X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about Ancients devices

Help please...

I have a plot bunny that I'm thinking of turning into a fic, but I'm somewhat hampered by the fact that I haven't seen any of S8 or SGA (since I don't get cable)... and the plot kind of prominently involves an Ancients device. And I assume that S8 and SGA both kind of include a lot of new info about Ancients and their devices.

So I have a couple questions which I was hoping somebody could answer for me (questions include minor spoilers for the SGA pilot, for which I read the Gateworld synopsis in a moment of weakness).

Assume that the device that I'm making up has kindasorta-but-not-exactly the same function as the armbands in "Upgrades." It's shaped like a box. It affects those that touch it. The effect is permanent and relatively mild and harmless (compared to the "Upgrades" armbands), but it can only affect a limited number of people... kind of like Machello's page turners.

My questions:
    1. Has anything like this been done before on the show? (I'm obviously not counting the "Upgrades" armbands or the Ancients' database.)

2. Does this sound to you like something that would require the Ancients gene to operate? Or is there really no way of knowing?

3. If it does sound like something that would require the gene, if all members of SG1 touch it at the same time, does it seem plausible to you that Jack's presence would activate it, but everybody would be affected? Even Teal'c? Or definitely not Teal'c? For that matter, do we know for a fact that Daniel and Sam don't have the gene?

Many thanks! Oh, and a personal request - I do plan to see S8 and SGA S1 when they come out on DVD, so please limit the spoilers as much as possible. I realize some spoilers are inevitable in order to answer the questions, I'm just asking that they be limited as much as possible. I really don't need to know about S8 events (the fic will take place in S7 and become AU) - I just need to know the pertinent facts. Thanks again

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

You may not be able to watch the shows but you are able to read the transcripts. Hope this helps

http://wiki.stargate-sg1-solutions.c...ht_Transcripts
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
      You may not be able to watch the shows but you are able to read the transcripts. Hope this helps

http://wiki.stargate-sg1-solutions.c...ht_Transcripts
      Thanks But actually, I really, really don't want to read the scripts before seeing the episodes. Maybe after, but not before. I really want to be as unspoiled as possible. That's why I was kind of hoping to have these questions, and only these questions, answered - while reading the scripts would answer a whole bunch of other questions that I don't want answered until I've had a chance to see the episodes.

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Katerine
        My questions:
        Has anything like this been done before on the show? (I'm obviously not counting the "Upgrades" armbands or the Ancients' database.)
        No, not that I can remember.
        [*]Does this sound to you like something that would require the Ancients gene to operate? Or is there really no way of knowing?
        I have mixed feelings about this. The ancients wouldn't really have a need for such a device, but OTOH they wouldn't want to give such an advantage to a primitive/young people. Also, having permanent effects wouldn't exactly work with our current human bodies and brains

If it does sound like something that would require the gene, if all members of SG1 touch it at the same time, does it seem plausible to you that Jack's presence would activate it, but everybody would be affected? Even Teal'c? Or definitely not Teal'c? For that matter, do we know for a fact that Daniel and Sam don't have the gene?
        The Goa'uld weren't around before the Ancients left for pegasus so if it was invented before Pegasus then no, if after maybe, but I wouldn't have it block Goa'ulds. We don't know that the Ancient repisitory of Knowledge blocked Teal'c because he was Jaffa. So I guess it's up to you.

If you need someone to brainstorm technology with feel free to contact me. I love making up technology, or making up a somewhat "real" explination how it works.

Comment

Working...
        X