Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post SGA - Cinescape - Reviews "The Siege - Part One"

From Cinescape:

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...&sub_id=270402

or

http://tinyurl.com/6lcjd

(Please follow one of the links for the complete review.)

STARGATE ATLANTIS: The Siege
    GRADE: D-
    Reviewed Format: TV Show
    Network: Sci-Fi Channel
    Cast: Joe Flannigan, Torri Higginson, Rainbow Sun Francks, Rachel Lutrell, and David Hewlett
    Creator: Brad Wright & Robert C. Cooper
    Writers: Martin Gero
    Director: Martin Wood

Television Review
    STARGATE ATLANTIS: The Siege
    Melodrama, technobabble, and enough cliches to fill a Wraith hiveship.

Dateline: Saturday, March 19, 2005

By: JASON DAVIS - Columnist

Continuing the threads from the preceding episodes, the Atlantis team is preparing for an invasion force of three Wraith hive ships. While a planet is sought for evacuation, Dr. McKay attempts to reactivate an ancient defense station near the Wraith attack route while Weir prepares to destroy the city to prevent it from falling into enemy hands. On the whole, these stories seem compelling enough to fill an episode with edge-of-the-seat excitement. Unfortunately, the plots are presented with predictable twists, comically overwrought performances, and enough technobabble to confuse the writing staff of a recent STAR TREK series.

**snippity doo-dah**

In the wake of a well-written bottle episode like "Letters from Pegasus", it's disappointing to see part one of a season finale squander a carefully built dam of tension in what amounts to a collection of dramatic cliches. This episode is the antithesis to STARGATE SG-1's daring take on the alternate-reality concept and airing after that spectacular episode does this one no favors. With a little luck, part two of "The Siege" will recover the promise of earlier installments in time for a grand finale, but it's going to take some work to recover from this fumble.

© 2001-2005 Mania Entertainment LLC

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Fans of Joe Flanigan
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/fansofjoeflanigan/

Default Re: SGA - Cinescape - Reviews "The Siege - Part One"

Fumble? I found that "The Siege (Part 1)" was a really good episode! Also not very predictable... Except for any part with Sergent Bates.

And yes, Part 2 will make up for ANY fault they saw in Part 1.

Long live Atlantis!

In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Quote Originally Posted by morjana
    In the wake of a well-written bottle episode like "Letters from Pegasus", it's disappointing to see part one of a season finale squander a carefully built dam of tension in what amounts to a collection of dramatic cliches. This episode is the antithesis to STARGATE SG-1's daring take on the alternate-reality concept and airing after that spectacular episode does this one no favors. With a little luck, part two of "The Siege" will recover the promise of earlier installments in time for a grand finale, but it's going to take some work to recover from this fumble.
    Well I obviously enjoyed this episode more than the reviewer - I would have given it a B+ or A-. It certainly followed a certain formula in parts of the show but I thought it was executed well and there were enough twists to result in a very entertaining hour of scifi television. It certainly left me anxious to see Part II.

Of course they compare it to "Stargate SG-1's daring take on the alternate-reality concept" and call that a "spectacular episode". So I immediately went looking for the review for Moebius I and can't find one. Wonder if it will be posted later? Or did I miss it?

It seems strange they wouldn't review Moebius I since the writer obviously watched it and even mentions the episode in his Atlantis review.
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...d_smallest.jpgLife is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Anyone who says that SG-A's finale (part one) was a 'fumble', while at the same time calls SG-1's finale (part one) 'spectacular', obviously has no taste whatsoever.

I think he got his words the wrong way round.

Queen Kat
    (Moderator)
    2nd star to the right & straight on 'til morning

*scratches head*

Did the reviewer watch the same episode I watched?

I thought this was an excellent episode. Not a "fumble" at all.

Second Lieutenant

It was alright, the review was a bit harsh. Part 2 is way better.

Moebius on the other hand is ONE HELLUVA fumble.

Quote Originally Posted by Pknuts
    It was alright, the review was a bit harsh. Part 2 is way better.

Moebius on the other hand is ONE HELLUVA fumble.
    I agree part two was a lot better then part 1 but I still think it was put together very well.

I like cliches. I think a lot of other people do, too... or else the Goa'uld would not be popular at all. =)

I loved this ep! BOOO! Oh well!

Way better then Mobius.
    "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday
    http://www.cathairstudios.com/farsca...banner_one.jpg

I'd give this episode a B+

I'd give Siege pt. 2 the D-, if ever. (WAY too many cliches to my taste. There IS a limit, and the writers have tested mine)

Heh, I love living in Canada, I've seen the end of Season 1 of SGA already, but I'm still looking forward to the end of Season 8 of SG-1.

It has been noticing (or watching) that when the critics downgrade a movie or show, the more people will watch it. And usually it is more popular. So, maybe this is a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by greytop
    It has been noticing (or watching) that when the critics downgrade a movie or show, the more people will watch it. And usually it is more popular. So, maybe this is a good sign.
    Yeah, you have a point.

Although, if they slam Siege Pt. 2 (just as I did) then there's a problem here. I just hope Siege Pt. 3 is going to be good.

I'm not surprised at their review...they are typical critics...critics never know what's good anyway. That's why most people don't go by their reviews.

I loved the episode.
    It feels good to be alive.
    Cause i've been dead for so long.

It seemed to me that the reviewer was spot on. As a follower of the Stargate franchise from the beginning, I feel that both SG-1 and Atlantis suffered critical "fumbles" in their respective season finales.

I think that Moebius would have been better put in slots 16 and 17 of the season, and allowed the show to go out with Threads.

In all fairness, Moebius was much more original than The Siege. But, it was not as entertaining. I think that the comparison makes a good example of the difference between the shows. I believe that SG-1 will continue to be a test ground for new ideas, and continue to poke fun at the genre. Whereas Atlantis will continue to be a conglomeration of SciFi cliches. Not that I am saying that there is anything wrong with that. They are just different methodologies.

I quite liked this episode as well. Oh well, to each their own, I'll enjoy it and he can go eat his crow sandwich.

First Lieutenant not so ancient's Avatar

Zat Cinescape: KREE!

Against my better judgment, I went to Cinescape to read their review of Atlantis' season finale, The Siege Part 1. They totally panned the episode, and one can expect that they will do the same for tonight's episode. They get grudges against certain series. Atlantis looks like their newest victim.

I admit, I had no great opinion of Cinescape going into this. I had some experience with a sometime hack writer for Cinescape back in The X-Files fandom. I can't find words bad enough for that guy. He deliberately went about poisoning TXF's fandom with his hate. You really can't imagine unless you were there. But surely the whole magazine/website couldn't be that bad? It couldn't actually be worse, could it?

Wrong. Cinescape has reached a new low. The thing that's so disgusting about this review is that it's so unintelligent. Two examples of this stupidity:

(1) The writer complains that the writing is incomprehensible technobabble. Was anyone confused about
    Spoiler:
    the work that Rodney and Grodin were doing on the satellite?
    It mentioned 'circuits' and 'buffers' - if the writer cannot understand that, he must be using candles and a manual typewriter. Duh!

(2) The writer complains that the episode has 'cliches', is 'ponderous', and 'predictable'. First, I think it's unfair to judge only 1 half of a 2 part episode. You have to view it as a whole. Second, this episode ties to many other themes - the Teyla arc growing from stranger to team member, the responsibility Weir feels to the legacy of the Ancients' wisdom, the leadership of Sheppard. Each of these situations builds Atlantis' problems in its way. This is how stories are built, over a season, and in a 2 part season finale. It's be inappropriate if wildly new elements were introduced at this point. The audience looks to the elements of the past episodes to play a part in what we know is coming. If the reviewer can't understand that, he needs to be reviewing Desperate Housewives or something.

I have long suspected that Cinescape writers take money to pan things. I've seen unjustified flaming of shows happen way too much, both to shows I like and shows I have no vested interest in whatsoever. Their journalistic integrity is right up there with The National Enquirer and "Jeff Gannon."

Cinescape gets a 5 Douchebag rating from me. Hint to Cinescape: more is not better in this case.

Default Re: Cinescape: KREE!

Good call on the review... I had been thinking the same thing as I was reading it. Also, I got the feeling from the review that something happened during the show that made the reviewer upset, like maybe someone lost his favorite character or something along those lines.. that is just an inference on my part though

OMFG that was funny if that guy needs some candles we should start a collection for him, what a dumb ass. SG1, and SGA episodes build upon past episodes you cant review part of a two parter and not take into account past episodes, what a dumb ass...

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew D
    Good call on the review... I had been thinking the same thing as I was reading it. Also, I got the feeling from the review that something happened during the show that made the reviewer upset, like maybe someone lost his favorite character or something along those lines.. that is just an inference on my part though
    Maybe he was trying to get taylas' # and she told him to piss off?

There is already a thread on this subject here SGA - Cinescape - Reviews "The Siege - Part One" where a lot of people discussion about it I was surprised by how negative it was.