Greer appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greer appreciation

Simple thought really. Greer has always been one of my favorite characters. His presence is absolutely necessary to SGU. Who agrees and disagrees, and why? Thread appropriate in this spot because of him never regretting the organ transplant. His attitude now proves what's been 'in there' from episode 1. I'm just scared about TJ and her comforting look. He doesn't need a oddly comforting look. He needs to stay "strong" like he's always been.
    sigpic
    Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
    O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
    Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
    O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

I also am a big fan of Greer. If the show can be proud about one thing. It is Greer. He has been the most dynamic, most mindful character. Although it seems like he is a bit irrational, when it comes down to it he is looking to do what is the best for the most people. And also wants to do the right thing.

He has grown, and is really an excellent character.
    Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

I've always thought he's different and a cool guy. But after "Hope"... man, I am in love!
      sigpic

Comment

Greer has been one of my favorites since the beginning.

Perfecto!

Comment

I hadn't really been a fan of Greer, but the last few episodes have changed my mind about him. I was impressed by how he was willing to donate his kidney to Volker despite the risks that he knew were involved. It was something that had to be done, and he could do it, so he did. I also loved that he went with Volker down to hydroponics before the operation, so they could sit there like Volker remembered doing in his backyard back home. I like seeing the side of him that is a loyal and caring friend being shown alongside with the usual depiction of him as being a tough soldier.
          sigpic

Find your Destiny

Comment

Nothing is what it seems, it's certainly the case with Greer. A great character, someone who contrary to first impressions is someone who is fair and considerate to those who merit it. Those who don't..........http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/dis...um=942&pos=931

Comment

I like how the show developed him using an extended period. Like assume most people like him with a tough exterior, take a long time to get warmed up to. The audience in that sense gets to know him like a stranger would, our initial impressions of him being formed by his hot-headed and seemingly harsh behaviour.

For me, his most telling development so far was actually in the episode with Wray. The actor has managed to execute the many facets of Greer's personality very well. Credit to him, I hope he gets more good roles in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora24 View Post
                I hadn't really been a fan of Greer, but the last few episodes have changed my mind about him. I was impressed by how he was willing to donate his kidney to Volker despite the risks that he knew were involved. It was something that had to be done, and he could do it, so he did. I also loved that he went with Volker down to hydroponics before the operation, so they could sit there like Volker remembered doing in his backyard back home. I like seeing the side of him that is a loyal and caring friend being shown alongside with the usual depiction of him as being a tough soldier.
                Agreed. He was willing to donate not only his kidney to Volker but spend time with him and make him feel at ease in the hydroponics bay before the operation. That speaks loads about the high quality of his character.
                sigpic

Comment

Greer is the man. If they ever do an SG show again and the crew gets home he has my vote for an SG team. Im a little worried though that he might be in danger since he keeps getting infections. I would be really unhappy if he went to the great big Gerald Field in the sky.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf O'Donnell View Post
                    Greer is the man. If they ever do an SG show again and the crew gets home he has my vote for an SG team. Im a little worried though that he might be in danger since he keeps getting infections. I would be really unhappy if he went to the great big Gerald Field in the sky.
                    Spoiler:
                    He seems to be up and about in "The Hunt".
                    sigpic

Comment

His presence may be necessary but I still think he a gonna. Dead by the end of the season I am afraid.

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      He seems to be up and about in "The Hunt".
                      Spoiler:
                      He fluff to shots, got blurry vision, he up because he to stubborn to admit he needs care and attention and some antibiotics. This is just the calm before the storm I am afraid, as I said he a gonna.

Comment

I hated, absolutely HATED Greer throughout the first season. But since Season 2 and especially 2.5 has come into play he has just developed into an amazing character. I think when you see him volunteer in Twin Dest, and then when he talks to Wray. Now the kidney transplant. He is amazing. I think he knows that they need the scientists on there more, he understands the mission more than he lets on.

Comment

I’ll add to this most deserved appreciation with a long post (you have been warned).

It amazes me when I read some reviews of the last few episodes and it is clear that the reviewers think that Greer is just finally learning not to be angry or just discovering that Jamil Walker Smith can act. Where have these people been? There are so many misconceptions about the character I barely know where to start.

For example some out there have claimed they don’t buy Greer giving up his kidney for Volker. They concede that Greer might do this for one of the military personnel but not for a “civilian”. But if they have been paying attention they would realize that Greer is the type of guy who wants to do what’s best for the ship and the crew. Volker’s continued presence aboard Destiny is a plus, he is arguably one of the most valuable people onboard. I could easily see Greer volunteering to donate a kidney for that reason alone. However it’s more than that. Volker and Greer may not be close but Volker essentially part of a collection of people whom Greer likely sees as an extended family. When I read remarks just a couple of weeks ago that Greer really doesn’t care for or trust anyone outside the military, I knew that flew in the face of what has been presented to us in the series. Last time I checked Greer has been intimate with a non-military crew member (Lisa Park). He has been at ease with Eli since the very beginning and recently felt the need, as a friend, to not only push Eli in the direction of a woman he knew Eli shared a connection with (Ginn), but go against his orders by allowing Eli and Ginn to spend some quality alone time with one another. Greer has also never shown any animosity towards Chloe either. Recently he even went as far as to seek her forgiveness when he thought he would eventually be ordered to take her down.

But perhaps the best example of Greer’s true feelings regarding the civilians unfortunately happened to be misinterpreted by more people than I could count. The scene I’m thinking of is when Simeon walks into the mess hall and says something so insulting to Park that Brody and Volker jump out of their seats to protest. As the tension grew Greer came in and took on Simeon for all of them. He told Simeon to not “mess with his people” and told him to go on his way. For some reason a bunch of folks interpreted that as an action Greer took to protect Park whom he at times shared a bed with. Some even went as far to criticize Greer as being too possessive of Park during that moment and claimed Park was uncomfortable because of it. Nonsense. First of all how does the word ‘people” get translated into meaning only Park? Greer wasn’t standing up just for Park, he was warning Simeon to not mess with ANY of Destiny’s crew members who were by this time truly his people. It was a nice touch by the writers to show Greer’s growth and opening up but it obviously went over the head of many viewers, especially those who were eager to dismiss the moment as another angry outburst by Greer (even though Greer kept a cool head in the scene and never inflicted any harm on Simeon). Greer did ask Park if she was alright (I interpreted her solemn nod as more of an indication at how troubled and spooked she was by Simeon’s aggression and what resulted from it), but that was perfectly reasonable since he does care about her and because she was the target of Simeon’s unwanted attention. However it was ridiculous for people to think he was being possessive of Park when as a character he has never displayed such traits. Since we have not been presented scenes in which Greer has acted paranoid and possessive regarding Park’s affections and attentions, how can anyone jump to such conclusions anyway)? Fact is Greer was taking up for not just park but for Brody and Volker who would have gotten their butts kicked by Simeon if it got to a point that fists started flying. “My people” was a clear indication that he saw the scientists and civilians as part of his extended family.

Heck, he even displayed consideration to Ginn despite the fact that she was part of the LA team that had recently tried to take over Destiny, killing a few of Greer’s fellow crewmembers in the process. There wasn’t any indication that he had any animosity towards her or mistrusted her. He wouldn’t have pushed Eli into hooking up with Ginn (let alone setting it up that he would be left alone with her without having anyone watching guard) if he was distrusting of her. In other words he did not try to paint all of the LA members with a broad brush. If you think about it Greer hasn’t had a problem with people just because they weren’t in the military. He has had issues with those whom he considered untrustworthy or troublemakers or in the case of Camille Wary, those who were hostile towards him. Greer seemed to be at ease with the civilians even back during the early part of season one. It wasn’t until the mutiny that he grew weary of them and even that lasted only for a short time. And his disdain for Telford and his agitation in regards to Spencer proved he wasn’t going to only give military personnel preferential treatment. He has always been more flexible on this issue than people gave him credit for.

As for his putting himself at risk for Volker with the whole kidney thing that is simply part of his personality. This is the guy who said he would volunteer to risk sitting in the Chair if it meant getting the “crew” home. This is the same guy who took the first stab at eating the “sweet potato” and who gulped down a potentially poisonous fruit during the episode “Life” without any regards to his own well being. Despite his flaws he has almost put the well-being and lives of others before himself. The same can’t be said of a guy like Rush. He’ll give everything to help a friend. His actions in “Cloverdale” are the perfect example of that type of selflessness. Viewers who remembered this should not be surprised that he would step up to help Volker.

Then there is the whole “angry soldier” or “angry black man” tag that he gets from some corners. I was ticked when some reviewer of some site mentioned in his writeup of “Alliances” that he was happy to see Greer demonstrate positive qualities because up to that point he had been always angry, blah, blah, blah. Really? If there is one thing I’ll give the writers credit for this season is that Greer hasn’t been portrayed as “angry” at all. No more mad dog tactics such as in the episode “Subversion” in which Greer got one or two useless lines but only true impact came when he rushed in to pound unnecessarily on an already bloody Telford. There were fans who cheered that moment but I thought it was the nadir for Greer’s character because it made him out to be a mindless animal. I even complained about that to Joseph Mallozzi on his blog (he disagreed with my assessment). Thankfully none of that has occurred this season from what I can remember. Even when Greer is angry he has been shown to be under control and more cerebral in his approach. Most of all he hasn’t been sticking guns in the faces of every other antagonist.

Even with all the mistakes made in how they used the character in season one there were still moments that portrayed how more complex the character was. His opening address to the kino in “Light” in which he was not only calmly accepting his fate but was almost honored by the idea of going out in “a blaze of glory” at the hand of a star confirmed to me that this was an interesting and unique guy. In “Water” when he took no issue (professional or personal) with TJ’s point-blank admission that she did not trust him and decided to move away as ordered, this demonstrated how he would put his respect of duty and command above his own bruised ego and feelings. But my favorite moment was his talk with Scott in the kino clip “Drop The Sirs” during which he explained that Scott owed him no apologies for leaving him behind. It also deftly demonstrated Greer’s mindset when it came to the chain of command. It was an amazing scene and I have mentioned before that it was a crime that TPTB could not find time to squeeze that scene in any episode, relegating it to a separate kino clip instead. It may have defined who Greer is a soldier and a man better than anything that has come since.

Of course none of these examples I used would have been as effective if it wasn’t for the man bringing life to the character. As far as I’m concerned Jamil Walker Smith is one of the three best actors on the show along with Robert and Louis (he and Louis in real life are probably the two most different from their onscreen personas as well). The fact that he is about half their ages and has been acting as a result for a far less time makes that even more impressive. No actor has done more on this show with less. In the first season when you consider the seven main actors that appeared on every episode, Jami got less screen time and less dialogue than everybody else. To be blunt he got the Lt. Ford treatment, only his character was came packaged along with a character trait that was going to (and did) turn off many viewers. But what kept me and others from writing him off was the intelligence we could detect just by keeping attention on Jamil’s eyes. During season one he single-handedly kept his character from turning into a caricature for a god chunk of the audience. If he only got one line or one word, he made it count with a look, a gesture, a change in the tone of his voice. Watching the commentary of the SGU DVDs it was interesting to experience all the times in which his fellow cast members would stop to make special mention of his delivery, even when he didn’t have many lines to work with. Personally after watching those mentioned kino clips, when thinking about Greer’s powerful moment when apologizing ahead of time to Chloe in “Malice” or recalling how he squeezed a career’s worth of emotional range on his face during about twenty seconds in the final scene of “Alliances”, I am reminded of how special a talent he may be. It’s no wonder in a videotaped sitdown with a fan this past summer Robert Carlyle praised all of his co-stars but singled out Jamil for special mention. Robert knows talent when he sees it. Even amongst a group of actors on SGU who I think is the most talented to ever grace a Stargate series, Jamil Walker Smith stands out. During season one I thought TPTB wasted that talent far too often. This season I think they have properly used it. I’m astounded that there are those just coming around to grasping how talented he is.

Then again the fact for so long Greer still remained, in so many people’s eyes, as a one dimensional, angry, simplistic, underdeveloped character may prove the point I was trying to make to Mr. Mazzolli last year. Some characters got so much focus (probably too much) that it left others underexposed. It seems to me that this season they were really going out of their way to change that.

Comment

I have always been a fan of Greer. And even more so when in Hope he steped up to help Dale. I so wanted to ***** slap that other dude from one end of the Unvervise to the other for being such a jerk.

Can't wait to see Jamil next Sunday at Creation Vancouver.
                            MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                            MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                            POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                            CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                            GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                            VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                            FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Working...
                            X