Page 2 of 187 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Fic help.

Riding her scooty throne in the Poking Land

Default Re: Fic help.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket4477
    If anyone has questions about Colorado geography and stuff for a fic, I'd be more than happy to help out. Just PM me if that is needed.

Thanks Rocke will PM ya if need anything going north to...um.....From Colorado

Chief Master Sergeant Tomcatter's Avatar

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could help me out before I cook up my little fic. If you could answer my question or point me in the right direction, that would be great. I already seached through the omnipedia and forums, but couldn't quite find the answer.

I'm under the impression that to ascend, more than likely you have to die, although it is not a must. Given that there are rules for ascension, is it 'illegal' -- for lack of a better term -- to commit suicide, even if its sort of a martyr, sacrificing-for-the-greater-good thing? (I'm thinking Meridian here.) And when you ascend to a higher plane, what happens to your body? Does it just disappear?

I'm still catching up on my SG-1 eps, but I don't have access to all of them, only the ones that air on tv. 'Threads' was a good starting point, 'Abyss' helped me out a little, and I STILL haven't been able to catch 'Meridian,' but of anyone could answer these questions I would be grateful! Thanks.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

ascension seems to be a metaphysical state, something you either achieve (anubis did that) or someone helps you achieve (like oma did to daniel)

we see in meridian that your body just....goes away. so it's not like if your soul left your physical body, leaving behind an empty shell. nothing is left behind

as to it being ok to commit suicide to ascend, i really dont know. the show has never dealt with that. however, dying seems to be optional, oma has never indicated that she died, rather that she achieved the ascended state so i think you have some leeway.

you can make them die if they need to, or jsut make them ascend

does that help?

Yes, that does help, thanks! I feel shamed for not seeing those episodes, lol.

Since not a lot is known about ascension, I do have some leeway with the whole process, right? Hopefully?

(Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcatter
    Yes, that does help, thanks! I feel shamed for not seeing those episodes, lol.

Since not a lot is known about ascension, I do have some leeway with the whole process, right? Hopefully?
    there is some leeway. I think the writers have done this deliberately to make thier own jobs easier (just like on atlantis, they've never definitively said what all is there, so that, if they need to 'find' something, they can. they're being deliberately vague in that regard)

as to the ascension, well if the 'most evil' of all goauld can do it, then it must not be based on much merit and that suggests that it's more along the line of something anyone can accomplish if they want it

Ok, back again with anothe question, one of more opinion this time....

Does anyone think the whole character-dies-and-is-ascended thing is used too often in fics? I only read those on ff.net, so if anyone has any opinions?

(Moderator)

i'm not sure how to answer that, and a large part of it is up to personal taste. personally, i think it's overused in the show. once was ok, twice was silly and ascending all of abydos was beyond stupid. It's like having a sarcophagus in the infirmary and all of a sudden no one cares if they die cause they'll just ascend and descend and cheat death

i haven't read all that much fic that has ascension in it, however i also don't read much daniel fic, which, since it's happened to his character twice, is a natural for ascension/descension.

i have read a few with an ascended janet playing matchmaker and, if it's done well, can be a decent plot device.

i guess my only suggestion is don't treat it like a convenient plot device. bonus points if you can find a unique way to represent it other than 'daniel dies, ascends, is mourned, descends, smarmy ending'

like any plot device it can be over used. i've lost count of how many times thor has saved jack, sam or the rest from death

I was thinking more along the Atlantis fic storylines... sorry to be unclear, lol, but it did help! Thanks.

Anyone know of a site with a layout of the SGC. I need to know what floor Daniel's office, the cafeteria, the infirmary, the gateroom and the jails and the VIP rooms are on.

Please PM me. Thanks. : )
    <a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Scarym1/DGEEKSIG-1.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...DGEEKSIG-1.jpg</a>
    Sig by the Multi Talented KASS. : )

Chief Master Sergeant GaterGina71's Avatar

Default need some help for details in fic.....

First, what is the max age someone can join the AF? Second, if someone suffers from addiction/ alcoholism before joining, does the AF have to know and how can it affect thier joining? Of course I know they have to be clean, but is there a certain time they have to be free of drugs? Thanks.

Default Re: need some help for details in fic.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ginalynn71
    First, what is the max age someone can join the AF? Second, if someone suffers from addiction/ alcoholism before joining, does the AF have to know and how can it affect thier joining? Of course I know they have to be clean, but is there a certain time they have to be free of drugs? Thanks.
    Don't know. You might try the main Air Force siteand the Air Force recruiting site. The Air Force Times and the Department of Defense might help, too. If you don't find what you're looking for in any of those places, I'd ask on the main board with a thread title that asks for military help specifically. Something like "Air Force Enlistment Requirements--Please help." Or you could call your local recruiter and ask him/her.

Chief Master Sergeant GaterGina71's Avatar

I went to the recruiting site, and it said to call my local recruiter to get the kind of info I need. Thanks for the links though.

I do know that to join the AF academy (ie to become an officer) the max age is 23 and I believe that it is 28 for enlisted entry, so it depends on what rank you want your character to be.

As for the addiction thing, I'm not sure, sorry.
    I am not disorganised, I have anti-systematic methodology disorder.

There is a thread already in this section of the froum called "Fic Help". Please have a use of thread in the future.

PS: I'm just pointing it out, not trying to be rude.

(Moderator)

and now the two threads have been merged

yay woot. Thanks Denise

Hello All!

I remember reading somewhere of a list of all of the SG teams and what their primary area of work was, like the SG Marines. Does anyone know where this listing is or have this information?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sela
    Hello All!

I remember reading somewhere of a list of all of the SG teams and what their primary area of work was, like the SG Marines. Does anyone know where this listing is or have this information?

Thanks!
    Try here: http://www.stargatehandbook.org/sg1/sgunits.html

Quote Originally Posted by Seshat
    Whoa. That is awesome! That is more that I asked for. I've got to print that puppy out so I can read through and highlight passages of it.

Thanks Boo!

Quote Originally Posted by Seshat
    ohh, thanks this does has info

Page 2 of 187 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast