This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
    Forgive me if this has been asked and answered before.

Was it ever established how long the stun effect from a Zat gun lasted?
    Nope, pure plot device.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Hmm, ok. Well what's the general consensus among fic writers?

Thirty minutes for the average humanoid to recover? More? Less?
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Hmm, ok. Well what's the general consensus among fic writers?

Thirty minutes for the average humanoid to recover? More? Less?
        30 mins to an hour is about the average based on the show.
        sigpic

Comment

Lovely. Thank you.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Lovely. Thank you.
            I THINK there have been times when Teal'c and Jack have recovered quicker, but IIRC Hammond took longer to recover in 1969.
            I think as long as you keep it consistent to your stories, no one will really notice TBH.
            sigpic

Comment

At most, it'll be a passing reference.

I'm in the very early stages of planning a Stargate/Rivers of London crossover.

For those not familiar with the novels, Rivers of London is broadly speaking Inspector Morse meets Supernatural.

Magic is real, but it has a detrimental effect on any form of technology with a microprocessor - it turns them to sand.

So, I had the thought that since Goa'uld weaponry is alien tech and doesn't use microprocessors it'd be useful for the SGC to let this special unit of the Metropolitan Police know what Staff-Weapons, Zat guns etc. can do. Just in case.
              sigpic

Comment

Those who have read the Cormoran Strike novels by Robert Galbraith (AKA J.K. Rowling), has Strike's military rank ever been established?

Was he an officer or an NCO?
                sigpic

Comment

Those who have read the Cormoran Strike novels by Robert Galbraith (AKA J.K. Rowling), has Strike's military rank ever been established?

Was he an officer or an NCO?
                  In the TV show (haven't read the books) there is flashback scene to where he gets his injury and his uniform shows sergeant's chevrons.
                  No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                  It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Based on what I have gathered his rank is never actually established. Even the fan site does not list his rank.
                    This MIGHT help, but I can't wade through the 50 odd pages to answer the question, I think if you have read the books you might have a feel for his rank based on what he is allowed to do and who he reports to.
                    https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov...h-20060730.pdf

This is the fan site as well:
                    http://strikefans.com/cormoran-strike/

Good luck BruTak!
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the help folks.

Just another mad wee idea I had, a representative of the SGC visits Strike in his office and offers him a small retainer just to keep his eyes and ears open for certain unusual things within a certain set of parameters, and to call a number immediately if all the conditions are met.
                      sigpic

Comment

US military serving overseas in a friendly country - the UK for example.

Do they get paid in USD, the local currency, or a bit of both?
                        sigpic

Comment

I'd think US dollars that the bank would convert to local currency. Assuming, that is, that they have a local bank account.

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

US military serving overseas are paid in US dollars. All the stores on base have their goods priced in US dollars. If they off base for food or shopping there are money changers to supply any needed local currency.
                            No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                            It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Just what I need.

Thank you both very much.
                              sigpic

Comment

The stores on the bases also carry American brands which are likely not available outside of the base.

I know this because The Mandalorian cosplay group I'm friends with, are invited to a convention in Germany each year (except this year) which takes place near or on an American military base, and they use that opportunity to stack up on snacks otherwise unavailable to them because not sold over here.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X