This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson?

I've just recently started watching SG-1 and it rocks. I'm pretty much stuck in the Limbo Zone of having to watch the re-runs, never quite being able to tell if this episode occured before the last one, or after it- and just who is that guy anyway?

I'm a little curious about something that is really pretty irrelevant, but I figured I'd go ahead and make it relevant anyway.

Now, as far as I can figure from the way I'm putting this together is that the show began with the credits like so:

Richard Dean Anderson
    Stargate
    Michael Shanks
    Amanda Tapping
    Christopher Judge

Then, in season 6, Daniel is, of course, gone for the most part. First question: Was Michael written out of the season on purpose? I mean, was that planned, or was there some sort of jazz off scene that got him ascended on-screen? I mean, I really can't imagine some writers saying, "Hey, let's write out the cool character!" "Great idea! We'll take the cool character out of the show." "Good thinking." (Not to take anything away from the other characters; which are also obviously cool).

Anyway. So, after being replaced by What's-His-Name for a season, Michael is now back on-screen full time- but wait! Something has happened with the credits:

Richard Dean Anderson
    Stargate
    Amanda Tapping
    Christopher Judge
    Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson

Now Michael has gone from plain, old "Michael Shanks" to "Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson".

So, what happened? Anyone? Am I missing something?

Just in case you're reading this and thinking, "Man, this guy needs to chill out on the interwoven complexities of his own fevered imagination", then check this out:

Jack O'Neill...
    Daniel Jackson...
    Jack's son...
    Hmm...
    They figured he was a lazy, time-wasting slacker. They were right.

ok, there's already been threads on this a couple times...

but as far as i know, it's a "contract/money/getting him back after he left" issue where he gets more money if it says that or something...

but there is a reason for it... i just don't remember the exact one right now...

Comment

Oh yeah, you're right. It says down at the bottom "Similar threads" and has a couple. It would've been too much work looking for similar threads, anyway. So I guess now there's a couple +1.

There's really no talk about the "new and improved" credit title. I guess he must've argued for higher billing.

There's gotta be some crazed fan who knows every trivial detail of the show. I figured he'd be hanging around this place. Maybe he's napping.
      They figured he was a lazy, time-wasting slacker. They were right.

Comment

@ The Dude I was wondering about that, too. I've already read a thred about the Daniel's-gone-in-season-6-thing, but I've forgotten where. And Emily said it already. Maybe I'll find it somewhere and can link it to this thread.
        Or you could, if you find the answers to your question.

By the way: Daniel was replaced by Jonas Quinn.

It's not easy to find the threads you look for. Maybe I should ask one of the moderators if they'd like to open a "where is the XXX-thread"-thread...
        Why be difficult?
        Put some effort in and be impossible!

Comment

i think i heard from somewhere that michael shanks was not happy with the direction his character was going in season 4 and 5 as he thought that they were spending more episodes on our own planet than offworld (which i agree with)
          i just love to give and recieve GREENS

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude
            Oh yeah, you're right. It says down at the bottom "Similar threads" and has a couple. It would've been too much work looking for similar threads, anyway. So I guess now there's a couple +1.

There's really no talk about the "new and improved" credit title. I guess he must've argued for higher billing.

There's gotta be some crazed fan who knows every trivial detail of the show. I figured he'd be hanging around this place. Maybe he's napping.
            My theory, and I don't know if this is correct, is that since Jackson and O'Neill are the original characters from the movie, they were considered the top 2. RDA, being a well known tv star before SG1 gets billing above the title. Always the "star" billing. Then MS was 2nd. When MS came back, rather than demoting AT, they gave MS "and" billing, which is sort of like getting the top spot under the title. So AT and MS were both given good spots in the billing.

Comment

Originally posted by oragans
              i think i heard from somewhere that michael shanks was not happy with the direction his character was going in season 4 and 5 as he thought that they were spending more episodes on our own planet than offworld (which i agree with)
              That is it exactly
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Yeah, he didn't have much to do. Daniel's expertise wasn't being used.

Comment

He thought he was not able to be an archeologist as much as he wanted
                  gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                  so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                  love Torri

Comment

Working...
                  X