This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moral questions

Has anyone else considered that if Atlantis destroys the incoming wraith ships they will also kill all of the human beings on board in the freezers waiting to be lunch? Potentially destroying a hive ship could kill thousands if not millions of innocent people.

Disturbing....
    "Everything done in weakness fails." ~Nietzsche

First of all a hive ship doesnt have millions of humans on it. SPOILERS DEFIANT ONE
    Spoiler:
    The speacial ship we saw in Defiant One which was speacially designed to carry humans had 10,000 humans. The main attack ships dont hold that much.
    Secondly those humans are already dead. There is no way that Alantis can free them. So there already dead and i think i would rather die by being blown up or something then by having the life sucked out of me.

Comment

Well without seeing The Siege yet Atlantis has 3 choices...

1. We let them invade us and take over Atlantis eventually Earth.
      2. We find some way to kill only the wraith and possibly get wiped out in the process.
      3. We destroy the Wraith Hive ships and the humans onboard who are already dead.

Call me cruel but I'd rather kill thousands of humans then have the life sucked out of me and every other human on Earth.
      Condemnant quod non intellegunt.

Comment

I don't see the dilema as those pple are effectively dead anyway, least i'd be quick and less painful/frightening than having ur life sucked out of you

Comment

its the same situation as with killing a goa'uld. you kill a human host at the same time but you dont have much of a choice. when the situation permits, you try to save the host like in the cases of skaara and sarah, but the majority of times you dont have that option. if there was a way to save the humans, sure you go for it, but the number of lives that would be lost if you dont take the first opportunity to destroy them far outweighs the number of lives list on the ships exploding

Comment

I agree with KingofAquitaine: Those people are for all intents and purposes dead. But look at it logically: If Atlantis attacks the ships, there is a slim (and I mean SLIM) chance that some may be saved-- meaning the Wraith are defeated without Atlantis destroying the ships. On the other hand, if Atlantis does nothing, or tucks tail and runs, those people are gonna be eaten anyway.

See the Clips | IMDB site | Official Site
            ---------------------------------------------
            ---------------------------------------------
            Proud Rodney McKay Thunker | Proud Jayne Cobb Thunker | Keeper of the M.A.L.P.-on-a-Stick

Comment

I think the people onboard agree, the wraith are bad.

not all would be dead.

save who you can when you can.
              "I was just looking at the sky, Trying to figure out how many stars we'd actually been to."

Comment

Not much of a choice. Even daniel would have to let that one fly.
                Its you or them, and they are dead either way.

Spoiler free since Jan 3 2005 (It's getting harder each day)
                DOOOOOOOM!

Comment

Destorying a hive ship with just as many humans as Wraith on it doesn't conflict with my morals at all. The humans should've done a better job at fleeing during the culling. Once they got grabbed by the Wraith, they became casulties of war, or a happy meal... Whichever you want to call it is up to you.
                  Spoiler:
                  Life isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Comment

Presumably if the hive ships are moving onto the next feeding ground, then those aboard are already dead. So if you can get a quick kill in I think it is worth it. After all, it kill or be sucked to death!

Comment

I dont think the humans on the wraith hive ships are all dead, atleast not the most recent ones.
                      The Gift spoilers-
                      Spoiler:
                      The Wraith on the ship sucked one of the humans and he was alive (the one that Teyla was reading the mind of)

sigpic
                      Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
                      Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
                        I dont think the humans on the wraith hive ships are all dead, atleast not the most recent ones.
                        The Gift spoilers-
                        Spoiler:
                        The Wraith on the ship sucked one of the humans and he was alive (the one that Teyla was reading the mind of)
                        When we say already dead, we mean that there is no way to save them. Those ships have thousands of Wraiths on them and there is no way to save those people.

Comment

I agree with most of the posts here, the humans that are onboard the hive ships are almost as good as dead anyway. To say we should save them is like saying we should go after all the humans that have been culled. And in The Gift
                          Spoiler:
                          it was made clear that the Wraith want Atlantis because it's the only way to get to Earth. And as a result, the entire Milky Way. I think if you have to pick a few thousand people over an ENTIRE galaxy, that is (granted not a nice choice) but a simple choice.
                          And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                          Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                          Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                          Daniel: Oh! You see?
                          Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Just to be safe they should smash the control crystal, earth can still dial them if they need and it removes all immediate danger to earth
                            "Everything done in weakness fails." ~Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by spiceweasel
                              Just to be safe they should smash the control crystal, earth can still dial them if they need and it removes all immediate danger to earth
                              That's thinking with your brain. LOL I can just see the people on Atlantis freaking out- Oh my god the Wraith are coming..let's call Earth for reinforcements! Oh wait, we broke the crystal so they have to call us first. Crap.

Not to mention the fact that if the wraith took atlantis and then Earth dialed in...the wraith would run through the gate and kill everyone in SG1 then take over the gate etc etc etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X