Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do politics in the real world shine through?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do politics in the real world shine through?

Do politics shine through onto SG1?

Actually, i doubt that most of the governments now informed of the Stargate would be willing to take such a backseat as they have in SG-1. I think there would definitely be a lot more heckling of Jack as virtually every decision he makes affects Earth's offworld policy and the nations who have agreed to defer to US attitudes would want a hand in shaping that policy.

They probably would see the reason for deferring to American judgement as they have more alien experience, but they would question everything and not wish to remain junior partners for long.

Comment

While SG1 sometimes handles alien politics, the only reference to any kind of terrestrial politics (whether national or international) is a little squabbling with the Russians and one off-hand mention that the situation in Antarctica was complicated.
      My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
      -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
      -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
      -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by col_oatmeal
        Do politics shine through onto SG1?
        Of course they do, but the last time I mentioned it, [mod snip - read "some people"] got pretty upset...to the tune of about 30 REP points. The truth can really hurt: their feelings; my REP. Their feelings are so easily bruised that all they can do is lash out at anyone with a differnce of opinion.

I made a reference on some thread talking about the episode Disclosure about the Chinese & French. It was not well received to say the least!
        Last edited by Madeleine; 18 April 2005, 08:31 PM.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Wow, you got thirty? I got like ... never mind. *ahem*

Anyhoo - I still think the StarGate should be buried - I mean, really, The US ain't gonna do nothin' with it - much I mean. And if they actually get some tech - chances are it'll be too good to not 'test'. It's like giving a kid a BB gun ad saying "Now, don't use the BB's, they're very dangerous" when the kid shouldn't have the gun anyway.

Thread locked in 20, 19, 18, 17...
          TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

There's nothing 'shiny' about politics in the Real World.

Madeleine

Comment

If this discussion stays focussed on whether RL Politics can be seen withing the show then it can stay open. I do not want any RL Politics shining through into this thread.

I can edit posts which lump large groups of people together by where they are on the left/right-wing spectrum and categorise them as unable to take criticism / heartless / whatever...

... but deleting them's easier; and closing the thread is easiest of all

Play nice

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
              X