Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Atlantis outshine SG1 Season Eight?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Atlantis outshine SG1 Season Eight?

Is anybody else thinking/concered that Atlantis season one will outshine/outdo SG1 season eight? I can't help but think that it will, judging by what I've read and the new pics from "Rising". It seems like all the creators efforts are going into Atlantis. I've also seen it happen before with a spin-off show in the case of Buffy and Angel. Angel's season 3 and season 4, were much better then Buffy's season 6 & 7.

Originally posted by Jonas
    Angel's season 3 and season 4, were much better then Buffy's season 6 & 7.
    You want to step outside for a minute?

I mean, seriously; 3/6 I'll maybe give you, but Season 7 made Season 4 of Angel look mimsy. Even when a power-that-was walked the streets of LA, Angel's still felt like the 'also-ran' apocalypse.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Although i enjoyed Angel's seasons 3/4, I think Buffy's seasons 6/7 was generally still always better than Angel, although Angel did have more dramatic scenes which i thought were much better. I think Season 8 of Stargate will not be outshined by Atlantis.
      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Buffy 7 was great, but come on! Season 6 sucked. The baddies were three geeks! Thats aawful!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
          Buffy 7 was great, but come on! Season 6 sucked. The baddies were three geeks! Thats aawful!
          Have you ever defeated 3 geeks trying to take over the world? Im sure its harder than it sounds

Comment

I don't know.
            On the one hand, you don't want Atlantis completely outshining season eight, as SG-1 rating would probably suffer because of it.
            However, on the other hand you don't want season 8 outshining Atlantis, as then people wouldn't watch Atlantis and the show would crash and burn, which we don't want to happen.
            So they'll probably be around equal, maybe Atlantis slightly better as it's getting off the ground and more attention is devoted to it.

Comment

I think that Atlantis is hobbled from the start. I don't think it stands a prayer of "outshining" SG-1... unless S8 is so appallingly bad that it drives fans away. Of course, if people hate S8 it's a question mark whether or not they'll like Atlantis since the same writers will be pulling the same stupid stunts on both shows.

Atlantis will probably be treated like the ugly red-headed stepchild, especially if SG-1 goes on for another season.

Failing that, I think the writers have pretty much proven they're out of ideas, so starting off a whole "new" show when you've forgotten how to write quality stories, well... It ain't gonna be pretty.

I hope against hope that Atlantis will be allowed to thrive, but after the frustrations of S6 and the near-constant disappointments of S7, I don't think there's much hope of that.

Gods forbid they should actually hire new writers to help...

Comment

Hopefully both series will thrive,but I tend to share some of Shadow's views about the potential of staleness from the writing/production teams.

Good Luck to both Shows,anyway.
                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I found Season 6 of Buffy - like Season 4 - to be better on a second viewing. Season 6 of Stargate held up well enough on DVD; except for Full Circle, which just gets worse.
                  Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                  - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

It is up to the writers and producers, and the chemistry between the actors.

Comment

I doubt very much that "all the creators efforts are going into Atlantis", I do think though that there's a bit of extra effort going into Atlantis - which is only logical as Atlantis is a whole new series with new characters, while SG-1 has 7 seasons of fleshing out behind it and doesn't need much more than a road map and new scripts.

I also think it's impossible to compare the first season of a new series to the 8th (!!!) of an existing series. The first season is always partially finding its feet and almost always involves a bit of stumbling (think of "Emancipition" from SG-1's first season), but at the same time it's all new and exciting. While an 8th season is stable in its characters, storylines and such, but also gets a bit "boring" because it's lost its newness. That last part takes a lot to overcome, but even if they don't entirely overcome it they still make very enjoyable episodes. I personnally found the whole of season 7 very enjoyable, the problem was that some episodes felt a bit done-before ("Revisions" for example) and I was hoping for more episodes about the bigger Goa'uld/Anubis storyline.

So no I'm not worried, if they manage to make season 1 of Atlantis better than season 8 of SG-1 I think that's a good sign for the future of Atlantis - but I still think it's uncomparable.

Comment

Well I think both series will do well because SG-1 already has a big following, Atlantis looks very good from what I have read and seen. Specially the new wraith pic on gateworld. I think it would be unfair to suggest that TPTB are putting all the effort into Atlantis and in doing so ignoring the SG-1, of course they want Atlantis to be successful so they will put extra work into it but that does not mean they won’t put any “creators efforts” into SG-1.

Overall I think both series should be judged on there on merit rather then comparing it each other or any other series. To answer the original question I don’t think Atlantis will out shine SG-1 or the other way round.
                        "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

I don't think Atlantis will 'overtake' Stargate straight away, I think the first season will have to be constructed very well in order for this to happen

However, I do think that Atlantis will get some great ratings
                          __

__

Comment

Off the topic a little...First, I think that they will be about the same...but they are quite different...S8 is going to be a another part in an ongoing story, which I liked S8 overall, where Atlantis has to not only suffer the "get off your feet" of a new show but even the needed basic explanation stuff of a new show...they will touch on basic gate stuff and basic...this is our new galaxy stuff...it will get better and eventually kind of run itself...I think that people are being too hard on SG-1...I think alot of what made S7 feel a little odd is that they didnt plan for it...They thought that S6 was it and then...oh, we got another season okay what do we do...this year will be better because they did have an idea that it was coming...and the off topic part....I think or hope that they do more "discovery of the past stuff"...I really liked the one where Daniel finds the fossils of old snakes...finding out the history of the Goa'ulds rise to power might be cool and I hope that they do it...anyway just rambling because I dont want to get back to work

Comment

Everybody should tune into both. Just because.
                              "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

Working...
                              X