X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent!

Thank you very kindly indeed.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      Excellent!

Thank you very kindly indeed.
      You're welcome. Glad I could help.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

How informal can officers of different ranks be with each other?

In my specific case, an Army Major and a Navy Lieutenant. They've been working together for several years, and are friends.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

How informal can officers of different ranks be with each other?

In my specific case, an Army Major and a Navy Lieutenant. They've been working together for several years, and are friends.
          If they're working together, it implies that they are part of the same command and since the Army guy outranks the Navy guy, the fraternization rules apply. (They'd apply even if they were the same rank grade (O-4 for the major and O-3 for the lieutenant) or one/both of them was civilian.)

I'm pretty sure they can refer to each other by first name or nickname, go each other's quarters to watch live sports, have drinks together at a bar, play on the same sports team, etc.

So long as they don't form a romantic attachment with each other or the major give illegal orders to the lieutenant it should be fine.

The above of course applies to US personnel, I'm not familiar with how other nations would handle this.
          No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
          It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Hmm, ok.

For context, the Major's male, US Army.
            The Lieutenant, female, Royal Navy.

Both part of the same multi-nation, multi-service command. He's field commander, she's intel officer.

No romantic attachment, he's happily married with two daughters (one grown up and one a teenager).
            She's single and gay.

Been working together for the past five years or so.
            sigpic

Comment

As long as their informality is not "detrimental" to discipline, good order, the mission, and respects the chain of command it's okay.

Comment

The fraternization rules are pretty much the same in every nation's military, I think.

Comment

One for the classical historians in the audience.

Would a Roman Legionary recognise a white flag of truce?

Or if not, what would they recognise as a sign that their opponent wishes to discuss terms?
                  sigpic

Comment

Wikipedia says that in 109 AD or CE white flags for surrender were recognized in the Roman Empire and before that they held their shields above their heads to signify such.

As for what symbols to use to signal a truce to discuss terms I can't find any as my google-fu seems to be weak,

Comment

An Olive branch has been used since the 5th century BCE in Greece and Rome.
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Or if not, what would they recognise as a sign that their opponent wishes to discuss terms?
                        A truce?!?

They came to conquer and subjugate... a truce... *snort*

Anywho... this is what History.com has to say on the matter:

The ancient Roman chronicler Livy described a Carthaginian ship being decorated with “white wool and branches of olive” as a symbol of parley during the Second Punic War (218 - 201 BC), and Tacitus later wrote of white flags being displayed as part of the surrender of Vitellian forces at 69 A.D.’s Second Battle of Cremona.

** Links contain more information about the war and Tacitus' writings.
                        Last edited by Falcon Horus; 14 December 2020, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Ok, good. So something white and/or an olive branch.

It's just one of these odd ideas that pooped into my head. An SG team on some distant planet facing the descendants of a lost Legion who were abducted from Earth by Goa'uld slavers.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ok, good. So something white and/or an olive branch.

It's just one of these odd ideas that pooped into my head. An SG team on some distant planet facing the descendants of a lost Legion who were abducted from Earth by Goa'uld slavers.
                            There's the Lost Legion of China... well, sort of... if you need any sort of inspiration...

And then there is of course, the 9th Legion which mysteriously disappeared... the Legio IX Hispana.

The 9th could easily be the ancestors of your off-world legionaires.

Comment

Oddly enough, a couple of weeks ago I happened upon a website that makes custom replica Legion signet rings and ordered myself a Legio IX ring.
                              sigpic

Comment

Now you just need your SPQR tatt
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X