Page 176 of 177 FirstFirst ... 76126166173174175176177 LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,520 of 3539

Thread: Fic help.

Default Re: Fic help.

Only when the situation warrants it.

On Earth when going between his house and the office at Homeworld, or going grocery shopping, or eating lunch, or any regular activity probably not.

During a heightened alert status such when the Lucian Alliance bombed Homeworld, definitely.

If Jack went through goes off-world most likely he'd have a security detail.
    Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty!
    loves and loves right back.

No w/o a and no w/o a
    It's an immutable law of the multiverse.

Visiting a Homeworld Defence facility outwith the US?

Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Do the US armed forces still do officer exchange programmes?

An officer from an allied power serving temporarily with US forces?

Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Captain

It appears the program is currently under revision. It's called the Foreign Residency Program, under the Office of the Under Secretary for Personnel & Readiness.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Atlantis with Col Mitchell & Major Lorne!

hello,

I am hoping for some help please if anyone can. I write fanficiton and would love to know what medals Lorne has, we only see him once in his dress blues in SGA Sunday and I can't seem to get clear pics.

With everyone's lovely knowledge, do we know what he does have or make an educated guess I what he would have?

TIA x
    https://signavatar.com/files/sigs/4880_15.jpg
    JPJ = John's PuddleJumperJPJ: pssss Lorne I'm a 60%er!
    Major Lorne/Kavan Smith Thunk Thread, Lorne Whumpage Thread, Crazy Alternate Universe Thread, My ff.net account
    Banner sigs :- Shanthaia, CKO, Smurfettethatdoesnotshare, Fenrir Foxz, Kali1, SciFiSGFan and others

A question for my fellow Scottish people, specifically those who live in - or are familiar with - Inverness.

I've got the germ of an idea for a story (possibly more) called "S.H.I.E.L.D. Scotland" about the misadventures of the Scottish division of S.H.I.E.L.D., which is just three guys in pokey wee offices dotted around Scotland.

One guy in Glasgow (covering the West of Scotland), one in Edinburgh (covering the East Coast), and one in Inverness (covering the Highlands and Islands).

I know where I want the Glasgow office to be (somewhere in the bowels of Glasgow Central Station), and the Edinburgh office (part of a decommissioned secret military base under Edinburgh Castle).

But I've only been in Inverness a couple of times, and don't know the city very well.

So, what I need is somewhere fairly well known, but at the same time no one would question strange comings and goings at various times of the day and night.

Any suggestions?

In the Potter-verse, could there be a material that is proof against magic?

Much in the same way as Kevlar can be made into ballistic vests?

First Lieutenant StargateMillennium's Avatar

To my knowledge there is not material that is naturally resistant against magic but something could have a magical trait that makes them resistant to magic. It's been a while since I touched potterverse but I recall giants and trolls as being resistant to magic because of magic blood

Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Hides of dragons and basilisks are resistant to all but the most powerful spells while on a living creature. Not sure how strong that resistance is when made into other products, but dragonhide clothes do provide protection against medium strength spells.

Also, Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes manufacture and sell, Shield Hats, Shield Cloaks, and Shield Gloves. These are regular clothing items that have been charmed to be resistant to light to moderate strength hexes and jinxes.

No w/o a and no w/o a

Would it make sense that if a civilian was brought to one of the facilities that there would be something preventing them from calling or texting?

What's the most plausible way SGC would have said civilian moved from San Francisco to the Cheyenne base?

Also, are there different rules in dealing with civilians who are minors?
    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

The Cheyenne Mountain Facility was constructed to block (special shielding materials plus a literal mountain of rock) all electromagnetic frequencies which would include cell phones. Radio transmissions only get through because they are physically connected (via shielded cables) to antennas on top of the mountain.

Hand held walkie-talkies inside the facility should work just fine as the signals would just bounce around inside to the other walkie-talkies which are also inside the mountain.

Cell phones should not be able to get through unless special repeaters are installed. And installing those repeaters is major security hole.

The only tech with guaranteed ability to get a signal through would be the faster-than-light communication systems employed by various alien races. For example, at the end of season eight, Jacob/Selmak arrived with a USB drive sized subspace receiver picking up real time signals of Tok'ra tracking devices on Goa'uld ships from across the whole Milky Way galaxy.

The most plausible way to get a civilian to Cheyenne to work at the SGC would be to give them a job. It just has to have a plausible cover story that can be told to friends and extended relatives.

As for minors, you would have to tell their parent(s) or legal guardian. With an adjusted cover story to account for the age of minor. Otherwise people would question why the Air Force (the public face of the SGC) want a minor working for them.
    Last edited by iiradned; September 23rd, 2018 at 01:03 AM.

No w/o a and no w/o a

I think I articulated poorly. I definitely left some things out. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by iiradned View Post
    The Cheyenne Mountain Facility was constructed to block (special shielding materials plus a literal mountain of rock) all electromagnetic frequencies which would include cell phones. Radio transmissions only get through because they are physically connected (via shielded cables) to antennas on top of the mountain.

Hand held walkie-talkies inside the facility should work just fine as the signals would just bounce around inside to the other walkie-talkies which are also inside the mountain.

Cell phones should not be able to get through unless special repeaters are installed. And installing those repeaters is major security hole.

The only tech with guaranteed ability to get a signal through would be the faster-than-light communication systems employed by various alien races. For example, at the end of season eight, Jacob/Selmak arrived with a USB drive sized subspace receiver picking up real time signals of Tok'ra tracking devices on Goa'uld ships from across the whole Milky Way galaxy.

Alright. I need a way for the civilian minor to contact her parents to say she isn't kidnapped. I doubt 'This is the airforce, your kid is fine, but we need to keep here in an undisclosed location for a classified project' isn't going to convince people their kid is safe.

It's already questionable about how much the civilian's parents know about stargates and aliens.

The most plausible way to get a civilian to Cheyenne to work at the SGC would be to give them a job. It just has to have a plausible cover story that can be told to friends and extended relatives.
    That's the cover story they use eventually, when the civilian stays with them long-term.

But I meant the most plausible way to get her (the civilian) there. My bad.

As for minors, you would have to tell their parent(s) or legal guardian. With an adjusted cover story to account for the age of minor. Otherwise people would question why the Air Force (the public face of the SGC) want a minor working for them.
    I think you can work for the army at the age of 17. I think if the USAF decides they don't require boot camp, that can be waived.

But this civilian knows some helpful information and is a willing host for a symbiote who was helpful, but is currently in the heck of a prisoner and SGC wants it out of there.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

What is the family background of the minor? Are parents involved? Is the minor in an abusive situation? If so, the SGC could help initiate legal emancipation proceedings. As an emancipated minor the only age related restrictions they would face are voting and drinking/buying liquor. In all other situations the law would treat the 17 year old as someone over 18. They can enter into contracts, get married, get a job, live on their own, be in control of their finances, and make all healthcare related decisions.

As for physically getting to the SGC, buy them an airline ticket, get them a seat on a USAF transport (the USAF has several business jets just for moving people around), or beam them from San Fran to Cheyenne.

No w/o a and no w/o a

[QUOTE=iiradned;14637877]What is the family background of the minor? Are parents involved? Is the minor in an abusive situation? If so, the SGC could help initiate legal emancipation proceedings. As an emancipated minor the only age related restrictions they would face are voting and drinking/buying liquor. In all other situations the law would treat the 17 year old as someone over 18. They can enter into contracts, get married, get a job, live on their own, be in control of their finances, and make all healthcare related decisions.[quote]

The minor was raised by two normal human men and her godfather was a host to a symbiote (a nice one, but there was a falling out witht he Tok'Ra) who alsp has ties to the IOA (mostly money). The parents and minor know he's a host to symbiote, and that the USAF does something with a stargate, but tha'ts it.

There is no abusive relationship, unles you count the symbiote might have some enemies (too risky to say 'I'm right here, are you still made about that thing that happened centuries ago?'). Parents and minor don't know details.

Emancipation might be ideal, as she gets involved with SGC because she inherited the money as well as the symbiote (she was supposed to be a the next host, but when she was older). It wouldn't mean no more contact with her parents.

As for physically getting to the SGC, buy them an airline ticket, get them a seat on a USAF transport (the USAF has several business jets just for moving people around), or beam them from San Fran to Cheyenne.
    I didn't know that about business jets. Probably a good way to avoid TSA. Thank you so much! I'm going to assume the plane is more plausible since they aren't on that tight of a deadline.

Potterheads - refresh my memory on something.

In the books, is there reference to a spell missing its target, hitting something else, and ricocheting off?

First Lieutenant StargateMillennium's Avatar

Does it have to be in that order?

If memory serves when they tried to cast spells on creatures with magical resistances the spells were described to bounce off.

And one of the Weasley brothers lost an ear because Snape's spell either missed or went through its target.

Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Not on that particular order, no.

It's just an idea I'm considering.

Muggle character goads evil wizard into losing their temper and casting the killing curse. Muggle character dives forward, under the curse, rolls to his feet in front of the bad guy, and punches him squarely in the balls.

You know the expression "It's above my/your paygrade"?

I need help. Complete the following sentence - "This is so far above your paygrade that..."

Something about Scrooge McDuck not being able to pay for it? Or Lex Luthor?

Captain

Being above one's paygrade is a reference to responsibility, not actual money. However, if I had to finish that sentence, I'd say "even King Midas couldn't pay for it." Then again, I'm an old fogey.

Other possibilities--Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Adam Zuckor, Elon Musk.

And what about Tony Stark, if you're going that way?

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Hmm, maybe I ought to change it to "This is so far out of your league, Charlie Brown's taken his baseball and gone home."