Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Put the Some Gates in the Pegasus Galaxy in Space?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who Put the Some Gates in the Pegasus Galaxy in Space?

Makes little sense to me that the Ancients would put the Gates in Space.

As a means of moving people, it seems like a really bad idea... dial the wrong address, and you are vacuum frozen! A planet with a Gate in space would be off limits to any society without interstellar flight capabilities.

Putting the Gates in space wouldn't buy you a defense against the Wraith, because they already have space capabilities. In fact, it is rather convenient for their darts (as much so as for the Puddle Jumpers).

Here's an educated guess:
    The only folks with a motive for isolating worlds and limiting Gate travel are... THE WRAITH. Keeps their different flocks from wandering too far. It could also keep certain planets off limits to humans altogether, if that suits their purposes.

Comments? Contrary theories? Embellishments to the theory? Did I miss anything? Let's have at it!

When a planet explodes the gates sometime survive.
    As is proven by how Carter threw a bloody gate into a bloody sun and it was still capable of lasting long enough to make the star itself EXPLOODDEEE.

Comment

Originally posted by John Preston
      When a planet explodes the gates sometime survive.
      As is proven by how Carter threw a bloody gate into a bloody sun and it was still capable of lasting long enough to make the star itself EXPLOODDEEE.
      That still wouldn't place a gate in a stable orbit around a planet.. and if it did, what odds that it would be a habitable planet?

The accidental placement of gates just is too improbable to account for more than ONE such placement, and even then, it seems rather far fetched.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
        That still wouldn't place a gate in a stable orbit around a planet.. and if it did, what odds that it would be a habitable planet?

The accidental placement of gates just is too improbable to account for more than ONE such placement, and even then, it seems rather far fetched.

Remember, there's a Human hating group out there.
        They might've gone about blowing up planets, which would then spit the gate off in a random direction, which would then catch it in orbit about a planet...or make it crash land on the planet.

Really, goodness only knows. The Ancients could've done it, the Wraith or someone really wacko.

Comment

The Wraith doing it makes the most sense.

Comment

it really could have been either group. Remember that pre-wraith all those worlds were not so backward and would have had ships and everything so accessibility to the gate would not have been an issue then. Also it seems puddle jumpers are a feature of this galaxy but not ours so it could seem that the intention was that we walked through the gate in our galaxy but they travel by jumper there. It is unlikely that the ancients would have developed puddle jumpers after the wraith put something there. Also in their numbers the wraith were so powerful that their flock moving around would not create many problems at all and we can see some worlds did have gates on the ground while some did not. For example Athos, its gate was on the ground and the people went to other worlds to trade shown by Teyla's knowledge of other worlds and their people. So while it is very plausible and reasonable that the wraith put them in space they didn't do it for all planets suggesting it was done by the ancients.

Comment

The PJ's don't seem to have any problems accessing the gates. The gates seem to maneauver itself so it is accessible by the PJ. Who's to say that's the only gate in the vacinity, meaning there's one on the planet too. Granted, it may cause a dialing nightmare, but just a possiblity that either gate can be accessed. Which brings up maybe the 9th chevron works to select a which specific gate in the area with the same 7-8 combinations? Also, maybe that planet was designed to have a gate in space because the Ancient's research required it to be so.

Specifically though, the episode I remember the space SG in was Sanctuary. The reasoning for the gate being offworld was because
              1) Inhabitants couldn't leave, being their curse for their protection.
              2) For their protection, so no one could invade and Chaya wouldn't have to use her powers so readily.
              3) Making it inaccessible, so no one else could come to the planet and fall under the protection of Chaya or mess up things on that planet. Again, enticing Chaya's power.

I don't recall any other episodes with that type of gate off hand... It's been awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by SG Zero
                The PJ's don't seem to have any problems accessing the gates. The gates seem to maneauver itself so it is accessible by the PJ. Who's to say that's the only gate in the vacinity, meaning there's one on the planet too. Granted, it may cause a dialing nightmare, but just a possiblity that either gate can be accessed. Which brings up maybe the 9th chevron works to select a which specific gate in the area with the same 7-8 combinations? Also, maybe that planet was designed to have a gate in space because the Ancient's research required it to be so.

Specifically though, the episode I remember the space SG in was Sanctuary. The reasoning for the gate being offworld was because
                1) Inhabitants couldn't leave, being their curse for their protection.
                2) For their protection, so no one could invade and Chaya wouldn't have to use her powers so readily.
                3) Making it inaccessible, so no one else could come to the planet and fall under the protection of Chaya or mess up things on that planet. Again, enticing Chaya's power.

I don't recall any other episodes with that type of gate off hand... It's been awhile.
                The very first one when the team decided to check out a Wraith planet, which makes it consistent with the original theory that the Wraith put the gates in space.
                "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

What if you didn't know a gate that you were going to travel through was in space and you didn't know it? I think we send something like a MALP through but what about people who travel the gate network (if any) and just walk about? Would there be some kind of safeguard to stop people going through the gate to their deaths?

Comment

Its to stop the native folk dialling out onto wraith worlds maybe
                    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                    love Torri

Comment

The ancients might have put the gates there. They had puddle jumpers and could travel through gates in orbit easier than ones on planets. For example, there are stones in some gates, or trees or even someone walking around. Going through the gate at such high speed could be dangerous for both the people and the ancients.

Presumably when the ancients put the gates there, no one else had their level of technology. Maybe the ancients felt safer if they were the ones who could use the gate network. Gradually as they came to trust humans they put them on the planets with them, except for some cases like Chaya's planet.
                      The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
                      The viewpoint of one person is not the viewpoint of all - ShadowMaat
                      Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori - Horace
                      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
                      Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
                      An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi
                      Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Cronus
                        Going through the gate at such high speed could be dangerous for both the people and the ancients.

Presumably when the ancients put the gates there, no one else had their level of technology. Maybe the ancients felt safer if they were the ones who could use the gate network. Gradually as they came to trust humans they put them on the planets with them, except for some cases like Chaya's planet.
                        Maybe Chaya did not want a gate on her planet - before the warith had ships this could have been a defence against them
                        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                        love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
                          As a means of moving people, it seems like a really bad idea... dial the wrong address, and you are vacuum frozen! A planet with a Gate in space would be off limits to any society without interstellar flight capabilities.
                          Remember that matter can only pass one way through a gate, so if you dial an address where the gate is in space, you wouldn't be sucked into a vacuum until you reached the other side, so there is no way of telling. Also, I don't think many people in the Pegasus galaxy would use the gate network because of the huge wraith threat. Sure, if people didn't use a MALP then they'd die, but maybe the gates in space didn't originate in space, maybe they were moved from a planet's surface or a planet has blown up, the stargate being the only surviving thing after thousands of years. There are various plausable reasons and i'm sure Rodney will end up finding a good reason for space gates

- "I ask you. What could possibly be in my eye that would explain this?"
                          - "Lose it…it meant go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one’s faculties, three fries short of a happy meal….WACKO!"
                          - "I'm taking this loop off..."
                          - "Did they try the doughnuts? You made sure they were krispy kremes right?"
                          - "Carter, all I heard was matrix, and I found those films quite confusing."
                          - "I played Def Jam Vendetta."

Comment

ok i am probaly wrong but

maby some of the wraith were smart and moved it in to space to stop people like the GENII with there bombs, killing them while they slept.

i mean think about it in all the time since the ancients left do you think the genii were the ones to try and kill the wraith.
                            GODS LAST MESSAGE TO HIS CREATION IS...
                            Spoiler:
                            WE APOLOGISE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

THE ANSWER TO LIFE THE THE UNIVERSE ANDEVERYTHING IS
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by captain_kirk999
                              Remember that matter can only pass one way through a gate, so if you dial an address where the gate is in space, you wouldn't be sucked into a vacuum until you reached the other side, so there is no way of telling. Also, I don't think many people in the Pegasus galaxy would use the gate network because of the huge wraith threat. Sure, if people didn't use a MALP then they'd die, but maybe the gates in space didn't originate in space, maybe they were moved from a planet's surface or a planet has blown up, the stargate being the only surviving thing after thousands of years. There are various plausable reasons and i'm sure Rodney will end up finding a good reason for space gates
                              Again, the planet blowing up theory is a bit silly.

If the planet blew up, the matter on it would tend to aggregate to some degree at least. It would either return to form a planet, form a moon, or form an asteroid belt. Regardless of which, the Gate would go WITH that other matter. In none of these cases do you wind up with a Gate, all by itself, in a stable environment.

As to the gate not allowing anyone to be sucked through (though the scientifically correct term is blown through), that's a given. However, unless you are using a MALP, why dial if you aren't going to walk through? The argument was relative to non-spacefaring and somewhat primitive humans without the benefits of ships... I should have specified without the benefit of MALPS for the sake of making it proof of misinterpretation.

Originally posted by kesterr
                              ok i am probaly wrong but

maby some of the wraith were smart and moved it in to space to stop people like the GENII with there bombs, killing them while they slept.

i mean think about it in all the time since the ancients left do you think the genii were the ones to try and kill the wraith.
                              That's along the lines I am thinking, and that is an excellent example of why the Wraith might do so: privacy!

Comment

Working...
                              X