This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those poor postless threads

Isn't it just horrible when you make a thread and when you come back three days later, noone has posted in it. But, there have been like 200 views. It's such a terrible feeling.

I think that a lot of people are being scared of from making threads cos they're scared that they won't get any posts. I know that once I made a thread and I got no posts whatsoever and now I'm always v. skeptical when I'm making one. So, we're missing out on a lot of good threads because people are not sure if they will be well received.

I reckon we should stop this. I think that whenever you go into a thread, unless it is about something that you have absolutely no idea about or its pretty obvious that its not a thread that would appreciate it, you should post anyway. It could be something as small as 'Good Thread' but just post. Just to raise their self-esteem. And it would raise your post count for minimal work.

so, what do you think? Good idea or terrible one? Yeah, let's get some more threads or no let's not clutter the forum. It's your choice.

Oh, by the way, I know that this isn't exactly gonna get a lot of posts. Like, it isn't the type of thread that you can respond to. But, you may as well start practising your pointless post skills now, so that this thread can stick around for as long as possible and this 'little' message can get around better.

If you don't I'll have a tantrum I mean it I will
    Godspeed, Don.

I was tempted not reply to this thread just for the irony of it.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

It IS kinda depressing, isn't it? Makes you feel like your posts aren't good enough. I've posted a few fic announcements both here and elsewhere and I can tell people are reading the posts, but no one ever replies and I have no way of telling if they're reading the fics themselves. That's a bit of a blow to the ego, let me tell ya.

Of course, that being said, I've also seen a few starter posts where I wonder why people bothered to post it in the first place... "What does that have to do with the price of beans in Burma?" Oh well.

I also feel kinda sorry for posts that were popular for a while and then gradually slip towards the back of the queue. They had their moment of glory, and then it passed like a bat in the night...

Comment

I'm in total sympathy here Thoth .

Shadow pretty much expresses my views too on the subject.It would be a nice bit of courtesy,if readers actually put a comment!

One thought to add though: Better if Posters who actually reply,don't just do it to be deliberately offensive .

I think it would really jar me off, if all I read on a Thread I'd started, was a string of "What the H### were ya thinking?? " negativity .

Better Posters just abstained from replying,than to use any chance to attack.

Most Members here wouldn't stoop to that kind of stuff,but still.........
        Last edited by Bagpuss; 20 March 2005, 03:22 AM. Reason: Eliminating the "!".Must have been a high sugar day...
        The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
          It IS kinda depressing, isn't it? Makes you feel like your posts aren't good enough. I've posted a few fic announcements both here and elsewhere and I can tell people are reading the posts, but no one ever replies and I have no way of telling if they're reading the fics themselves. That's a bit of a blow to the ego, let me tell ya.
          I read them ! I love your fics as I prefer the less "obvious" kind of Fan Fics.

I Bookmarked your Links and keep dipping in .

Having said that, I really should have sent you some feedback through your Website,instead of just visiting,and just mentioning the Luke stuff here.

I did send some feedback through the Old Delphi Forum Threads,but I haven't really gone into any relevant Threads here to "Voice" my Fan-fic prefs yet.
          (Aside from Luke,obviously. )

Sorry,Shadow .
          Last edited by Bagpuss; 20 March 2005, 03:18 AM. Reason: removal of "!" overload......

Comment

You know every thread has posts in it, but waht you are refering it is no replies.
            sigpic
            Banner By JME2

Comment

LOL!! Trust you to spot that,CW.Ya observant person!

Hopefully no-one else will be so Picky! (Friendly !!)

Comment

Good post.
                "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

"Pity" posts,perhaps?
                  nugglebugget

greetings from the "Bluegrass State"where the grass is actually green,just like everywhere else

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                    I was tempted not reply to this thread just for the irony of it.
                    But then how would anyone get the joke?
                    Oh honey. You say potato, I say vodka!

http://neuralgianostalgia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                      Yeah, I have that trouble sometimes. Not on this thread but on another one that is actually just a group of my friends !!!??? What's worse though is when you start a Yahoo group that is ok for a while but then tails off after a few posts and then it goes competely silent.
                      Oh honey. You say potato, I say vodka!

http://neuralgianostalgia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well this idea failed miserably!!!

I only got 10 replies in a thread asking people specifically to reply, even if they ahev noothing to say. Thanks, tho, to those of you who did reply. Nice guys, or what?
                        Godspeed, Don.

Comment

Sympathy posts?

Sometimes it takes me awhile to get to new posts. I don't normally navigate by going to the forums directly, but through subscribed threads and new posts. I'm trying to change, though. I promise! Then again, I keep getting that "What the?!" feeling on a lot of new posts, but that's entirely subjective.
                          Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                          O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                          - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                          - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                          once done, cannot be undone...
                          brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

If I find a post that's wellwritten I usually type something, even If i have no idea that to write. Just to get some talking going. It's my way of showing respect.

Comment

so if gateworld could fix this damn problem with not caching old posts I would know which posts i've read/commented in!

Comment

Working...
                              X