This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Airlock View Post
    Classic case of infinite ammo. To be fair, they haven't expended a terribly overwhelming amount of ammo and they did "restock" in Twin Destinies, but they would have needed to bring cases and cases of ammo aboard initially. I own and shoot guns and trust me, the weight adds up so fast. Ammo is really heavy. At the rate they're going through it, they would have had to lug many creates of military surplus ammo onto the Destiny to be in comfortable supply.

And don't even get me started on the infinite magazine. Stargate is among the most guilty of TV shows to abuse magazine capacity to the point that it's just funny. They don't use FNP90s in SGU like in SG-1 and SGA. All the military assault rifles in the show are M4 carbines + a few HKs. They're all select fire and have magazines that hold 30 rounds of 5.56x45mm NATO (or .223). They're usually firing in full-auto instead of semi-auto, which in real life would burn through those 30rnds in just a few seconds. But on tv they just lay down endless spray fire and every once in a while we'll see a magazine reload (if the director deems it relevant to show). SGU is still better about it than SG-1 and SGA.

But yeah, it's as if they have more guns and ammo than they do people. Sign me up!!
    Agreed. My husband was an infantryman for nine years in the Army and this stuff bugs him to no end.

Comment

Classic case of infinite ammo. To be fair, they haven't expended a terribly overwhelming amount of ammo and they did "restock" in Twin Destinies, but they would have needed to bring cases and cases of ammo aboard initially. I own and shoot guns and trust me, the weight adds up so fast. Ammo is really heavy. At the rate they're going through it, they would have had to lug many creates of military surplus ammo onto the Destiny to be in comfortable supply.
      I agree with you about the idea of infinite ammo and that it's also heavy, but u forgot something. Something that solves the problem of heaviness. It's a little thing called kino slide. A little thing that can carry lots and lots of heavy stuff.

Comment

Good and interesting Episode!
        I am also glad the ratings are going up!
        Kevin Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by PrometheOSS View Post
          I agree with you about the idea of infinite ammo and that it's also heavy, but u forgot something. Something that solves the problem of heaviness. It's a little thing called kino slide. A little thing that can carry lots and lots of heavy stuff.
          When Airlock said intially I was under the impresseion that they meant when the crew gated from Icarus to Destiny originally, before they had the Kino slide. I may be wrong but I thought that is what Airlock was getting at, which is pretty true.

Comment

you forgot that there were no "kinos" at Icarus base. Eli came up with that invention once they were already aboard Destiny. I think the episode was Water? They managed to bring practically their entire inventory in the armory when they fled from Icarus to the Destiny.

Comment

you forgot that there were no "kinos" at Icarus base. Eli came up with that invention once they were already aboard Destiny. I think the episode was Water? They managed to bring practically their entire inventory in the armory when they fled from Icarus to the Destiny.
              I am pretty sure there was an episode (maybe 2.5 onwards, could be earlier though) where you hear them counting the ammo left. Does anyone have that information?

Comment

you know what just occurred to me? when the Lucian Alliance attacked, they brought a TON of projectile weaponry and explosives. They were planning on staying there for a while. Destiny's crew inherited ALL that stuff. I'm sure that in reality the LA rounds wouldn't be the correct caliber to properly chamber within the M9s/M4s/UMP45s but for convenience sake (which the writers tend to favor) it's fair to assume that the LA ammo is now "our" ammo and it just works.

Comment

you know what just occurred to me? when the Lucian Alliance attacked, they brought a TON of projectile weaponry and explosives. They were planning on staying there for a while. Destiny's crew inherited ALL that stuff. I'm sure that in reality the LA rounds wouldn't be the correct caliber to properly chamber within the M9s/M4s/UMP45s but for convenience sake (which the writers tend to favor) it's fair to assume that the LA ammo is now "our" ammo and it just works.
                  Yep and then they doubled up with Twin Destinys. So now they have potentially more than 4x their original amount brought. Well not 4 as they used some, but you know.

I love how they didn't seem to want to give the LA any guns during The Hunt but were more than happy to give them some of their mines, like they couldnt do any damage to the Earth guys with them.

Comment

haha yeah, the C4 would leave a mark. But it's more symbolic or gestural that Young was first hesitant to offer his sidearm to Varro. With explosives you have to use more strategy and account for more environmental factors. With guns you can be pretty spontaneous without having to deal with a blast radius. So I can see how Varro was given C4 once Young came around to trusting him. From here on out it looks like the LA aboard the Destiny are on our side. If there weren't 4 episodes left I'm sure we'd see the LA/Earth relationship play out to its full extent making it all the more interesting because of the dynamic aboard the Destiny with the remaining LA. There's still that chance that Varro and company are just on good behavior for the time being until they are officially free from the Earth crew, at which point they would rejoin their cause. OR alternatively, they could prove instrumental in forging a stand-down between their fellow LA and Earth - possibly even a truce. Hopefully we'll get some more development on that before the show ends.

Comment

Since their weapons looked similar, it is safe to assume most were of similar caliber.

Comment

I meant while getting the extra stuff from the twin Destiny. That's when they could have used it to get all of the ammo there on the alternate Destiny.
                        On Icarus, I remember every person taking something on their hand while going through the gate and Colonel Young threw lots of stuff before he went through himself.

Oh and u r right about the time of creation of the kino slide was on the episode water.

Comment

I'm doing a rewatch (actually, I'm transcribing it for the SG wiki, so it's a detailed rewatch) and the level of what I perceive to be insubordination is kind of grating on me. Perhaps some military type could clarify, but is it not inappropriate for James to be going on at length about how likely it is that TJ and Reynolds are dead while they're getting ready to go on the rescue mission, with her commanding officer just a few feet away? Is it not inappropriate of Greer to tell Young that his plan to double back is wrong?

Honestly, I don't know if my distaste about these things is just a result of having watched too many inaccurate portrayals of this stuff, or if it's justified. Someone care to shed some light?
                          sigpic

Comment

In the military we are not only allowed to voice our opinion, but sometimes encouraged to. BUT once the higher up make their choice, we jump to it!

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                              This thread is seemingly quiet. Perhaps the true blue SGU fans don't approve of this episode the SG fans seem to love.
                              FYI:
                              1. SGU fans are Stargate fans.
                              2. Some of us have busy lives in RL

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                              I dug the Volker/Park thing because it was honest and it didn't come out of nowhere - hints of it back in Malice more than anything, which I picked up on there. Shame it ended how it did but I am so unsurprised it's not funny.
                              Now see, given that it’s Mallozzi’s ep I am surprised. SG writers have this annoying tendency to always pair the pretty girl with a nerd and Mallozzi especially excels in that. So it took me by surprise that this time he decided to try something new (for him).

Now, the issues: One is the fact we lost like five people out there in the hunt, and it didn't feel as impactful. (..) While the lost two Lucians were mentioned there at the end, it just felt... dismissed. Mallozzi, in other words.
                              I partly agree. Yes, it’s annoying and yes, it’s typical for Mallozzi but: firstly, at least it was touched upon with a line re bodies’ burial and at the end and secondly, the ep was so tight that I don’t know where it could have been added. I certainly didn’t miss it during the ep, just afterwards when I started to think about it. So while it was very far from perfection, I’m still counting it as an improvement for Mallozzi.

Nope, Rush decides to be cartoon-y and trap Brody in a stasis pod to teach Eli a lesson. While I can have a good laugh at that, it didn't feel like the natural way to go on from the dark place last week left us on. Like, at all. Again, it felt dismissive and iffy for SGU, and it seems clear that the intention was to not bother with Eli having any more rebellious thoughts against Rush despite the fact he is completely right to, because oh ho ho let's all have a laugh about Brody and Eli being inferior to Rush and as such we should skirt over the serious issue with humour. Didn't sit right.
                              I completely get what you are saying here, I do. Personally, it was so out of place for me that throughout the ep I kept searching for some alternative explanation for Rush’s actions – I’ll come back to this later in this post.

As for Eli, I do hope this is not the end of his rebellion. His actions here are a nice continuation of the last episode: he’s angry with Rush and questions his authority, rightly so. I hope it will continue.

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                              TJ and Varo relationship is blossoming, and Young is obviously stalking her or at least Varo around the ship.
                              Now this, I don’t understand. How is Young “obviously stalking” TJ? Or Varro for that matter? Given the fresh injuries it seems that the scene in Varro’s quarters takes place very shortly after everyone’s return. Earlier on the planet Young and Varro had a nice convo re rescuing TJ so it seemed natural to me that the colonel would come to thank Varro for keeping his word and bringing her back. He seemed genuinely surprised and disappointed to see her there. I see absolutely nothing supporting this crazy theory about stalking.

As for the exploration of the Destiny I still feel they done more exploration that they ever did on Atlantis.
                              On this we can agree.

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                              I'm still trying to figure out what was causing Greer to act the way he did. I understand that he donated a kidney, but for him to go from super risk taker to super chicken was a bit of a stretch.
                              Did you miss by any chance his talk with James? Because he explained exactly what freaked him out so much.

Also, Greer has been portrayed as pretty sensitive guy right from the beginning. You don’t have to look further than his speech about dying inside a star from Light.

Originally posted by derrickh View Post
                              . People seem to think Rush's prank was harmless fun, but I saw it as a way of putting Eli in his place. Eli is as smart or smarter than Rush and Rush needs to maintain dominance over him as much as possible. As soon as Eli started showing some backbone, he decided to knock the kid down a few pegs, putting another man's life in jeopardy in the process.
                              Yep, this seems like Rush alright.

Col. Young needs to stop with the stalker stuff. TJ and Varro is a done deal.
                              This again, really?

Chloe was a jerk. She knew Greer has been hitting that for months and instead of warning the nerd guy off...'
                              Err…what? How could she know if the only one who heard anything about that was Matt? Greer and Lisa have been pretty discreet, and rightly so.

I just don’t get all the Chloe hate. I wasn’t a biggest fan of her in season 1, true, but this is ridiculous. It seems that some people blame her for not having feelings for Eli and think that it makes her some sort of evil witch. Oh please…

In other words, this is not stargate-ish. Stargate has always been rational and based on realistic facts.
                              LOL. I heard a few good jokes today but this one is by far the best.

Originally posted by sgc View Post
                              It's the case of the monkey trying to understand us. They may recognize we are intelligent, but they don't classify us as humans and themselves as monkeys. (...)
                              That’s an excellent point.

Also, this is exactly the kind of ambiguity this show should have when it comes to alien species’ intelligence.

Rush doesn't do anything without a reason. It was harmless fun, but it had a point. He didn't put Brody's life in jeopardy, and he needed to make Eli follow the protocol for such a situation. If Rush told him not to be so reckless, then Eli would ignore him or even confront him. This way, everybody wins. He knew that Brody would be fine.
                              Given Rush’s behavior in the past and especially in the last episode when he himself didn’t follow protocol (and btw, when does Rush follow protocol anyway?) and recklessly endangered his life which resulted in Eli having to give up Ginn to save him…why would Eli ignoring or confronting him be a bad idea, again?

And how exactly did Rush know that Brody would be ok? If he didn’t test the pods himself there was no way he could have known which means that he put Brody’s life in jeopardy and if he had already tested the pods, wouldn’t it mean that he himself had already broken the protocol (again)?

Originally posted by Detox View Post
                              It just completely makes no sense. They were clearly outnumbered and outsmarted by those creatures, yet after losing most of the team, they decided it was a good idea for only 4 people? Only 3 of them armed to continue onwards?
                              I don’t claim to know how does it look like in RL, but it’s common enough in movies. Private Ryan anyone? Also, TJ is not a regular crew member, but the closest (and only) thing they’ve got to a doctor. Without her onboard there would be even more fatalities in the future. So rescuing her at any cost seems pretty reasonable to me.

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              Though my thoughts on that is, since parks does seem to be with Greer, why would she have 'come onto' vokar the way she did, when she must realize volkar would not be able to take her?
                              How do we know she isn't? I mean, why seem to show affection/come onto a guy (volkar) in the past few eps, while you already have a steady relationship?
                              And once again I’m utterly baffled. Since when does affectionate = “come on”? Has it occurred to you that a woman can be friendly and affectionate towards a man and it can be completely innocent? Speaking from personal experience, I’m a very tactile person. I have a habit of hugging my friends – female and male – while greeting them and saying goodbye. Heck, pecks on the cheek happen too. Are you seriously trying to tell me that “I’m coming onto” my friends? Why is it so hard to accept that Lisa can be affectionate towards Volker while not expecting anything more? Especially since it’s all so innocent; she’s much more straight-forward when she means to have sex with someone.

Originally posted by Skiznot View Post
                              Am I the only one who thought Rush was being sinister? He was TESTING the stasis chamber on Brody in a very underhanded way and if something bad happened Eli would get blamed. Very true to character, like with the chair Rush wants to test it on somebody but knew he would never get permission.
                              Nope, you are not the only one. I reached the same conclusion. As much as the whole thing was played for laughs, this was actually a pretty big and serious deal.

Originally posted by senilegreen View Post
                              The whole food thing is still a hang up for me. These people should be skin and bones by now. Obviously the writers just don't care for dealing with real issues in their stories.
                              Right….I suppose that watching bunch of dirty, unshaven men and woman with uncut hair, unplucked eyebrows, hairy legs and armpits and no make-up would improve ratings so much. Because that’s exactly what people want to see.

I am also sure that you haunted Lost forums with the same complaints. Why didn’t Hurley lose weight? Why were Kate’s hands always perfectly manicured? Why did they all wear make up and have no excess of hair?

There are enough love triangles on that ship now that even Pythagorus couldn't figure them out.
                              Oww, don't sell Pythagoras so short. Mathematical genius that he was, he certainly was able to count to 2.

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                              People, who wanted a Teal'c/Ronon-like member on the ship, got what they wanted.
                              Wow, seriously? I haven’t thought of Varro as the Teal’c-like character (he’s certainly not Ronon) but now that you’ve mentioned it I can kinda see it. Interesting.

IWas it me? Or was there a pretty noticeable continuity error? It went from light to night-time darkness and then back to light. They didn't exactly set up camp and there was no break in the action that would have passed that much time. In the beginning of the episode TJ said "6 hours before we jump."
                              Nope, there is no mistake. TJ mentions the 6 hours deadline in the second half of the ep, not at the beginning. This is after the searching party has searched and then stopped for the night; and just prior to Varro and Greer finding them on the second day.

Originally posted by derrickh View Post
                              What's all this talk about Chloe not being insensitive? The girl might as well been giggling the entire time she was talking to the poor guy. She's the queen (princess?) of manipulating guys and her systematic breakdown of Eli was textbook in it's execution.
                              You know, I don’t want to be rude or insensitive, but all I can think after reading this is: wow, you’ve got some issues man. “Systematic breakdown of Eli”? “Manipulating guys”? What? Her only “fault” is that she fell in love with Matt rather than Eli, but since humans can’t really decide who they fall for, how exactly can you blame her for this?

She practically led Volker to the wolves. If she could tell he was falling for Park, then how could she NOT have known Greer and Park have been bumping uglies for months?
                              Let’s see…because Volker was rather obvious while Greer kept his personal life private? Not to mention that he's pretty hard to read.
                              There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                              sigpic
                              awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                                I'm doing a rewatch (actually, I'm transcribing it for the SG wiki, so it's a detailed rewatch) and the level of what I perceive to be insubordination is kind of grating on me. Perhaps some military type could clarify, but is it not inappropriate for James to be going on at length about how likely it is that TJ and Reynolds are dead while they're getting ready to go on the rescue mission, with her commanding officer just a few feet away? Is it not inappropriate of Greer to tell Young that his plan to double back is wrong?

Honestly, I don't know if my distaste about these things is just a result of having watched too many inaccurate portrayals of this stuff, or if it's justified. Someone care to shed some light?
                                In the real military, yes, that would be very inappropriate, but Stargate, and SGU in particular, has never been more than mildly military. Just look at how O'Neill acts. Tack on to that the fact that Destiny's command structure is looser than most, plus Greer's issues in that episode (a very big point, since he was never this insubordinate before), and the only oddity is James. Her behavior can just be excused as realistic expectations. As I took it, either she or Scott had already started their little back and forth. We came into the middle of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X