Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we think it's possible for Carol Danvers and Sam Carter to have attended the USAF Academy at more or less the same time?
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      Do we think it's possible for Carol Danvers and Sam Carter to have attended the USAF Academy at more or less the same time?
      No, I don't think so at least for the MCU.

Spoiler for the Captain Marvel movie.
      Spoiler:
      Carol Danvers was an active duty captain when she was taken to the Kree capital in 1989.

Which means that she graduated in the early 1983 or 1984 at the latest when Sam was a young teenager still in high school.
      No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
      It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Two questions. One for the Potterheads, the other for the Trekkies.

Potterheads - as far as anyone knows, does the headteacher of Hogwarts still teach their own subject?

Trekkies - as of the current 24th century calendar year (2395?), who and what are hostile to the Federation?
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post

Potterheads - as far as anyone knows, does the headteacher of Hogwarts still teach their own subject?
          No, Dumbledore doesn't teach his own subject. He did once teach Transfiguration but I don't think he was headmaster back then.

sigpic
          Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
          https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Alright, I need some help on this one. I need events that would lead to the severance of the alliance between Earth and the jaffa/Tok'ra while keeping the motivations of both sides arguably just.

It starts with paranoia and uncertainty over Earth's newfound rise in power, leading to some preventative measures...then..then..then what? My aim is to have them come close to the brink of war. So what are the events that cause it?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
              No, Dumbledore doesn't teach his own subject. He did once teach Transfiguration but I don't think he was headmaster back then.
              That's what I thought. So, after the events of the novels, once McGonnigal becomes head, someone else would take her place as Transfiguration teacher.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                Alright, I need some help on this one. I need events that would lead to the severance of the alliance between Earth and the jaffa/Tok'ra while keeping the motivations of both sides arguably just.

It starts with paranoia and uncertainty over Earth's newfound rise in power, leading to some preventative measures...then..then..then what? My aim is to have them come close to the brink of war. So what are the events that cause it?
                Who is going to be the aggressor in your almost war? For the Jaffa and To'kra, all it would take is to have the Earth trying to reassure the Jaffa and the To'kra both, and every word they say just makes the opposing parties more paranoid. You don't need much. The Jaffa would think Earth is favoring the To'kra, if they agree to start helping find volunteers to act as hosts; the To'kra can think they're favoring the Jaffa, because of their relationships with the Teal'c, Ryac and the Haktyl (or however you spell that). All of this happened in the show, after all, and it did come close to war.

If you want Earth to be the aggressor, I think it would be harder.

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                  Who is going to be the aggressor in your almost war? For the Jaffa and To'kra, all it would take is to have the Earth trying to reassure the Jaffa and the To'kra both, and every word they say just makes the opposing parties more paranoid. You don't need much. The Jaffa would think Earth is favoring the To'kra, if they agree to start helping find volunteers to act as hosts; the To'kra can think they're favoring the Jaffa, because of their relationships with the Teal'c, Ryac and the Haktyl (or however you spell that). All of this happened in the show, after all, and it did come close to war.

If you want Earth to be the aggressor, I think it would be harder.

Seaboe
                  I actually would want to avoid definitive aggressors, try to give all parties justifiable reasons that make this downfall tragic. But if I had to pick an aggressor I would probably say...Earth.

Earth is now the fifth race. They have all the Asgard tech. They have a history of recklessness. They have an increasingly chaotic galaxy. And humans live comparatively short lives. The jaffa/tok'ra take preventative measures (disabling malware for example) out of fear if Earth suddenly gets a bad leader or abuses their tech. And Earth begins using increasingly abusive tactics out of increasing desperation stop the chaos while the allies feel increasingly uncomfortable. And this spirals them to the brink of war.

That is the premise I set up and at least one person said they felt the parties involved were being...stupid. So, I want to make sure they can follow this or a similar downfall without coming off as stupid.

sigpic

Comment

You need to remember the cold war. For all the fear between the powers, the final step was never taken. Never even came close, to be truthful.

Come to think of it, the cold war would be a pretty good model for your almost war. Just update the tech.

Seaboe
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Do S.H.I.E.L.D. agents have the power to arrest someone, or would they turn them over to local cops?
                      sigpic

Comment

I guess it all depends on who has jurisdiction over a particular case.

People with weird powers and abilities as are more likely to be S.H.I.E.L.D.'s responsibility even if all they do is commit petty crimes
                        No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                        It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

For all fanfiction writers here, you might find this interesting if you place your stories on Archive of Our Own.

https://www.themarysue.com/archive-o...-award-winner/

Comment

YAY!!

I'm a Hugo Award winner!
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

You ever try to get a book published, you can sell it as something "By Award Winning Author."
                              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Which, IMO, isn't really saying much.

A book can be a bestseller and sold millions of copies, gotten rave reviews, been translated into multiple languages, and gone on to be adapted into a movie or TV series - but that doesn't mean that it's actually any good.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X