No announcement yet.

The Serpent's Lair (201)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, a geosynchronous orbit is merely one that matches the Earth's rotation. It doesn't have to be at the equator.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I love this episode - and actually the whole 4 part episode arc (even with politics being partly a clip show), I remember the first time I watched season one, when I got to these four I was blown away with how good this show was getting.

Quiz: 14/15 (couldn't remember the director)

Error: Watched the scene giving back the weapons twice on Hulu, can't find the script in the scene - anyone have a screenshot?
      sigpic
      signature art by lunasera

Comment

Originally posted by lunasera View Post
        Error: Watched the scene giving back the weapons twice on Hulu, can't find the script in the scene - anyone have a screenshot?
        You could check in the Gateworld screencapture gallery if you can locate it there.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          You could check in the Gateworld screencapture gallery if you can locate it there.
          I looked there and didn't see it... unless I'm just super unobservant!
          sigpic
          signature art by lunasera

Comment

12:23
            http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

12:23
              http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Considering the ha'tak tanked nukes of over a thousand megatons with zero affect, would it be far fetched to assume that ha'tak bolts are capable of several thousand megatons? I mean, they do have to destroy each other in practical amounts of time.

sigpic
                Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Actually, I don't think they'd have to be bigger, if the point is that the bolts are capable of piercing the shields (Earth's nukes were not).

Seaboe
                  If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

When the Ha'tak ships have exploded, what happened with that Stargate which was on the board of the Ha'tak? Could it land on Earth or has it floated away in our solar system?
                    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

The best fan explanation I've seen is that it it was "buried" in metal that liquefied during the explosion and then solidified when exposed to space. It then presumably remained floating in space and was perhaps finally picked up by a spaceship and relocated offscreen in the later seasons.

Comment

I mean we would have heard about it
                        Spoiler:
                        if there is a third gate on Earth. But even the gate on Thor's ship was not destroyed, while the Pegasus gate must have waporized by the Mark-IX in the series finale of Atlantis
                        . So I am guessing you are right, the gate is probably destoyed.

By the way there must be lots of debris after battles around Earth (and in our Solar system), but somehow nobody notices such space rubbish.
                        Spoiler:
                        Like the 30 Ha'tak ships of Anubis or the battlefield on Antarctica... Actually now as I am thinking about it,they have shown the remains of Anubis' ship in 8x03 when he has flown to Earth as a black smoke.
                        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I don't think it was destroyed because that's not possible. That may have been what the writers intended when that episode was written, but it was later revealed that nothing short of a Mark IX warhead can take a Stargate out, so it had to survive.

If, instead of remaining in orbit or falling to earth, the explosion sent it into deep space, it would have been effectively inaccessible until earth started building ships and sensors that can detect naquadah.

Comment

Probably it was floating away from Earth as it would have blocked the SGC if it would stay in orbit aroun Earth.

Comment

The Earth travels millions of miles around the Sun each year and the Sun pulls the Earth and the rest of the solar system as it travels around the galactic core, yet it takes thousands of years for a gate address to change, so a Stargate floating around the solar system should still have the same gate address as one on Earth.

That's why I said maybe it was buried in metal that liquidized in the explosion and then solidified around the gate. I don't know that it would interfere with everyday gate operations on Earth if it wasn't buried as its DHD definitely would've been destroyed, and it was never made clear how the gate network determines priority in the case where two gates without a DHD are around. However, if a non-dominate, unburied second gate was around, Sg-1 teams would risk ending up in space if a power surge ever happened again and Apophis could have caused a power surge to send gliders to the second gate after he recovered.

Comment

More likely it was destroyed entirely. I mean yes the Gates are tough and have survived a lot, including an asteroid slamming almost directly into on, but then an Alkesh plowing into one obliterated it. Logically if a power plant on a small Goa'uld ship is enough to do that kind of damage then it's pretty certain a Hatak going up would destroy one too...

Then again TPTB where never all that consistent with such things.
                                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                                X