First Thoughts..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Thoughts..

After 10 years I finally decided to give this show a shot. Not sure picked the right episode to start but I didn't have the patience to start from the beginning, so I went with something with a familiar face (Varro).

First impressions... definitely not as bad as I thought, but not particularly great either. Is this episode a good representation of how the show is in general?

I found the plot a bit weak... though it's always nice seeing everyone run around in the same old forest. It felt a bit like those old horror/monster movies.. group of people on an alien planet get picked of one by one.

I admit that it was really nice actually seeing some alien creatures on Stargate, if the other two series lacked something it was some actual alien animals. The saiga - antilope thingies where really cute, sort of like creatures from Avatar, and the monster reminded me of the Tiger from Croods (only uglier by far).

But seriously, the ending. All that dramatic hunting and the creature just let's them go? It's like the raptors in Jurassic park getting all friendly.. oh wait.. that happened.

The whole episode was full of confusing drama and yet it led to nothing in the end. Even when they were tracking the creature you got the feeling they were just taking a stroll in the forest.

I was a bit disappointed by Varro's character. After all that skilled hunter/tracker talk I expected him to have some badass input at the end, instead he got left behind in the forest and randomly appears after the rescue. You almost got the feeling they'd forgotten about him. Shouldn't he have a radio?
    I was hoping his character was a bit more fun, like the Ventrell. Varro comes across too much like the guy next door.
    The Lucian Alliance used to be more badass in Sg-1.. but maybe I'm just being unfair after one ep.

Also "baby monsters". XD

That said, I really liked the spaceship part with the status pods and Dr Rush.
    Let's face it, this is Mr Gold/Rumplestiltskin making life hard for the crew of a spaceship.

I'm a bit surprised by the choice of actors for this show.. on one side you've got Robert Carlyle and one the other everyone else. It's not that everyone else is rubbish (although based on this episode I'd say some aren't far away...), but he's in a completely different league. I can't help but feel that he'd be better matched against someone like Michael Shanks.

As a first impression of the show as general I'd say... too big a cast (like butter spread on too much bread, if you catch my drift), too forced dialogues, to much unnecessary drama without any actual impact. Not enough "Stargate" feel about it.

One the other hand, some cool alien concepts and well.. Robert Carlyle.

Being fair to the fact that one episode is rarely a good average, I'll give it another shot. One down.. and the rest to go.
Working...
X