This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HUGE Atlantis flaw?

Okay, before you say, "Three posts in as many hours? Who the heck does this guy think he is anyway?!" let me say I won't post anymore threads for a while; but this one is begging to be posted.

Now, I was just over talking at another thread, when I was compelled to do a quick Google search on "Pegasus galaxy". Well, that pointed me back at the entry of the 'omnipedia' up on the page bar.

Here is what it says about the Pegasus galaxy: Galaxy relatively near Earth's home galaxy, the Milky Way.

Okay, now here is what it says about our old friends, the Asgard: They have successfully developed a multitude of advanced technologies that dwarf those of the Goa'uld, including faster-than-light travel that can launch an Asgard vessel from one galaxy to another in minutes.

So, there is the HUGE flaw. The Atlantis team couldn't possibly be stranded because all O'Neill would have to do is contact Thor and tell him to 1- check up on the Atlantis team from time to time, or 2- pick them up and bring them home.

I mean, since the Asgard basically owe Earth their galaxy, I am sure they would be like, "Sure, no problem."

Okay, so, yeah, "It's just a show". But, hey, nitpicking what we love just makes us more human, right?
    They figured he was a lazy, time-wasting slacker. They were right.

I guess that could be a potential flaw... but they have been busy with the replicators and rebuilding their civlisation and solving their breeding problems. Full plate.

Spoiler/speculation for S2 Atlantis:
    Spoiler:
    There's been talk of the Asgards showing up in Atlantis

Comment

Pegasus galaxy is actually one of the furthest out in the near cluster of galaxies, the ones that group themselves in striking distance of our own, astronomically speaking. Don't quote me on this because I'm going from memory here but I think it's an irregular galaxy about 5.3 million light years away and about 8 thousand??? light years in diameter.

So yes I guess the Asgard might be able to get there in relatively little time but we're not talking 'on the doorstep' exactly. Not to mention the fact that by trying to prove ourselves worthy of being the fifth race we probably don't want to go running to the Asgard everytime we hit a minor hitch like being out of communication with a 'colony' of ours. Especially knowing that the Atlantis team might need time to find a power source etc.

It's a good point though. Exactly how fast are the Asgard ships, and how does that compare with the Prometheus and Daedulus.

Some information re communication/travel is mentioned in SPOILERS FOLLOW FOR THE LATTER PART OF ATLANTIS SEASON 1.
      Spoiler:
      The Seige part 2
      When it's stated that with the Zed Pee Em boosting her engines the Daedulus will need only 4 days to make it to Atlantis. Given that the ZPM is a formidable power source and as I'm not sure if the Asgard ships operate on anything that powerful (what DOES power an Asgard ship?), then maybe it IS down to how far away the galaxies are. Maybe the Asgar can hop between the relatively close galaxies (a few thousand light years) in the time span you mention but maybe they too would need a few days to a week or so to make it all the way out to Pegasus?
      McKay, "I'm not sure I can fix this."
      Grodin, "You can fix anything."
      McKay, "Who told you that?"
      Grodin, "You did. Several times."

Comment

Hey Dude
        Well according to Col. Carter in "Reckoning" Thor is bodiless at the moment. So that obviously present a unique problem, along with the facts that Blue Banrigh stated.

Shay

Comment

Thor's ship (not sure what the name, the DJ got destroyed right?) could probably reach Atlantis pretty quick. They obviously have a source of energy that rivals that of the ZPM if Thor can dial Earth from Ida, so I'm guessing under four days, less if they gave us less than state of the art engines.

Isn't neutronium to the Asgard what naquadah is to the Goa'uld? I've always assumed that's what powers their ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassiopeia
            Not to mention the fact that by trying to prove ourselves worthy of being the fifth race we probably don't want to go running to the Asgard everytime we hit a minor hitch like being out of communication with a 'colony' of ours.
            Why not? They've come running to us often enough.

Comment

Originally posted by yasureubetcha
              Why not? They've come running to us often enough.
              Yep but emphasis on 'minor' hitch. SGC only know there's a real problem in
              Spoiler:
              LFP
              , until then it's a case of 'well, they're still out of contact but hey, it's only been a few months and it's a big galaxy, let's give em a bit more time to make contact'. And of course SGC had already sent a ship off once already to try and make routine contact. Guess they figured no real urgency.
              McKay, "I'm not sure I can fix this."
              Grodin, "You can fix anything."
              McKay, "Who told you that?"
              Grodin, "You did. Several times."

Comment

But you have to put in the fact that during the time spent between trying to contact Atlantis the SGC is dealing with Baal/Anubis and the Replicators. So they have their hands full as it is with those 3.

My Deviantart|Seeing is Beleivging|Carpe Noctem|Atlantean Wars

Comment

Whether it's a flaw or not, I'm willing to let it slide so SG-1 and SGA could remain relatively seperate. Tau'ri have they're hands full in their home galaxy at the moment, once they get the MW under control, then they could worry about Pegasus.
                  Spoiler:
                  Life isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Comment

The writers want crossovers but want to try and keep the shows separate - if the asgard could get to Pegasus quickly then they could not do this because once they have gone to Pegasus they can go whenever they want
                    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                    love Torri

Comment

From what I understand from the earlier season episodes when oniell builds the replcator energy beam gun. The asguard are reduced to only a shadow of what they once were as far as sheer numbers and resources. The elements needed for their technology is sparce and they were jus tbegining to rebuild their own civilization - they have very few ships left. My guess would be it would take a year or so to build some of those asguard motherships. What few ships they have are likely scouring their galaxy looking for resources and ensuring they are indeed safe from replicators.

Also remember that while the asguard do associate with us its really only Thor that we are in contact with directly through the past. While thor may be a strong proponent to ensure the asguard help us then and again I doubt he has the power to order the counsel to help us. And as the councel is alot less attached to the humans - im sure they would find their present situation much more diresome and in need of help.

With all that I doubt the asguard would seriosuly consider a search and rescue mission in a foriegn galaxy priority when they have not been missing that long relatively. They knew going in it was likely a one way trip - until recently we were still looking for means to defend our home galaxy. Which would explain why we havent been focusing in on it either.

Comment

Originally posted by Croatoan
                        From what I understand from the earlier season episodes when oniell builds the replcator energy beam gun. The asguard are reduced to only a shadow of what they once were as far as sheer numbers and resources. The elements needed for their technology is sparce and they were jus tbegining to rebuild their own civilization - they have very few ships left. My guess would be it would take a year or so to build some of those asguard motherships. What few ships they have are likely scouring their galaxy looking for resources and ensuring they are indeed safe from replicators.

Also remember that while the asguard do associate with us its really only Thor that we are in contact with directly through the past. While thor may be a strong proponent to ensure the asguard help us then and again I doubt he has the power to order the counsel to help us. And as the councel is alot less attached to the humans - im sure they would find their present situation much more diresome and in need of help.

With all that I doubt the asguard would seriosuly consider a search and rescue mission in a foriegn galaxy priority when they have not been missing that long relatively. They knew going in it was likely a one way trip - until recently we were still looking for means to defend our home galaxy. Which would explain why we havent been focusing in on it either.

Im my opinion the asgard just have to recycle the replicator blocks so to speak to get the raw materials that the replicators have consumed plus The planets that the replicators took over and used up should still have all the raw materials and such that they consumed there either in the form of buildings they constructed or in the remains of the blocks that the replicators were made of so I don’t think the asgard would have a problem with getting the raw materials it is just going to take them a good amt of time to rebuild their civilization and space fleet to where it once was

Comment

New Order made it seem like they only have that one planet left in what was once, I suppose, a big empire. And like Croatoan said, the other Asgard seem less than interested in what we have to say, and Thor's between bodies AGAIN, heh. So they're probably not in the mood to run errands for us. Besides, having the Asgard fix everything would get boring.

Comment

But if the Asgard go to the Alantis team they can't really help. I mean theres the Wraith, they Beat the ancients one of the greatest race,no the Greatest race to live. Now the ancients who had a good foothold in the galaxy still lost the war because they were out numbered. Well if the asgard were to come they will have no foothold in the galaxy plus they are way outnumbered. Your talking about a huge Fleet would need to leave are galaxy every day to win the war because of the distance.

Comment

Wraith feeds up an Asgard... "Yum... processed snack food."

You wouldn't want to see that happen to Thor, so it's a good thing they stayed out of the Pegasus Galaxy.

Comment

Working...
                              X