Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are they the "real" SG1: An analysis (Spoilers for Moebius, Threads and other eps.)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are they the "real" SG1: An analysis (Spoilers for Moebius, Threads and other eps.)

Warning--This post contains spoilers for the SG1 episodes Moebius Parts one and two, Threads, 2010, 1969 and Fragile Balance, and the Atlantis episodes Rising Parts one and two, and Before I Sleep.

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

Lately, the boards have seen a lot of activity concerning whether the SG1 at the end of Moebius is the same SG1 we've known for the last eight years. This question arises due to the two massive timeline changes caused by SG1 during this two-part episode. Fans have made reference to the disparity of the final scenes of this episode and the one preceding (Threads), both depicting the same events. In the first, Jack and Sam are fishing and Sam says something along the lines of "There aren't any fish in this pond are there?" Jack says, "No." In the second exchange, a fish jumps out of the water, and Sam asks, "Didn't the tape say there were no fish in this pond?" Jack replies, "Close enough." The conclusion many have drawn--Our SG1 is no more. At the very least, there are two different timelines

I've got news for you, kids. "Our" SG1 has been no more for a long time. More properly, the original timeline has been altered substantially on a number of occasions. Let's see how.

(Note that this analysis by and large is based on the model used by M. Joseph Young (http://www.mjyoung.net/time/index.htm), who runs a website dedicated to examining the inconsistencies of time travel as depicted in movies.. His model of time travel allows for changes in the timeline due to temporal interference. SG1's producers seem to follow a similar vein of thought. I have simplified Young's model somewhat. Were he to analyze the episodes I will, he might well conclude the timeline had been irreparably damaged.)

Episode Title
    Effect on Timeline

The original timeline ceases to exist when SG1 travels back in time. If it would have continued, SG1 would have been labeled missing in action, and the SG program may or may not have continued without its best team.

We have in its place a second timeline wherein SG1 is present and alters events in 1969. They interact with Catherine and Lt. Hammond. In this timeline, there is no note from the older Hammond to the younger, so either Hammond does not help them or he does so without seeing the note. It is unclear just how that note is produced. Perhaps the first time Cassandra sends them back they arrive before they left, thus giving Hammond the impetus and opportunity to write this note. Perhaps Carter finds a way to leave a message the future Hammond will recognize. He deciphers it and writes the note. (This is pure speculation.) Suffice it to say this note did get written, and SG1 propels itself forward into the future of this timeline. In the episode, they meet an aged Cassandra. However, there really is no reason for her to be there. Perhaps in this second timeline, she isn't. SG1 explores the base, running into security. At some point they convince the authorities they are who they claim to be. Perhaps they don't. Some or all of them make it back in time to a third timeline, (Carter at least does).

This timeline sets things up for a smooth transition into the fourth. It is arranged for Cassandra to be in the future to meet the SG1 team and send them back home. And Hammond's note is perhaps taken care of here as well. The fourth timeline is the one depicted at the beginning of this episode.

The fouth timeline team carries Hammond's note with them. When they reach 1969, a fifth timeline is created. The team, like the team from the second timeline, propel themselves forward in time to meet an aged Cassandra. She sends them back to a time shortly after they left, creating a sixth timeline. And the adventure continues.

Events have progressed steadily in the sixth timeline until the year 2010. SG1 made contact with an alien race that has made life on earth much better. However, this race is making humanity sterile. Carter discovers this, and reunites SG1 to prevent this from ever happening. They die in the process, but this does not matter since they restart the timeline. They successfully send the note back in time, and SG1 doesn't make contact with this planet (They do a little later, but with vastly different results.)

Thus, we are propelled into a seventh timeline.

Before I Sleep (Atlantis)
    In the seventh timeline the Atlantis expedition fails. Everyone dies except for Weir who is propelled back in time to when the Ancients still inhabited the city. This creates an eighth timeline, rebooting everything. The events portrayed in the Atlantis opening occur as depicted. However, when the timeline is rebooted, everything is rebooted. So there is a timeline wherein Weir was sent back to the ancients and SG1 disappeared. And one wherein they did not receive help from Hammond, etc. By the end of the episode, we are in timeline thirteen. Quite an unlucky timeline. We have to change it quick. Fortunately we have...

Moebius
    The time machine that was left in Atlantis in the seventh timeline, is taken to earth in timelines eight and beyond. And it is found by SG1, who use it to enter the past, thus creating timeline fourteen. In this timeline, Weir is resting peacefully in Atlantis, waiting for an expedition that will never come. SG1 is stuck back in time and lead a revolt. Ra captures and executes SG1 except for Daniel. Daniel leads a revolt, propelling Ra to leave earth, taking the Stargate with him. Fast-forward to 2005 and the events depicted in Moebius. Nerdy Daniel and Carter are in dead end jobs. Jack is retired. Teal'c is still first prime of Apophis.

Carter, Jack, and Teal'c head back in time to prevent an invasion of earth by Apophis's forces. This creates a fifteenth timeline. SG1 leads a rebellion. Ra leaves earth sans Stargate. Timeline thirteen Daniel and timeline fourteen SG1 live out the rest of their lives in this timeline. Jack and Carter are finally together and it only took a reality-shattering cataclysm to do it. Fast forward to 2005, and the events of the past eight years of SG1 have occurred more or less as we've seen them. Archaeologists find the tape and the ZPM, and SG1 has no need of going back in time.

Of course by the end of this episode, we have to repeat the process of timeline adjustments I mentioned in the Before I Sleep episode analysis. By the time this is all over, we're in timeline twenty.

Now timeline twenty is quite different from timeline thirteen. For one, in timeline twenty only one Jack O'Neill existed (excluding his teenage clone, of course ). In timeline twenty, three have lived and altered the past. Same for Carter and Teal'c. And we've got two Daniels. Call them temporal duplicates if you like.

So, what happened to our SG1? They've been gone since at least the fourth timeline. Hence they perished offscreen near the end of season two between the episodes Show and Tell and 1969.
    Last edited by koinekid; 26 March 2005, 09:43 AM. Reason: Clarity

It's so much to read and all I need to do is post this that was asked on the "Ask JMallozzi Thread"

Question: "How could you guys kill SG-1? They version we have at the end of Moebius isnt the same team we watched for 8 seasons."

JMallozzi: Have to disagree with you there. Yes, they are. Its like saying the SG-1 at the end of 2010 who received the note in the past were not the team you'd been watching for the past 5 seasons.
    Signature oversized: Click to view.

Comment

they are the same team, just different versions or copies of them thats all.

Comment

And a nicely detailed explaination of everything I've been too lazy to post.

Welcome to the forum!
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

See why I hate time travel?

Comment

Originally posted by Leah Jenner
            See why I hate time travel?
            yeah, it hurts my head

Comment

It's quite simple.
              1969: General Baldie knew he was going to have to write the note because he had met them at a younger age. Paradox? No...it's reality. Time Travel is an instant alteration to the timeline itself, thus if something is going to happen in the future in relation to timetravel it alters things in the past or future as it should be altered. This is what could be called a "Temporal Nexus Point", wherein there are multiple routes it will potentially take, it's a variable in the equation of reality itself, and thus the equation balances itself out, thus resulting in what we know will happen(General Baldie giving the note to Carter because he had met them in the past).

Comment

They are the same team. Unlike the "geeky/retired/still first prime to Apophis" team, they've lived out their lives in exactly the same way as the SG-1 we've been watching since season 1. Exactly the same, with the same experiences and the same events... up until the end of Moebius.

Now things have changed slightly because they have a ZPM - but not much when you think about it. It's affected them because at the end of Moebius they have a conversation they wouldn't have had if not for their "going back in time".

So, maybe that has something to do with the fish in Jack's pond. That one conversation and Jack taking the ZPM up to the lab could've caused he and Sam to be sitting there at a slightly different time, and therefore the fish that Jack never knew was present jumped at a time when it didn't "the first time round".

I think this episode was written in order to confused us fans! I hate time-travel stories. But I think the scene with the fish at the end is actually quite funny... meaning it isn't meant to be taken seriously. To quote Mr Jack O'Neill: let's not dwell... Although that would take all the fun out of it, I guess.

Comment

It doesn't really matter since if you're going to get into this whole alternate team thing, it's likely that we haven't seen the original SG universe since "Point of View."

Comment

Basically we don't know what will happen with time travel until some one does actually travel through time. So unless you have traveld through time or you know some one that has then i don't think you can make assumptions on what would happen. Thats the bottom line.

Comment

A question that's been bothering me; SAM:

When they reentered our time, did she just change from her meeky uber nerd persona? How does that work...she left as one person and came back as another?

Maybe I'm missing something easy here, but don't know what it is....

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                        When they reentered our time, did she just change from her meeky uber nerd persona? How does that work...she left as one person and came back as another?
                        That's just it. They didn't re-enter our time. They (presumably) destroyed the Puddle Jumper, hid the ZPM in the correct location, and lived the rest of their lives out in ancient Egypt. Flashback to present, and now we see that SG-1 never has to go back in the first place, so the timeline is preserved. But then there's this pesky little fish....
                        There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                          A question that's been bothering me; SAM:

What you missed is that
                          Spoiler:
                          the team did not return from the past. They stayed there both times. The second time by choice, Carter saying that they needed to destroy the time ship. The SG-1 team that was there was the one born in the twentith century under the original set of circumstances, ie gate found at Giza, et al. Had they gone back to the future in the time ship, with the timeline reset, there would have been two each of Jack, Daniel, Teal'c and Sam. Only with Daniel they would both have had the same experiences. Up to the first going back in time that is.
                          I hope I did the spoiler thing right, first try. Anyway, discussion on time travel is really not as hard as people think. As long as you are consistant in which theory you hold too, thats the rub.
                          Last edited by cmuty; 26 March 2005, 03:40 PM.

Comment

So... If Jack and Sam stayed on the past, and they hooked up back then... If they had kids, their decendents would be the current Sam and Jack's great-great-great-great-------------x100000-----great grandchildren who now live without knowing their great grandparents are living in the present!

Also, if the kids of Jack and Sam from the past mate with the locals, wouldn't that alter the race of the egyptians including some caucasian genes in them?

Oh we could go on forever! But I LOVE SG-1 no matter in which timeline!

Servatis a periculum. Servatis a maleficum.

Comment

The alternate SG1 does not have to stay in the past, they can go to any time period they want, as long as it's a time period after 2005. Plus they need to get Teal'c another symbiote or some tretonin so they have to move around.

Comment

Working...
                              X