Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We don't have highschool reunions over here, so I wouldn't know.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Plot Bunny thread but since it is mostly a medical background question for a plot bunny.
      I know that some kind of trace of any disease that you survive is left behind so the immune system will be able to fight it if you ever get infected again, so would it be possible for another disease to have some sort of interaction with whatever that trace is to change the reaction to the new disease some how?
      Not sure I asked that very well or very clearly. But I hope I got the idea across well enough that someone can answer my question.

Comment

You build up an immunity for a certain ammount of time, after either a vaccination or because you had the disease. Some are lifetime immunities, others are only a few days or weeks, or years.

Every new virus of bacteria is different from the previous version, and the body would thus react differently. To say, your immune system has to build new a new anti-virus in order to fight the disease.

The diseases themselves don't leave traces. Your immune system learns to recognize it, in a way.

And that's the simple, as I understand it, explanation.

Comment

On the other hand, some things can sneak up on you.

I have a skin allergy to nickle, I break out in a rash if anything with a high nickle content is on my skin.

But the thing is, the allergy didn't manifest itself until I was in my late teens.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by StormFirestar View Post
            Not sure if this belongs here or in the Plot Bunny thread but since it is mostly a medical background question for a plot bunny.
            I know that some kind of trace of any disease that you survive is left behind so the immune system will be able to fight it if you ever get infected again, so would it be possible for another disease to have some sort of interaction with whatever that trace is to change the reaction to the new disease some how?
            Not sure I asked that very well or very clearly. But I hope I got the idea across well enough that someone can answer my question.
            You should read up on T-cells. I think that will answer your question and also give you a way to explain it in-story.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
              You should read up on T-cells. I think that will answer your question and also give you a way to explain it in-story.
              Yes, those... I found some webpages which didn't require extensive medical knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                But the thing is, the allergy didn't manifest itself until I was in my late teens.
                That's not that unusual (although nickel allergies do usually have a genetic component). Many allergies do not manifest without previous exposure. An allergy, after all, is an over-reaction of the immune system.

I'm also allergic to nickel. Other than being careful with jewelry (stay away from most gold; they use nickel to harden it) and being advised not to work as a bank teller, it has a lot less impact on my life than my pollen allergies do.

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I'm fine with gold. I've got my BSG dogtags on a gold chain and don't have any problems.
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Well, if you start having an itchy neck or something, keep the nickel in mind. I'm clearly more sensitive--I can't wear gold.

I've always thought it odd that they use nickel in gold but not (apparently) in silver.

Seaboe
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

You kind of feel sorry for wee mad Frankie Boyle (a rather controversial Scottish stand up comedian), his Nickle allergy is so bad he can't handle coins without breaking into a rash.
                      sigpic

Comment

Right then, a question - is there a slang term for a Federal Agent (or similar) flashing his/her credentials at someone?
                        sigpic

Comment

It does seem as if there should be, doesn't it? Unfortunately, I don't know. Let us know if you find out.

Seaboe

Comment

Hmm, I'm fairly sure I've heard the expression "flashing the tin" somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

Just thought I'd get a second opinion anyway.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                              Hmm, I'm fairly sure I've heard the expression "flashing the tin" somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

Just thought I'd get a second opinion anyway.
                              I found you a second opinion on google: Tin - cop slang

TIN
                              1. The badge. also "tinning" -flashing your badge

Comment

Good job. Thanks.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X