well, this actually brings up the point of - how much do writers put in there of how much you get out of it.

We could very well be putting words into their mouths.

On the flip side, what I love about analysing literature / movies / tv is that you're able to do that and you can't really be wrong.

Whatever you get out of it is there

Comment

i though that same thing when i first saw the wraith suck the life out of someone. with the trend of stargate using anchient myths and legends in the stories to give a reference point off of are culture to make the show seam more reall by making it look like alians from the past are the reason for the myths and legends works well .it would make sense to do it with atlantis. i believe that by them doing this is one of the unique things that has made the show the succes that it is. when the movie came out the twist on anchient egypt is why every one went to see it.

Comment

I like the ideas of keeping ita behind the show kind of thing. Actually putting vampire legends or history would kill the Wraith as local to the Pegasus Galaxy.
                    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

She is like Mystique from X-Men. Even the voice and the looks are almost the same .

Actually Wraith means ghost or something shadowy. Maybe something to do with a person before they die. Hence the darkness and the ghost images that Teyla said to stop shooting at.

Looks like Teal'c was wrong when he said the vampires were fake when he was talking about stories of Unas and how they are only to scare children. The Unas are as fake as vampires. He was wrong once so why not again and by his logic then vampires must be real.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger
                        I like the ideas of keeping ita behind the show kind of thing. Actually putting vampire legends or history would kill the Wraith as local to the Pegasus Galaxy.
                        not realy . do you realy think that the achients would come to earth and never talk about the wraith again. they were a major focul point of there life for thousands of years, stories change over time. we still talk about world war 1 and every one from that time is all but dead

Comment

It'll happen sooner or later, I'm sure. Even if it's just referenced as something that lived on in legend - like Atlantis - after Earth and Pegasus broke ties.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                          X