This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
    You ever try to get a book published, you can sell it as something "By Award Winning Author."

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
    Which, IMO, isn't really saying much.

A book can be a bestseller and sold millions of copies, gotten rave reviews, been translated into multiple languages, and gone on to be adapted into a movie or TV series - but that doesn't mean that it's actually any good.
    Got any works in mind?
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

While that's true, BruTak, having those things happen greatly increases your chance of getting other works published.

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

If an officer had to pick up a couple of AWOLs, would he bring his own MPs or just borrow a couple from the nearest base/National Guard unit?
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I would think it would depend on whether he just stumbled across them, or knew where they were (in the latter case, I assume he'd actually send someone to pick them up, not go himself).

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

The scenario is he's been assigned to pick them up by the unit C.O.

The AWOLs had their leave in a small coastal town, and are occupying the only two cells in the police station.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Okay--if he's been assigned to pick them up, why wouldn't he bring his own MPs? It's not like he personally stumbled across them unexpectedly.

Seaboe

Comment

So I'm working on a couple of story ideas, some possible one shots and at least one multi chaptered story. And I was wondering about the military contingent in Atlantis. I know it's an international 'base' so there are obviously various different countries represented there. But when it comes to the military I know it's probably mostly US soldiers (Marines, Air Force, possibly Army not sure) but I have seen one or two soldiers from different countries. Basically I have a character who is British and is a nurse but she's currently in the RAF. Would it be out of place for her to be in Atlantis. It was never mentioned or anything, so I'm guessing there isn't just the US military there right.

If there definitely are militaries from other countries there, then I'm assuming they would wear their own militaries dress uniform for anything official requiring that....
                sigpic
                He’s the moon when I’m lost in darkness, and warmth when I shiver in cold

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Halstead View Post
                  So I'm working on a couple of story ideas, some possible one shots and at least one multi chaptered story. And I was wondering about the military contingent in Atlantis. I know it's an international 'base' so there are obviously various different countries represented there. But when it comes to the military I know it's probably mostly US soldiers (Marines, Air Force, possibly Army not sure) but I have seen one or two soldiers from different countries. Basically I have a character who is British and is a nurse but she's currently in the RAF. Would it be out of place for her to be in Atlantis. It was never mentioned or anything, so I'm guessing there isn't just the US military there right.

If there definitely are militaries from other countries there, then I'm assuming they would wear their own militaries dress uniform for anything official requiring that....
                  I don't think it would be out of place. An international expedition would have to draw its military personnel internationally as well. I don't know why but I keep remembering Chuck as Canadian military. As for the uniform, I would say so. I'm thinking to Beckett's funeral USAF personnel were wearing their full dress uniforms. It wouldn't make much sense and probably even break regulation to put military personnel into the wrong uniform for formal occasions.

sigpic
                  Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                  https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                    I don't think it would be out of place. An international expedition would have to draw its military personnel internationally as well. I don't know why but I keep remembering Chuck as Canadian military. As for the uniform, I would say so. I'm thinking to Beckett's funeral USAF personnel were wearing their full dress uniforms. It wouldn't make much sense and probably even break regulation to put military personnel into the wrong uniform for formal occasions.
                    Yeah I didn't think they would put other countries into US formal uniforms, but wanted to double check. I mean it's fanfic, but I want it to be somewhat realistic.
                    sigpic

Comment

I think it's safe to assume they had military personnel from different countries.

I always assumed that all of the countries who signed the Antarctic Treaty (which is a real life thing), would have a contingent of people represented in the expedition.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

One of the SGA novels - might've been "Halcyon" by James Swallow - touches on this.

A contingent of either SAS or Royal Marines serve a tour of duty on Atlantis.

So even though the series concentrated on the "A" team of Sheppard and co., Atlantis is a big place and there's bound to be other military teams comprised of other nationalities.
                        sigpic

Comment

Okay cool.

I'm kinda tempted to add in a couple Royal Navy guys as well as US Navy, would make sense to have at least some Navy on Atlantis, considering it's in the middle of the ocean.
                          sigpic

Comment

Royal Marines would probably be a better fit. Or maybe Special Boat Squadron.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                              Royal Marines would probably be a better fit. Or maybe Special Boat Squadron.
                              I was thinking of adding in some Royal Marines anyway so I can work with that instead of Royal Navy. I’m not adding in loads of British characters, but I figured Lydia would want some fellow Brits there to talk to. I think for the moment I might just stick with RAF and Royal Marines.
                              sigpic

Comment

Well, bear in mind that the RAF has different names for the equivalent rank in the USAF.

Remember to do your research.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X