This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard's and ZPMs?

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, since I couldn't find anything on it. If the Asgards, Furlings, and Ancidents were all working together at one point... shouldn't the Asgard have ZPM technology? I know the Asgards can activate gate addresses that are further away. How come SG1 has only received little to zero help from the Asgard regarding Atlantis. You'd think the Asgard would be very interested in this finding. Sure SG1 had problems making it to Atlantis with the hijacking and such. How come the freaking Asgard didn't help us. Shoot, they may be even able to take out the wraith!

Originally posted by Oma Desala
    I'm not sure if this has been posted before, since I couldn't find anything on it. If the Asgards, Furlings, and Ancidents were all working together at one point... shouldn't the Asgard have ZPM technology? I know the Asgards can activate gate addresses that are further away. How come SG1 has only received little to zero help from the Asgard regarding Atlantis. You'd think the Asgard would be very interested in this finding. Sure SG1 had problems making it to Atlantis with the hijacking and such. How come the freaking Asgard didn't help us. Shoot, they may be even able to take out the wraith!
    the asgard have been busy with the replicators. they have been beaten to the point of having one planet and a handful of ships, they finally have a means to fight the replicators, but that will still take time to wipe them out. even with all that the asgard have been helping us. they have given us hyperdrives and beaming technology as well as who know what else. they havent been able to actively help us fight, simply because they dont have the resources or ships to do so, so they have been helping us by giving us tech. im sure the asgard are interested in Atlantis, but until they re-establish themselves and secure themselves in their own galaxy, they cant afford to send ships and personell on exploration missions. as of "New Order" they had a handful of ships, about 5 plus the Daniel Jackson, and only a couple Asgard had bodies. they just need time to rebuild.

As for the ZPM technology, it would seem they dont have or utilise ZPE technology. when they were trying to blow up the Beliskner, the briefing Thor had recorded said that the Ship was powered by four neutrino ion engines, and judging by the scale on the display, each one was bigger than the prometheus, so it would seem they dont have ZPM technology, otherwise why wast so much space on massive generators like that?

Comment

Well, the ancients developed ZPM tech well before the other 3 races evolved. When the great alliance happened, the ancinets were on their way down, and i think they knew it.
      But just because you are allied with someone doesnt mean you give them everything. Also, although the asgard are WELL beyond us and super cool, they were still millions of years behind the ancients.
      Maybe the asgard just didnt NEED zpm. They had their own power sources and im sure they are working fine.
      Also, IMO, a ZPM is overkill in opening a wormhole to another galaxy. It just so happens that we have no ther way. The one we had was so close to depleation that opening to pegasis just killed it off. The asgard must have something that allows them to reach that level of power. It might not be as compact or long lasting, but it gets the job done.

As for Atlantis, i'm positive the asgard would be interested. for now, they might want to keep the shows apart. Or even might have a legal issue (i know, crazy, but possibly true). the writers have hinted that the asgard could show up eventually. For an IN SHOW answer. the asgard have their own problems. They pop in once in a while to help us a bit, but they are very busy and few in number. With the events that season 8 ended on, i wouldn be suprised if they show up and help more. They knew atlantis could be usefull, but that was more of a long term thing. they needed to stop the replicators NOW.

Also, if they gave us everything we wanted, it would be a pretty boring show.

I kind of ranted off there... again, so if any of my comments are scattered or unclear, ask me and ill make it better.

Spoiler free since Jan 3 2005 (It's getting harder each day)
      DOOOOOOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Gaterholic
        Well, the ancients developed ZPM tech well before the other 3 races evolved. When the great alliance happened, the ancinets were on their way down, and i think they knew it.
        well we dont actually know that. thats one of the biggest problems with the show, they have never given us a definitive timeline for the ancients. everything is "it happened long ago" also they are in the process of retconning ZPM's into the show which confuses the issue and ticks me off. we had never heard of ZPM's until Lost City, but now they are popping up all over the place, we have found four in the Milky Way already. they are making it seem like ZPM's were common place among the Ancients. but what would have been better is if they had just simply said that ZPM's were new technology which is why Atlantis needed them, and it would have kept ZPM's out of SG-1 completely. it would also tie up nicely why the Asgard didnt have them, and would have kept the ZPM idea in Atlantis.

Comment

we do know a few times of when things happened
          we know atlantis is at least a few million years old as it left earth to peagues a few million years ago

and we know the asgard were a faily new space race over 10'000 years ago

Comment

Yea, most of it is just guess work, but there is a fairly stable timeline going.
            In breif,
            Ancients leave a few million years ago. in that time, the Asgard and other species evolve.
            They come back about 10,000 years ago, have a nice allience, and then die off or ascend. We know the alliance had to be then because 100,000 years ago they barely had space travel.
            Soon after the goa'uld come to power.
            As for ZPMs, Not sure when they were made, but seeing how they are scattered all over, i would like to guess sometime before they left for Pegasis, seeing how the entire city is designed for their use.

DOOOOOOOM!

Comment

Yea, most of it is just guess work, but there is a fairly stable timeline going.
              In breif,
              Ancients leave a few million years ago. in that time, the Asgard and other species evolve.
              They come back about 10,000 years ago, have a nice allience, and then die off or ascend. We know the alliance had to be then because 100,000 years ago they barely had space travel.
              Soon after the goa'uld come to power.
              As for ZPMs, Not sure when they were made, but seeing how they are scattered all over, i would like to guess sometime before they left for Pegasis, seeing how the entire city is designed for their use.

So here's a question... if they Ascended or died off before the Goa'uld came into power, how could they have programmed the machines that held the knowledge of the ancients (their databases) to ignore the Goa'uld and not give them the knowledge?
              I think that there must have been some contact between the Ancients and the Goa'uld at some point....
              Oh Furlings oh Furlings... wherefore art thou Furlings???
              ... Anyone seen them?

Comment

I think they were dying off as the goa'uld were poping up, so they saw it coming. The asgard might have added it, or it might just have been advanced enough to detect the evilness!

DOOOOOOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue5
                  So here's a question... if they Ascended or died off before the Goa'uld came into power, how could they have programmed the machines that held the knowledge of the ancients (their databases) to ignore the Goa'uld and not give them the knowledge?
                  I think that there must have been some contact between the Ancients and the Goa'uld at some point....
                  actually we dont know that the repositories recognize goa'uld. that was the assumption when it didnt react to teal'c, but that was before we knew about the the gene, it may not have reacted to teal'c because he didnt have the gene. we actually dont know how the repository would react to a goa'uld in a host with the gene

Comment

Goa'uld with the ancient gene...scary thought...I wonder if the Naquada in the blood would stop the recognition...maybe so...
                    sigpic

Comment

Yea, until S8, we had just assumed that it was anti goa'uld. Now we dont know if it was that or the gene, and the writers havent told us yet. I'm sure they will just tell it inb some dialouge next year.

I dont think any goa'uld would have the gene, but the host might. So would it react to symbiots thoughts, or the host?

DOOOOOOOM!

Comment

Yea, until S8, we had just assumed that it was anti goa'uld. Now we dont know if it was that or the gene, and the writers havent told us yet. I'm sure they will just tell it inb some dialouge next year.

I dont think any goa'uld would have the gene, but the host might. So would it react to symbiots thoughts, or the host?
                        i think that the only reason that the repository would react to the presence of a goa'uld would be because it would detect two minds in one body. the only time the Ancients would have maybe known about the goa'uld would have been the Ancients returning from Atlantis but the repositories were in place before they returned and werent updated, so they wouldnt have been programmed to reject a goa'uld specifically.

Comment

Without more info it's impossible to determine exactly when the ancient's developed ZPM technology. You'll notice earlier in the series that the ancient tech we came across looked similar to Goa'uld tech and nothing like what we see in SGA. We also have to distinguish between Alteran and Lantian. We have to assume that the ancients weren't totally unified for millions of years. In the grand scheme of things we are all Tau'ri but there's differences between American, Chinese, etc.

Comment

it is possible the asgard powercore is the asgard's form of a ZPM. however, having a small powerfull uberenergysource around would be very convenient.... for the replicators

Comment

Working...
                            X