This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did Don Davis leave SG-1?

I've already seen him on The West Wing and another movie.

Hi simply felt it was time to move on and try other things. I’ve heard he has or will appear in The West Wing in U.S I’m not sure if the episode has aired yet.
    "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by Wass
      Hi simply felt it was time to move on and try other things. I’ve heard he has or will appear in The West Wing in U.S I’m not sure if the episode has aired yet.
      I could have sword thats what Tokimasa just said. lol
      Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
      McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

I spotted him in a SciFi movie, Atomic Train. He played a General in that too. He hasn't expanded his horizons too, far as of yet.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

I saw him in another movie recently, but I think it was pre-SG1. So he's still acting, but trying other roles?

Comment

Don stated at the time that he felt the time had come for him to do the things he wanted to do in life, other projects, as he was getting on in years and didn't have much time left to fit everything in. Paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it. Time grows short.

I don't think he ever intended to give up acting entirely - just cut down on the time it took out of his life as a whole, leaving him time to do other family and personal projects that had been on his list to do for some years.

I think the movie and guest spots on other shows are just him keeping his hand in, doing bits of acting as he feels he wants to fit them into his schedule, rather than being tied down to a recurring role on a series, which obviously takes more time.

He has done guest spots too for SG1 and Atlantis since leaving the show and this fits in with wanting to cut back on acting, but not leave it entirely.

Albion
            Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I imagine that even if he wasn't in each episode a lot, being a regular on SG1 did mean he didn't have the opportunity to do other things. His schedule would be pretty fixed.

Comment

I also seem to recall there being some health concerns which may have contributed to Don deciding it was time to move on. Plus, ya know, he has a new wife to look after.

I wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

Comment

He was a great character.......but I see RDA is on the same track. I wish them both best wishes.
                  Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Comment

7-8 years is a lot of time out of someone's life, especially with the hours involved in making a series like Stargate.

Star Trek Reborn

Comment

yea, 7+ years is a long time. that's why i was suprised that we even have most of the original cast. think about ER which has lasted 11 seasons. i think they have only one of the original cast members.
                      Save us from danger, save us from evil
                      Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

Don spoke about it at Burbank. He was ready, and the storyline changing. They had planned to end in S7, hence Dr Frazer's death. Then S8 occured, but they had already ended contracts. Don also wanted to spend some more time in US and continue to work on this painting, which he planned to have a show of in 2005/6.
                        The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Comment

I'm just on season 6, but I'd like to know.. The only regulars left are Sam, Teal'c and the chevron guy?

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                          The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Originally posted by ./freelancer
                            I'm just on season 6, but I'd like to know.. The only regulars left are Sam, Teal'c and the chevron guy?
                            And Siler's been there pretty much from season 1.

Comment

Go Siler And Walter!
                              sigpic
                              Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Working...
                              X