Page 4 of 179 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Fic help.

Default Re: Fic help.

Quote Originally Posted by Seshat
    I used to use that site before I came across GW, great site
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Prophet
    Died serving his/her country...due to the nature of the work can not give any details...an honour to serve with...

The rest would be as personal as they could make it and might have to include a note to the effect that no body could be released for burial.
    Thank you. I kinda thought that was the story. I needed that little tidbit as well.

A veritable cornucopia of contributive information here. (I have to stop reading the dictionary. )
    You're never too old to do something goofy.
    Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Lightbulb Re: Fic help.

Hi, another request, altho I did ask this question on the Daniel Jackson discussion thread as well:

Does anyone know if Daniel Jackson was tortured? The closest I came to this was in Fire and Water where Daniel
    Spoiler:
    volunteered to let Nem probe his mind for the hidden memory, knowing it could cripple or kill him.

Just sayin', need it for fanfic reference. Thanks for any help.
    MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!

Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

there is a potential in new ground. i seem to remember daniel being returned to the others

but i think that's about it

I think he got the Blood of Sokar treatment in The Devil You Know, but despite the immense popularity of Danny Whumping he really does tend to get the psychological torment rather than being beaten with sticks.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Teal'c Re: Fic help.

On the subject of Dr. D. Jackson - does it seem locical that he'd at least know of (if not know personally) Lara Croft?

Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

If they exist in the same universe, I'd imagine he'd despise her. If they knew each other personally, they'd probably have a relationship not dissimilar to that Daniel has with Vala, although with slightly more anger and disdain and less flirtation.

Thumbs up Re: Fic help.

I think he got the Blood of Sokar treatment in The Devil You Know, but despite the immense popularity of Danny Whumping he really does tend to get the psychological torment rather than being beaten with sticks.
    Hmm, good point. Although we didn't get to see his emotional trauma-reruns, it's feasible to use anything in his memory and relate it to the blood of Sokar (or as Jack puts it, "something that reminded me of the 60's"). Acutally I prefer psych attacks rather than physical; less bloody and usually more powerful.

Just sayin', thanks for your input, Mr Prophet. That might work out.
    MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!

Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

If they exist in the same universe, I'd imagine he'd despise her. If they knew each other personally, they'd probably have a relationship not dissimilar to that Daniel has with Vala, although with slightly more anger and disdain and less flirtation.
    Hmm, good point.

Similarly, would Daniel be familiar with the antics of Dr. Henry "Indiana" Jones?

Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Quote Originally Posted by BruTak
    Hmm, good point.

Similarly, would Daniel be familiar with the antics of Dr. Henry "Indiana" Jones?
    Indy at least had the attitude of an archaeologist and a few vestiges of academic rigour. He was of his time, but he was into careful excavation and not making assumptions, at least when he didn't have Nazis breathing down his neck.

Indy at least had the attitude of an archaeologist and a few vestiges of academic rigour. He was of his time, but he was into careful excavation and not making assumptions, at least when he didn't have Nazis breathing down his neck.
    It's within the realms of posibility that Daniel could have met Indy. The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles shows Indy living into his early 90's at least.

I can just picture an elderly Dr. Jones accosting young Dr. Jackson at some museum or other, and Indy regaling Daniel with a tale of his misspent youth...

Groom Lake or Area 51 is part Nellis AFB, Nevada. It is about an hour's flight southwest of the Colorado Springs-Fort Carson-Cheyenne Mountain area. That is if you go by jet. Helicopter would likely take two to three hours. Highway travel would likely be a two-day trip for safety concerns, but it could be done in about a day. Nellis AFB is northwest of Los Vegas as far as I know.

As for Indy and Dr. Jackson the two would have to had met during Daniel's undergraduate studies. Indy now would be well over one-hundred and on his death bed. Unless of course he was actually a Tok'ra host and the Tok'ra was assigned to watch Earth for some reason. Being a Tok'ra host could explain the rapid healing of his frequent injuries. It also could explain a lot of other things about Doctor Henry "Indiana" Jones.

(Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by KSTreadhead
    Groom Lake or Area 51 is part Nellis AFB, Nevada. It is about an hour's flight southwest of the Colorado Springs-Fort Carson-Cheyenne Mountain area. That is if you go by jet. Helicopter would likely take two to three hours. Highway travel would likely be a two-day trip for safety concerns, but it could be done in about a day. Nellis AFB is northwest of Los Vegas as far as I know.
    nellis is right on the outskirts of vegas.

i would imagine if they needed to get from cheyenne to nellis, they'd just go over to peterson afb and hop a plane and fly there.

like you said, about an hour's flight

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver
    nellis is right on the outskirts of vegas.

i would imagine if they needed to get from cheyenne to nellis, they'd just go over to peterson afb and hop a plane and fly there.

like you said, about an hour's flight
    They do. In Off The Grid,
    Spoiler:
    Landry asks (or orders) Walter to have a plane ready at Petersen for a flight to Area 51

What are the proper words of command for forming a ceremonial arch and drawing swords at an officer's wedding? Anyone have any idea?

Question Re: Fic help.

Can anybody tell me how gunshot wounds were treated during WWII? Just to put it into context:

•Sheppard's team is on a planet at a WWII technological level.
    •The wound is life-threatening – nicked the subclavian artery.
    •The battle is over. The wound was caused by one of the last shots fired.
    •A doctor (native to the planet) is at the scene.
    •The wounded Lantian is left behind by the rest of the team.

This is the opening scene of a fic I'm writing, and I just need to know what I'm talking about. Thanks!
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../sheylama6.png
    Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

(Moderator)

he'd probably be dead.

i doubt that vascular surgery, especially in a battle field situation, would be able to deal with an arterial injury given 1950's level of tech

maybe, just maybe, if carson was there and knew what to do

i'm no military historian but an artery injury, especially in a place that can't be tournaqueted off, would not end well

even if shep or the other doctor patched him up, i would think shep would be pretty immobile for a while. I don't think he could risk doing anything too strenuous that might tear the artery open again

Earth Symbol Re: Fic help.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver
    he'd probably be dead.

i doubt that vascular surgery, especially in a battle field situation, would be able to deal with an arterial injury given 1950's level of tech

maybe, just maybe, if carson was there and knew what to do

i'm no military historian but an artery injury, especially in a place that can't be tournaqueted off, would not end well

even if shep or the other doctor patched him up, i would think shep would be pretty immobile for a while. I don't think he could risk doing anything too strenuous that might tear the artery open again
    Drat. Okay, time to go rethink the scene.

BTW, just out of curiosity – how did you know it was Sheppard? I said "the wounded Lantian" specifically to avoid giving it away to any Shep Whumpers who might lurk here. Then again, it's now occurring to me that they know I'm writing a whump fic... I'm just wondering how you knew.

Edit: Oh, how rude of me. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by CeeKay Sheppard; February 15th, 2006 at 10:39 AM.
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../sheylama6.png
    Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

(Moderator)

LOL

i'm sorry. i just guessed. do you want me to go back and edit my post?

you know, he could still be shot and it could still be serious without involving an artery. subclavian artery, so you're aiming for a shoulder wound. Well bullets can bounce off the scapula and end up back in the chest. It can be pressing against the heart, creating an issue that needs to be dealt with (although chest surgery would be a serious issue as well)

what if, instead of the artery, it hits a vein? lower pressure, it's more forgiving but can still be serious.

even with that though, i wouldn't imagine your person would be too mobile

simply removing the bullet and dealing with the muscular damage and lack of movement could incapicitate your person. i would imagine witha shot in the shoulder that their arm is pretty much useless. not to mention them not moving well and even breathing would hurt. even if the ribs aren't involved, you still use most of your chest muscles to breathe

and there is that pesky infection issue as well. antibiotics weren't widely used until WWII adn most folks died of infection rather than their wound.