This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
    Well, bear in mind that the RAF has different names for the equivalent rank in the USAF.

Remember to do your research.
    Oh yeah, definitely. I have done a little on the RAF ranking system. I was trying to figure out what rank my character Lydia would be, but I’m not sure if she’d have one as she’s a nurse. Although it did say you start out as a Corporal and go up to Sergeant. I’m still doing research though.
    sigpic
    He’s the moon when I’m lost in darkness, and warmth when I shiver in cold

Comment

There are military personnel who are nurses, so why not?
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

So this is for an idea later on down the line, but say a military member of the expedition got married to a civilian on Atlantis, would that military member have to be in dress uniform. It would be a rest day, like the episode Sunday (sans people exploding or anything exploding). I don't know what the procedure would be in those types of situations. I've seen it before on tv, but I wasn't sure whether it's an actual thing or not. Even if it's not I might write it in, because I kinda like the idea.
        sigpic
        He’s the moon when I’m lost in darkness, and warmth when I shiver in cold

Comment

I would think that service member would dress however they wanted to dress for their wedding.

As for what happens during the day of the wedding, those with duty at the appointed hour would be at their duty stations unless they were able to trade with others so they would be able to attend.

Also, I would think that they the actual Earth legal paperwork through the SGC in Colorado Springs as soon as convinient.
          No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
          It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

This Wikipedia article might be of help to you, Jay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_dress_uniform
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Potterheads - do we think the Weasley's are a musical family? Not in the sense of the Von Trapps, or the Jacksons, more "having a sing-song round the piano at Christmas" sort of musical.
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

How much to US military personnel stationed in the UK interact with the local community?
                sigpic

Comment

How much to US military personnel stationed in the UK interact with the local community?
                  Here is an article from BBC 2017 about the military people and theirs family's who are stationed in the UK https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-40457736 .

I need to know roughly when the ancients left theirs home galaxy was it 50 million BCE? 55? 60?

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended Jonas View Post
                    I need to know roughly when the ancients left theirs home galaxy was it 50 million BCE? 55? 60?
                    This might help you --->Timeline of the Ancients
                    sigpic
                    Sig by ME.

Comment

Apologies if this has been asked before.

What's the military equivalent to a cop resigning/quitting by turning in their badge and weapon?
                      sigpic

Comment

For officers it is resigning their commission. Though for service academy graduates they are required to serve a minimum time in service before they can resign their commission. David Robinson graduated from Annapolis in 1987 but his height (7 feet 1 inch) prevented him from serving at sea and was commissioned as a civil engineering officer in the Naval Reserve serving on active duty for 2 years. All service academy cadets in addition to their academic studies are required to participate in an athletic program. Robinson played on the academy's basketball team and was the NBA's number 1 draft pic when he graduated in 1987. The which picked him the San Antonio Spurs had to wait for active service to end in 1989 before he play for them.

For enlisted, I would guess there is a similar process, though I do not know details. But I do know that in the US it depends on their enlistment contract. Most enlisted US personnel sign up for a fixed term as specified in their enlistment contract. Thus their is talk of re-upping (signing a new contract) or letting it expire and getting discharged from the service.

Comment

How much damage can cauterization 'heal'? And I know it's not healing. But how bad does the injury have to be before it's useless? Like let's say someone gets stabbed in a manner similar to the clip below. What is the time until death? Could that person retain consciousness, cauterize their own wound, then engage in one final firefight before receiving medical treatment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlB5...ture=emb_title

sigpic
                          Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                          https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                            How much damage can cauterization 'heal'? And I know it's not healing. But how bad does the injury have to be before it's useless? Like let's say someone gets stabbed in a manner similar to the clip below. What is the time until death? Could that person retain consciousness, cauterize their own wound, then engage in one final firefight before receiving medical treatment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlB5...ture=emb_title

Hey, I sincerely doubt this injury would be survivable, and that they would be able to cauterise it or continue fighting. Can't give you an ETA on death but it would be pretty damn quick, imo. Looks like that stabbing most likely crosses paths with some of the large vessels in the thorax including aorta/subclavian vein, as well as most likely stabbing right into the heart, particularly that second stabbing. Obviously lots of people survive severe looking injuries based on how lucky they are and important things get missed by mm, but generally speaking that looks pretty final to me.

The idea or merit behind cauterisation would be stemming blood flow to prevent blood loss, so depending on the nature of the injury cauterising may not change the outcome anyway, depending on where they've been hit.

If you want them to be able to continue a fight and want cauterisation involved, I think a "flesh" wound would be your best bet so you avoid vital organ damage. Abdominal stab wounds are another potential option if you want them to continue for a short period, because depending on site of stabbing and depth it's not unreasonable that they have a bit of time up their sleeve - they would most likely need abdominal surgery. I'm not really sure that cauterisation would help or hinder in this scenario though? There are still organs that could be penetrated in Abdo wound (liver/spleen/pancreas/kidneys/major vessels etc) so just depends on the context and nature of the injury you give them.

good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                              For officers it is resigning their commission. Though for service academy graduates they are required to serve a minimum time in service before they can resign their commission. David Robinson graduated from Annapolis in 1987 but his height (7 feet 1 inch) prevented him from serving at sea and was commissioned as a civil engineering officer in the Naval Reserve serving on active duty for 2 years. All service academy cadets in addition to their academic studies are required to participate in an athletic program. Robinson played on the academy's basketball team and was the NBA's number 1 draft pic when he graduated in 1987. The which picked him the San Antonio Spurs had to wait for active service to end in 1989 before he play for them.

For enlisted, I would guess there is a similar process, though I do not know details. But I do know that in the US it depends on their enlistment contract. Most enlisted US personnel sign up for a fixed term as specified in their enlistment contract. Thus their is talk of re-upping (signing a new contract) or letting it expire and getting discharged from the service.
                              Hmm, gonna have to think about this.

Follow up question - have there ever been any cases of mass resignations?
                              sigpic

Comment

Hmm, gonna have to think about this.

Follow up question - have there ever been any cases of mass resignations?
                                The top search results:

https://360aproko.com/blog/2020/07/1...ng-boko-haram/
                                https://www.africanews.com/2020/07/1...n-in-the-army/
                                https://www.terradaily.com/reports/M...itary_999.html

Comment

Working...
                                X