No announcement yet.

The Serpent's Lair (201)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aside from Aphophis' ship gate mysteriously vanishing with no mention, they've been consistent in stating that Stargates are indestructible in all cases short of overcharging the naquadah inside the gate or using a naquadria bomb to vaporize one.

They destroyed a planet by setting off all of its naquadah deposits, which, in theory, turned the whole planet into a "giant ball of super heated plasma." All that energy wasn't sufficient to destroy the gate, so it's highly unlikely that the destruction of a Goa'uld ship would come close.

As to the Alkesh crashing into a Stargate in "48 Hours," here's a quote from the episode:

CARTER
    If the Alkesh crashed into the DHD on the other planet it would have cut off power to the outgoing gate. Then the wormhole would have been severed prematurely. Now if that happened before our gate was able to reconvert Teal'c's energy signature back into matter...
    DHDs are extremely fragile, Stargates are not, so the problem in that episode was that the Stargate lost power when the DHD was taken out, not that the Stargate itself was destroyed.
    Last edited by Xaeden; 07 April 2020, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
      Aside from Aphophis' ship gate mysteriously vanishing with no mention, they've been consistent in stating that Stargates are indestructible in all cases short of overcharging the naquadah inside the gate or using a naquadria bomb to vaporize one.

They destroyed a planet by setting off all of its naquadah deposits, which, in theory, turned the whole planet into a "giant ball of super heated plasma." All that energy wasn't sufficient to destroy the gate, so it's highly unlikely that the destruction of a Goa'uld ship would come close.

As to the Alkesh crashing into a Stargate in "48 Hours," here's a quote from the episode:

DHDs are extremely fragile, Stargates are not, so the problem in that episode was that the Stargate lost power when the DHD was taken out, not that the Stargate itself was destroyed.
      And yet when you see the Alkesh fly into the DHD, the resulting explosion quite clearly tears the Gate apart too.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Here's the clip: https://youtu.be/naFoBOTD2Ag?t=59 The Alkesh goes down right on top of the DHD, causing a wave of dust and fire to engulf the gate. I slowed it down to .25 and it at no point looks like the gate blew apart before we lose sight of it.

Comment

The wormhole was just overcharged from the explosion, but the gate was not destroyed in the 48 hours. I have to rewatch that episode.

I always expected some stories whether the Atlantis gates have got naquadah as well or have the Ancients given up this metal material later? Or it would have been interesting to know why the Goa'uld hosts have got naquadah in the bloodstream while the ancient Goa'uld haven't had such things (see season 4). So I am guessing they were not licking the gate directly, but it was worth of building the naquadah into the hosts' biology if they could locate the stargate on a planet etc. The Universe gates were made even more weaker materials, I hope it is not a big spoiler here after a decade.

Back to the Apophis gate.. Probably it was floating away in the solar system if it was not destroyed entirely. Since it is moving nonstoply with high speed, maybe that gate is lost anyway as the gate system can not lock it to adapt its position. But this is also just my fan theory.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
            Here's the clip: https://youtu.be/naFoBOTD2Ag?t=59 The Alkesh goes down right on top of the DHD, causing a wave of dust and fire to engulf the gate. I slowed it down to .25 and it at no point looks like the gate blew apart before we lose sight of it.
            At 1:07 the explosion reaches the Gate. As the flames engulf it the visible section of the gate has a secondary explosion come from it splitting that section of the ring in half.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I see the ring engulfed in flame, but I don't see it being split in half.

The wormhole seems to shut down at the same time the background turns white. Flames then appear from our right and engulf the gate. There's a moment where there's a brighter yellow in the middle of the ring, right above the red chevron. I assume that looks to you like a break in the Stargate, but to me that just looks like the flame wrapping around the gate. Right after that, that same yellow color shoots up and down the ring, then fills the screen.

Comment

Re the naquadah in the bloodstream of the original hosts--they probably got it through food grown in soil heavily polluted with naquadah.

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Working...
                X