It wasn't about Young, it was about Rush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azzers View Post
    You know, there is a literalist way to look at this. The simulation itself was supposed to be enormously complex model of something. That much we knew. We infer that it was a test of mental states based on two facts:
    1. Rush said it while he was trying to replace Young
    2. The ship starts again when Young gets "his head right"

However, mind Franklin says that he didn't "solve the problem." When he says that, Rush assumes that the aliens are behind them dismissively. Only to have Franklin respond that there may be dangers ahead. It's very Q from TNG.

What if it actually IS a modeled scenario of something that is about to happen. Perhaps not a literal copy, but something the ship realizes is likely to happen in the future with perhaps different aliens. All it is doing is running probabilities and testing the commander's responses against those probabilities. In essence, it is Groundhog Day in the same sense that the movie was. It's purpose is to make the commander and the ship find a way out of what it sees as an impossible situation.
    What about a training program, that would be a good way to test more than one possible solution. Then the receiver would be indeed Young, cos he's the on who made the decisions what to do, as we've seen most of the time.
    sigpic

Comment

I doubt Destiny would want to hamper normal operations of the ship too much. Granted it stopped mid flight when it wasn't happy with Young's command, but that's still less of a problem than hooking up the entire crew and testing the mental strength of all of them until they reach breaking point. Destiny doesn't even seem to have the CPU capacity for such a massive realistic simulation.

It should in any case be stressed that Destiny was running a hyperrealistic "no win" scenario. The chances of people breaking under such conditions are extremely high I would imagine, especially amongst those who have never been trained for it and those who have never had or even wanted to have command of anything in the first place (and since being a good commander/manager is a fairly rare talent I'm sure the absolute majority of the crew would flunk Destiny's stress test). There's no point in submitting everyone to that at the same time. All you need is to do a one on one until you find a leader who can withstand the testing to Destiny's satisfaction.
      I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

The ship was in Young's head, and it's in Rush's head too. Rush was questioning Young's ability to lead, suddenly scenarios start playing out testing Young's ability to lead in what looks like unwinnable situations. So maybe Rush triggered the tests (the ship interpreted his thoughts). After Young decides to move on from his "Kobayashi Maru", suddenly Rush knows how to bypass the program. Perhaps the ship let him know how to bypass it at that time. It may still be running but Rush probably doesn't know how to close program in his mind. The ship is trying to get Rush to sleep part of the time..., who knows, maybe the whole thing is in his head.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
          Destiny doesn't even seem to have the CPU capacity for such a massive realistic simulation.
          I think Destiny would waste more CPU cycles guessing how everyone on the ship would act than receiving input from every mind on the Destiny and updating the simulation accordingly. It would amount to distributing the computation of the simulation to everyone, with the Destiny having to resolve conflicts between every mind's output and presenting a smooth simulation to everyone.

Comment

It depends on how much memory it takes to adjust the remaining variables based on user input. Having the entire crew in on it would surely lighten the load, but then it would be using more memory to process all their reactions at once.

It also opens up the problem of how you'd engage such a scenario. Destiny got Young every time he fell asleep. It would have to knock out the entire crew on the spot to do the same for an all0encompassing scenario.

Comment

We all saw that Young screwed up some time ago, and Destiny apparently witnissed everything and wants to prepare the crew for whats to come. Apparently its gonna be very bad. Otherwise Destiny wouldn´t have put so much pressure on Young. We can only hope that the others can compensate for the lack that Young proposes at the moment.
              Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
              Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
              There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by rview View Post
                The ship was in Young's head, and it's in Rush's head too. Rush was questioning Young's ability to lead, suddenly scenarios start playing out testing Young's ability to lead in what looks like unwinnable situations. So maybe Rush triggered the tests (the ship interpreted his thoughts). After Young decides to move on from his "Kobayashi Maru", suddenly Rush knows how to bypass the program. Perhaps the ship let him know how to bypass it at that time. It may still be running but Rush probably doesn't know how to close program in his mind. The ship is trying to get Rush to sleep part of the time..., who knows, maybe the whole thing is in his head.
                That would be freeky, his use of the bridge has all been in his head. BUT i do feel the ship is in both their heads.

Comment

Working...
                X