Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone else get the feeling of Perry=Wintermute and Ginn= Neuromancer?
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Nemuro View Post

I loved Ginn and Amanda coming back but it is clear that Destiny and the two AI's are just not ready for their new found responsibility. It is a scary thought of a human's mind free from societal boundaries or even physical boundaries, that it was extremely dangerous for Rush to be with Amanda whilst she was calling all the shots. It really is the stuff of sci fi horror.

I imagine that whilst Ginn was the level headed one, that soon enough the circumstances of her digital imprisonment would have had her attempt to play out. So until the crew can find a way of letting the AIs coexist peacefully without having too much control over Destiny, it is safer having them quarantined. I just hope that quarantine doesn't mean Ginn, Franklin and Amanda pissing each other off for eternity

I'm actually glad SGU went to that level, than just having both Amanda and Ginn be happy go lucky AIs that do no wrong and perfectly fine where they are (aside from some existential angst of course).
      This is what I was afraid of- in "Hope" I thought it was kind of cool how they were uploaded into the AI of the ship-but I didn't know how I felt about them floating around the ship-popping in every now and then-as you described- to me that would have been rather-cheesy? Sitcomish? I don't know. And when I saw Rush and Amanda playing chess in his quarters at first I thought my worst fears were going to be realized.
      But I really liked how they handled this, and I liked the resolution-with Ginn and Amanda quarantined-they can come back again if need be. 'Course since we only have a few more episodes, that may not happen.
      I liked this episode more than I thought I would- it's not in my top ten-but I guess I was afraid that Woosley and McKay wouldn't be integrated into SGU that well, and I was pleasantly surprised, I thought they were integrated well. I need another re-watch to comment on the Langaran plot.
      A mention of Jonas Quinn would have been nice-surprised he wasn't mentioned.
      Glad to see Greer OK- for now, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Airlock View Post
        Maybe the writers feel that having Perry and Ginn aboard offers too much of an advantage to the crew -- in such a way that the two of them would be relied on perhaps a little too heavily to get the crew out of binds. But it still doesn't excuse the manner in which the writers are using the characters -- and it would be up to them to achieve the right balance.
        Especially seeing how Perry was on about the sensors this, the database that, programs the other... And how useful she was for TJ.. Imagine if they had both Ginn and perry doing it at the same time all over..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          Especially seeing how Perry was on about the sensors this, the database that, programs the other... And how useful she was for TJ.. Imagine if they had both Ginn and perry doing it at the same time all over..
          Don't forget Franklin... where's he been? The three make for a nice trifecta.

I guess at this point in the series the character I'm interested in most is "Destiny." It's still shrouded in mystery. Franklin, Perry, and Ginn are each in a position to teach us more about its secrets.

I'm just dying to know!!!

I want the full essay on Destiny but I can't even get the cliff notes. They only give us vague little blurbs.

Of course this is all the more urgent because the clock is ticking away on SGU

Comment

I thought this episode stunk because of the Langaran plot. Jack O'Neill would have never authorized the dialing of the 9th chevron to Destiny and risked the lives of millions of people on that planet. And no mention of Jonas is still a continued slap in the face. They wasted McKay on this episode. I enjoyed him but would have much rather had him been in an ep on Destiny. Enjoyed the bit with he and Eli.

The Rush plot was the better of the two (for RC and the Rush character stuff) even though it stunk because it was a quick fix to bottle up what they had just unleashed in the previous episode...help controlling Destiny from Perry and Ginn. Too easy a fix so they had to go...immediately. Though I think they could have been back eventually in future seasons.

Anyway, one of the other things this episode did was make me wonder if that's where the show was headed...eventually. Uploading people into Destiny...in particular Rush. That's how the show could have ended. Rush uploads himself into Destiny and continues on with the mission if they ever found a way to get the others back to Earth. I also thought they could upload dying crew members as well, but I doubt Rush would exactly want all those people fiddling around with Destiny.

After great episodes this season, this one was a major disappointment.
            IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
              I thought this episode stunk because of the Langaran plot. Jack O'Neill would have never authorized the dialing of the 9th chevron to Destiny and risked the lives of millions of people on that planet. And no mention of Jonas is still a continued slap in the face. They wasted McKay on this episode. I enjoyed him but would have much rather had him been in an ep on Destiny. Enjoyed the bit with he and Eli.

The Rush plot was the better of the two (for RC and the Rush character stuff) even though it stunk because it was a quick fix to bottle up what they had just unleashed in the previous episode...help controlling Destiny from Perry and Ginn. Too easy a fix so they had to go...immediately. Though I think they could have been back eventually in future seasons.

Anyway, one of the other things this episode did was make me wonder if that's where the show was headed...eventually. Uploading people into Destiny...in particular Rush. That's how the show could have ended. Rush uploads himself into Destiny and continues on with the mission if they ever found a way to get the others back to Earth. I also thought they could upload dying crew members as well, but I doubt Rush would exactly want all those people fiddling around with Destiny.

After great episodes this season, this one was a major disappointment.

We still don't know for sure if Jack really authorized the dialing of the 9th chevron. All we have is Telford's word and he's demonstrated on numerous occasions suspect behavior and that he may have his own agenda. They hinted at it even more when Telford tells McKay "I need you" and McKay responds "I thought Col. Young was in charge..." Then the camera briefly refocuses on Young in the background as Telford is then brought back to the foreground rephrasing the "I" with "we." There's something going on and we don't have the full story. He wants something and he's posturing to get it. For now we're led to believe that he wants his own team of "the right people" but for what exactly? And where does he truly stand with the LA? I wouldn't put it past Telford that he manipulated the facts.

As for everything else you mentioned, I pretty much agree. Episode = disappointment on many fronts. McKay could have been given a role where his contributions actually redeem his guest appearance. All they essentially used him for was to say "I have this mega game-changing plan that 100% certifiably will work" threw in some familiar McKay-isms (which I could watch all day long) and then he gets sent home with a giant "?" on his face, not able to find out the results of his super significant work. I think that's borderline criminal use of McKay.
              Last edited by Airlock; 09 April 2011, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                Imagine if they had both Ginn and perry doing it at the same time all over..
                This sentence can go many directions.

Comment

We still don't know for sure if Jack really authorized the dialing of the 9th chevron. All we have is Telford's word and he's demonstrated on numerous occasions suspect behavior and that he may have his own agenda. They hinted at it even more when Telford tells McKay "I need you" and McKay responds "I thought Col. Young was in charge..." Then the camera briefly refocuses on Young in the background as Telford is then brought back to the foreground rephrasing the "I" with "we." There's something going on and we don't have the full story. He wants something and he's posturing to get it. For now we're led to believe that he wants his own team of "the right people" but for what exactly? And where does he truly stand with the LA? I wouldn't put it past Telford that he manipulated the facts.
                  I wouldn't either, but there had to be several levels of approval for this mission just for them to go through the gate to Langara in the first place. Woolsey is IOA. Jack is head of Homeworld. Then I assume Landry is still at the SGC with the stargate...or where ever the stargate is now. McKay had to be discussing this option with higher ups. Young would probably want mission approval from his boss, General O'Neill, with an operation this big. etc.

IMO, Telford couldn't have orchestrated something like this and Jack not know or the others not know that they didn't have O'Neill's approval for the mission. They went there knowing they were going to attempt to dial Destiny, and the big dogs at the top, to include O'Neill, had to have approved this.

But I do think Telford still has an agenda to take command of the Destiny mission like he was originally supposed to do which is why he was so eager to go back...even though he was so damn eager to leave in Twin Destinies. This is an AU Telford so something could have been different in that timeline with him if the writers wanted to go there. Course Telford just doesn't like Rush so he'd rather have McKay which I guess he thinks he could control better.
                  IMO always implied.

Comment

The episode was a bit of a mess really. There were three story lines, none of which were fully realised there was no interaction between them and not enough of any storyline to become invested in the outcome.

As a SGU fan who has only watched a couple of SG1/SGA episodes, it felt like the introduction of the SGA storyline and characters was done to keep the traditional SG fans happy, not to advance the plot. I kept thinking "who are these people and what the hell are they talking about???". The simulation story was more interesting because I'm invested in the SGU characters, not the SGA characters, but the tone of that story was quite different and when it cut between the two it was quite jarring.

Then there is the throwaway Greer/Volker story which after the drama of Hope went nowhere.

Love SGU but it would have been a better eposiode if they had ditched the SGA stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by lgc27 View Post
                      The episode was a bit of a mess really. There were three story lines, none of which were fully realised there was no interaction between them and not enough of any storyline to become invested in the outcome.

As a SGU fan who has only watched a couple of SG1/SGA episodes, it felt like the introduction of the SGA storyline and characters was done to keep the traditional SG fans happy, not to advance the plot. I kept thinking "who are these people and what the hell are they talking about???". The simulation story was more interesting because I'm invested in the SGU characters, not the SGA characters, but the tone of that story was quite different and when it cut between the two it was quite jarring.

Then there is the throwaway Greer/Volker story which after the drama of Hope went nowhere.

Love SGU but it would have been a better eposiode if they had ditched the SGA stuff.
                      I think on the contrary, the episode would have been better if they allowed the contributions of McKay and Woolsey to succeed. It makes sense that McKay be the one on Earth who successfully comes up with the plan to dial the 9th chevron. Aside from Carter he's the best and most proven scientist Earth has. It was a perfect opportunity for an SGA cross-over, using McKay's scientific brilliance with Woolsey's IOA connections and diplomatic skills, BUT only if McKay's and Woolsey's plan was able to reach fruition and actually lead to something productive. It wasn't allowed to work, so in this case it practically negates their guest star appearances. It ended up culminating in a waste where the ONLY redeeming quality was the nostalgic factor of seeing Woolsey and McKay back in action.

Besides, with a mythology as deep and longstanding as the Stargate franchise -- and given how things ended with Atlantis, the cross over is appropriate -- just (in Seizure's totality) executed in a very unfulfilling way imo.

Comment

As others have said, Jack may not have approved the mission. He is not the final world on all matters, he may have argued against it but there were too many people saying yes. Jack was only briefing the president and chairman and then Jack believes the alliance will move in a matter of days and that the Langarans would prefer siding with earth given the choice not that he gave his full hearted go ahead.

I also like that "thank you" from woolsey to McKay.

Comment

Don't forget Franklin... where's he been? The three make for a nice trifecta.
                          Perhaps when Rush turned off the interface, franklin got mopey and decided to not show up this time..

Comment

good episode!
                            Kevin Morgan

Comment

I am so in love with Amanda Perry (and Ginn)... I hope we see more of her before SGU ends

Comment

Is it my imagination or did we abandon the gloom of SGU being a BSG wanna-be and actually decide that Stargate is worthy?

I actually LAUGHED in this episode. I was entertained. Leave it to Rodney...

Comment

Working...
                                X