This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airport metal detectors

I'm supposed to be taking a flight monday morning. I recently got both my nipples pierced. Will the metal rings set off the metal detector alarm and will the skycaps make me remove them?

Anyone else with nipple rings? Any idea of how long I can have them out before they close?

More then likely yes. You should contact the Airline you are flying with and ask them about the security procedures regarding your body piercings. You will probably have to remove them while you are moving through airport security though. The airline might tell you to remove your piercings (if you can do so) for the duration of your travel, and then you can put them back in (on?) when you get to your destination.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Metal detectors are set to be extremely sensitive these days. My guess is that your nipple rings by themselves won't set it off, but if you have any other metal on your person, they could tip the balance.

If you set off the metal detector, you are taken aside and wanded. At that point, when the wand picks up your rings, you can explain that you just had the piercings done and cannot remove them yet. I don't know anything about nipple piercings, as I have no piercings aside from my ears, but I do recall being told not to remove my earrings for about a month.
      I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh
        I'm supposed to be taking a flight monday morning. I recently got both my nipples pierced. Will the metal rings set off the metal detector alarm and will the skycaps make me remove them?

Anyone else with nipple rings? Any idea of how long I can have them out before they close?
        The pins in my Mum's feet set them off so probably yeah. Just be straight with the security guys about it.
        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Buy plastic rings so that they won't close. Heck I removed my eyebrow piercing for a few hours and I had to re-pierce the damn thing myself.

Comment

Metal detectors are extremely sensitive; the metal clasp on my sister's bra set one off. They take you over to one side and use the WAND. Then all you have to do is explain them; that should be enough to get you past.
            The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
            The viewpoint of one person is not the viewpoint of all - ShadowMaat
            Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori - Horace
            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
            Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
            An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi
            Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon

Comment

Or your forced to strip

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                Or your forced to strip

Ahh.... the plastic glove alternative.
                The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
                All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
                Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato

Comment

Me and my dad had a knife by accident and it did not set the detector off in either new york or atlanta! And this was a year after 9/11 on the same date.
                  Last edited by buckner; 16 April 2005, 01:28 PM.

Comment

I live in the UK. We went to Florida the month after 9/11 and the security was extremely tight. There were soldiers patrolling everywhere.

They searched everyone thoroughly. Even though I didn't the metal detector off they still padded me down. AND made me take out the batteries on my Gameboy and Minidisc player. I didn't get chance to save that game and lost it all.

Comment

I once walked right through a metal detector and later once I was on the plane, I realized I had a few dozen saftey pins in my pockets. Go figure.

I hate planes now.
                      TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

I don't think they would make you take them out. You might just have to prove what they are.

On another flying note, don't take any cigarette lighters with you. You can no longer take them on any US flight. Not even in the check in luggage. That started on April 11.
                        If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Comment

I brought my digital camera on board a flight once. All they had me do was turn it on and off.

When x-raying my luggage, they saw what could have been a screwdriver. Turns out, it was my electric toothbrush.

When I was sitting in the terminal in Feb '02, there was an explosion nearby. It shook the terminal somewhat. I thought it was the air conditioning turning on but I was still concerned. It was a big jolt. I asked the woman at the ticket counter about it and she told me they are blasting nearby and it was nothing to worry about. I really cen't remember a time when my local jetport wasn't undergoing some kind of expansion or repair.

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh
                            I brought my digital camera on board a flight once. All they had me do was turn it on and off.
                            They do that to make sure it actually works and isn't a bomb. They ask that of any electronic equipment.
                            If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dotus5
                              They do that to make sure it actually works and isn't a bomb. They ask that of any electronic equipment.
                              Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I've flown with my laptop, cell phone, and Palm many many times, and I've never been asked to power them up.
                              I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X