This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(How) Do Wraith pro-create ?

I'm serious, I was making this joke on another thread and then I suddenly wondered....Do Wraith have kids ?
    How do they keep the species going ?
    I know they are semi-immortal (they can be killed), but....
    If they don't do 'The deed' then how did they reach large enough numbers to overwhelm the Ancients ?
    sigpic

SGU Continued....

no wriath dont have kids, beckett theorized that wraith could live forever if the cells were properly nourished, it is possible that there biological ancestors used asexual reproduction, but then they evolved with out the ability for sexual or asexual reproduction because they dont die of natural causes, in this case it would be a serious advantage for atlantis because they would be in somewhat of a similar situation to the tok'ra if they kill a wraith it dosnt comeback so thier numbers will decrease over time , without the ability to reproduce they are in a very bad situation, but it never mattered before because nothing was killing them, it is also posible they they are like bees and have queens like the goa'uld and only the queens reproduce

Comment

There was some degree of discussion about this in the Steve Appreciation Thread; some of it was funny.
      Well, since they have "Hive" ships maybe they have a "QueenBee" Wraith who procreates only when the hive is unhealthy, (read as: depleted in numbers), for whatever reason.
      Spoiler:
      After all, it is theorized that they derived from that bug that was on Shep

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

that could be a serious threat but i dont think i would happen that way its too similar to the goa'uld although there is an explanation why we havent seen one yet, this would be because they would be more higly gaurded, but its too similar to the goa'uld

Comment

Now i could just imagine "little Steves" running around all over the place...

Seriously, that's an interesting question, because if we simply just keep killing the Wraith, we're gonna exterminate them eventually. (That's if they don't reproduce).

But I'm thinking there may be a possible way for the Wraith to reproduce. We may learn more in upcoming seasons of Atlantis.

Comment

it is very possible that the wraith use some form of reproduction but dont reproduce unless it is necesary (if they are all dying fast)(like if there is a war or womething)

Comment

If the Wraith don't reproduce, I'd sure like to know how they kept their numbers so high while waging war on the Ancients.

The fact that there's such an ungodly amount of them should prove that they reproduce. Plus you can't have both male and female members of a species unless they get together every once in a while. And how else would they evolve if they didn't keep creating new generations?
              It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

they could have originaly evolved with the abiltity to reproduce but then because they didnt die of natural causes the ability was lost through evolution, and they kept thier numbers so high probably because there were already so many of them, the ancients lost almost all of thier battles because of the number of wraith already and the wraith lost almost no one

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                  they could have originaly evolved with the abiltity to reproduce but then because they didnt die of natural causes the ability was lost through evolution, and they kept thier numbers so high probably because there were already so many of them, the ancients lost almost all of thier battles because of the number of wraith already and the wraith lost almost no one
                  There's another interesting thought. But we have to assume that some Wraith were killed during some of those battles. Maybe not enough to put much of a dent in the overall population, though. You said it yourself, the Wraith may not reproduce unless absolutely necessary, and that does make sense. For the simple reason that Hive Ships, as big and advanced as they are, inevitably have finite resources for supporting the population. If the Wraith's numbers drop to a point where reproduction is necessary, then they can reproduce enough replenish the population, but also keep it in check with the available resources on the hive ships.

Comment

there are several possible theories but in the end i would assume that they do have some method of reproduction because if they didnt and we found out in some episode it would be pointless because all we would have to do is keep killing them and we would know that they would eventualy die out so it would be like playing a video game were you have to shoot monsters that move really fast but they keep coming back so the game dosnt end until you kill them but there is no time limit and they just keep coming back so at first it might be hard to kill them all fast but the game would be boring because you know that you can eventualy win (this game would also be very easy)

Comment

SPOILERS BEWARE THE GIFT SEASON ONE OF ATLANTIS TURN BACK NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT (TO LAZY TO PUT IN SPOILER TAGS)

another idea that has come to my attention just recently is that since the wraith evolved from bothe humans and some species of those buggy things than maybe the buggy things didnt need to reproduce but humans did so the wraith would probably reproduce like humans (sexual reproduction) if those buggy thing reproduced with some sort of queen system than the two ways of reproduction would be merged, having somesort of queen system using human sexual reproduction.

Comment

The wraith are a bit vampiric as is. Is it possible that in some way the act of draining a food source can create a wraith? Or perhaps the bug things, after draining a food source dry become what they ate? I would think it's something along the lines of a Anne Rice vampire where the wraith have some way of turning their food into their own kind.
                        ~Teddy
                        "When I started school it was considered a miracle for an ass to talk, now I'm not so sure." ~Anonymous

"I do not agree with what you say, but I defend to my death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

"Like Broadway, the novel, and God, feminism has been declared dead many times" ~Katha Pollit

"I'm a feminist and I don't care who knows it." ~Me

Comment

it dosnt seem like it because all of the corpses that they find that have been life-sucked are still human corpses

Comment

Working...
                          X