Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ancient knowledge/ Technology : Spoilers (end of season 8)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient knowledge/ Technology : Spoilers (end of season 8)

Ok, so now we have Daniel who apparently has all the memory of the ancients (Threads), although that wasn't shown in Moebius (shouldn't he have known that going into the past would be a bad idea, or did he know that it would all work out?). Which means that the season 9 writers can really decide weather they want Daniel to have the knowledge of the ancients or if they want him to be able to *pull* various thoughts out of his head at great need. I think the latter would be best for the show to keep the "underdog" feel. Otherwise Daniel would become Samantha as he'd know all the knowledge of the ancients, which is something not even carter can top.

As our new big baddies are actually bad ascended ancients won't we need some knowledge of the ancients? Because assumedly these Oree have all the knowledge of the ancients and as such they could create a single super-weapon that would wipe out all humans. As they would know how the Ancient life force technology works (aka Reckoning pt. 2) And not even the iris would stop the beam.

With the knowledge of the ancients coming through Daniel, more coming with the asgard might our technological insuperiority be lessened to some degree? For thats where we've always been behind other races. Ie. Tollan, Goa'uld, ect.

WHA?

1. Daniel does not have memory of the ancients. Replicarter was speeding through it while Daniel was forced to try to comprehend, but could not. Therefore, he did not get much knowledge at all. Also, his memory of the Ancients was erased when he descended.

2. So, therefore, Daniel does not have any knowledge. period.

3. No. The baddies (The Orii) are NOT bad ascended ancients. First of all, they are suppose to seem like something that might have ascended and just turned out wrong. They originate from another galaxy apparently.

4. No. Who says they have all of the knowledge of the ancients? Please stop assuming things.

5. Once again. Stop assuming. But I'll forgive you because you're new.

6. No.

Comment

But we have to assume sometime.

Comment

Calicto no need to attack other people on the thread when you are assuming to and obviously wrong. Daniels memory was not completely erased the first time and there is no reason to assume it was erased this time after all he knew it wasnt him who took out Anubis. Another strong argument for him still having the knowledge is that we firgure out through Daniel about the new asscended bad guys and that seems to me has to have some memory.

Comment

Originally posted by jhottness
          Calicto no need to attack other people on the thread when you are assuming to and obviously wrong. Daniels memory was not completely erased the first time and there is no reason to assume it was erased this time after all he knew it wasnt him who took out Anubis. Another strong argument for him still having the knowledge is that we firgure out through Daniel about the new asscended bad guys and that seems to me has to have some memory.
          AMEN!

Comment

1. Well said. I forgot assumptions are the basis of my life. Amen to that. Now to other stuff.

Originally posted by jhottness
            2. *cough* I am not obviously incorrect. Daniel's memory was not COMPLETELY erased but was it efficiently erased. It was erased to the point to which Replicarter had to struggle to find what she wanted to.

3. However, as Oma stated in [Threads]. When Daniel leaves the diner, he wont remember anything of it, so all he could do is sit and know that Earth is doomed and cant do anything about it OR ascend, descend and then not remember what he had to say.

4. Ever heard of intuition? No? Well this one is a tricky one to explain. However, he didnt say "OMA got Anubis". He just said "I didnt do it.". He probably intuited that he didnt get Anubis. I mean, he did chose to descend and wasnt forced into decencsion. Therefore, the Others would have allowed him with all of the knowledge prior to his arrival in the diner. Therefore, he realized that he didnt do anything and that the last thing he remembered was being on Replicarter's ship.

5. It may seem to you, but OBVIOUSLY, you havent read the complete spoilers. The spoilers state and suggest that Daniel goes into some type of coma or such and it is there in which he has these visions of the Orii. Not some Ancient knowledge.

I'm not attacking. I'm critiquing profusely.

pssht. obvious...psshht.. oh well.

Comment

you make a good point about what oma said but it wasnt her who let him do that. I think that the rest of the Ancients probably just placed him there with out letting him ascend. Because he made oma really realize her mistake and the Ancients where pleased with what happened.

Comment

Actually guys your missing some large chunks of the Daniel Yo-Yo Ascention Story.

Spoiler:

When Daniel attempted to kill anubis on our plane of existences it was Oma who stoped him the "Others" never stepped in but they would have. Daniel wasnt punished and sent back to our plane he choose to.....we find this out in the diner in their discussion when oma reminds daniel it was at his request he be sent back, knowledgleless, and naked....well she says the naked part was her idea......We also find out that she didnt erase his memories.....she says

JACKSON: You mean they wouldn't have erased my memory and left me naked on a planet?

OMA: That was your choice. (Daniel raises his eyebrows at her. She smiles.) OK, maybe not the naked part. But I didn't totally erase your memory, even though I was supposed to.

Now if she even though she erased chuncks....there was obviously a large amount left for replicarter to try to delve through enough so that she found out about Tckara.

Now this isnt the important part....the important parts are that he obviously remembers enough about the diner to say when he returns that it was not him who stopped the count down. This could be argued that he retains his memories at least those he unlocked prior to and while he was in the diner.

Now here is my own personal spin on this. I think that while
                Spoiler:
                replicarter was in his head spinning through the knowledge we saw the vast part of knowledge that is left in his subconcious
                I think that this can resurface at anytime but it wont neccisarily be his direct choosing unless the writers give him some cool new meditation technique to delve into it himself.

I see him as having flashbacks of replicarter going through his head when hes dreaming. When the unconscience mind is in control and remembering bits and pieces when he wakes up similiar to what Carter did earlier in seasons with the memories of Jolinar.

Comment

From his conversation with replicarter the knowledge is buried in his subconcious. So it is there. How much he actively remebers and understand is something altogether different. However he did appear to have some knowledge of what happened in the diner. The knowledge Replicarter uncovered she did so before he went to the diner so even if the other erased everything from the diner the stuff with Replicarter wouldn't be effected. Also he never actually ascended a second time. The diner was just a pit stop on the way. What is intersting is that the others after Daniel got Oma to take responsibility for Anubis and actually do something about, which seems to be what they wanted all along, they sent Daniel back alive. No ascension but no death either. Maybe they saw some hope for Daniel after all.
                  Teal'c "I killed you"
                  Daniel "Why?"
                  Teal'c "You were a Go'uld spy"
                  Daniel "a good reason"

Comment

Maybe the others being the somewhat benevolent beings didn't believe in totoally wiping Daniels memory because that would essentially destroy who Daniel is.

Another theory is that maybe the others had no choice in burying his memory because it would have driven him insane in his corporeal form. And thus had no choice since they would be dooming daniel to death after un-ascending him
                    Condemnant quod non intellegunt.

Comment

Personally I sorta thought that the Ancients were impressed by Daniel after he was able to get Oma to do what they never could, which was own up to her mistakes and take responsibility for her actions.

SPOILERS (Highlight below to read):

Oma had told Daniel in the diner that even though she was punished by The Others she felt that her punishment wouldn't change anything or make any difference. So she continued to ascend people, like Daniel, because she felt that she could never make up for what she did. However as Daniel pointed out, that wasn't the case. It wasn't so much making up for what she did but to own up to it. Just to get her to see what she did was wrong and Others be damned she had to take responsibility for her actions and she did. If you watch the episode The Others look kinda awstruck at what happened. Maybe they saw in Daniel, what Oma saw in Daniel. I mean, Daniel did say that Oma saw the potential in him but never stated exactly what that was. And if you watch Threads, it seems that Anubis see that as well. As he said to Baal, he had a 'grand design' and it begs the question what role did Daniel play in it. It is possible The Others saved Earth and returned Daniel because they understood his purpose and it wouldn't surprise me if he does retain subconciously the knowledge of the Ancients because that would tie in with the theme of the next season.

As far as Daniel 'not understanding' the Ancient knowledge that's not true. Replicarter viewed the knowledge as just information to be downloaded. However as Daniel pointed out, just having the information doesn't mean you get it. To truly understand the Ancient knowledge, you have to possess it and comprehend it at the same time to truly get the desired effect, so to speak.

Daniel stated that it was too vast for any one person to comprehend it all. That didn't mean he didn't understand some it. He sure understood it enough to use it against Replicarter. He said as much. It was because of the Ancient knowledge that he was able to reach into Replicarters mind and shut them down to begin with.

This didn't mean that it was easy for him either. He seemed to really be struggling to maintain control. If he were to retain some kind of Ancient memories, it would more than likely affect him negatively in some way. And I wouldn't be surprised if his ability to contact the Orii in the first place is the adverse effect of the Ancient knowledge.

Comment

I think Daniel only remembers what went on pre-diner i.e. until he "died" on replicarter's ship. He would have been abel to guess at what had gone on by the fact he ended up in Jack's office naked, he would have realised that he had done another ascension/descension dealio.

Comment

Working...
                        X